Realistic Half Marathon Pacing

Options
2»

Replies

• rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You're kidding, right? If you're putting your heart into your running, you'll beat that time with fifteen minutes to spare.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You are doing the Maryland double aren't you?
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
    When I ran mine, I averaged 10+ minute miles before my race. I ran it in 2:20 and averaged less than 10 minute miles. I would be optimistic about a time closer to 2 hours. You run faster in a race environment. Also...you obviously have time to train which means you will get faster.
    You will do great! Also, Hal Higdon's plan is awesome.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options

I am doing the MD double.
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice. I'm really looking forward to getting the real training started.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I am doing the MD double.

I'm signed up for the Frederick half too! :) Considering the double, but I've never been a distance runner so this is all new to me--but pretty addicting!! See you there!

PS: I have no pace advice for you since I'm a pretty new runner (just did the Jingle All the Way 8K last weekend in DC though woot!) - but I appreciate everyone else's responses on here!
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to slowly increase my distance base up to near 13.1 before i do Hal Higdon's training plan starting in Feb. I'm only increasing my long runs by about 10% every time.

I think I will take your advice and do my longer run this weekend as shorter distance, but at a faster pace.
    I LOVE hal higdon's training plans!

I used to train by the idea of "train at the pace you want to race." Longer runs may be slower at first, but I would make sure that my shorter runs were of a faster pace -- thus my body knew the pace. As my mileage would increase, I would increase my pace i.e. 5 mile runs may be race pace at first and 10 mile runs would be slower. Increase to 6-7 mile runs at race pace and 12 at slower, until you build up.

Of course, I would add some faster slower runs into the mix after a while too. But you have a long time until May!

When I was racing, I would sometimes wear a wrist band with my pace times. When I would hit a mile marker, I knew if I was on pace or not. The first few miles are easy to run too fast -- the adrenaline and pace of the crowd around you.
  • bshedwick
    Options

I'm signed up for the Frederick half too! :) Considering the double, but I've never been a distance runner so this is all new to me--but pretty addicting!! See you there!

PS: I have no pace advice for you since I'm a pretty new runner (just did the Jingle All the Way 8K last weekend in DC though woot!) - but I appreciate everyone else's responses on here!

Good luck training for the Frederick one. I've heard lots of good stuff about the race. Not too hilly, and the community is pretty supportive.
  • bshedwick
    Options

I used to train by the idea of "train at the pace you want to race." Longer runs may be slower at first, but I would make sure that my shorter runs were of a faster pace -- thus my body knew the pace.

I am definitely doing speed work during the week. Interval and tempo runs are the norm for me.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You will improve between now and the runs. You will surprise your self.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Yup that is realistic. However just make sure that on the last 3 miles, your pace is consistent. My longest run was 10.30miles and my pace dropped by about 1-2mins a mile in the last 2 miles. But that's because it was my first long run around that distance and still in training.

Dropped as in got slower?

I'm using Runkeeper on my iPhone with a coach that I can give a pace goal to, and it'll remind me how I'm doing. I may have to use that during my race.

Yeah got slower, just make sure to push yourself the hardest in the last part of the race. I find it that's the hardest part of running is to keep the pace at the end. Good luck! You will do well
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    You are doing all the right stuff and will probably beat those numbers in the first post :)
    Dont be scared to go out and actually run 21 km at some point before the race. Good peace of mind, and if you like running; fun.

How will you fuel during the race, and are you training for fueling ie: practicing what you will use during a long run?
    It's a shorter race but fueling is critical.

Cheers,
    E.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If I extend that split out to the full half marathon distance, its a 2:08. I'd be more than happy with that. A few weeks ago, I was thinking 2:40 would be a realistic time for me.

I still have a lot of training time left, so i guess i have time to get stronger.

Thanks for the tip

My husband just ran the half this weekend. He'd never run anything more than a 10K and this was recently. He did it in 2:42. Not bad for a first timer I think. So if you are signing up for it next year i think you'll have plenty of time to train and could do it in less than 2:40 :bigsmile:
    Good Luck!
  • bshedwick
    Options
    You are doing all the right stuff and will probably beat those numbers in the first post :)
    Dont be scared to go out and actually run 21 km at some point before the race. Good peace of mind, and if you like running; fun.

How will you fuel during the race, and are you training for fueling ie: practicing what you will use during a long run?
    It's a shorter race but fueling is critical.

Cheers,
    E.

Thanks! I'm planning on trying build up to a half marathon distance in my training so that mentally I know that I can run that distance w/o stopping. And I've rediscovered my love for running, so thats a key part.

Fueling will be something I'll have to practice more. I've been experimenting with eating something small during my long runs (over 1 hour), but will have to continue to try out other things.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My first half is March 18th. Im pacing like 11:40 miles. Longest run to date is 7.6. I just want a sub 3:00 time...but shooting for 2:50 :) My biggest fear? Training falls in the dead of winter...like now :(
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thats probably realistic for you based on your training. The biggest thing to be careful about in 1/2 marathons to full marathons is to resist the temptation to go too fast too soon. Typically you will feel really good the first few miles, especially if you have well rested legs. This usually fakes people into going harder than they have trained for so be careful. Stick to your pace. Good luck.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    FWIW - I totally reject all rules of thumb on increasing distance. I see that 10% one here all the time. I believe in listen to your body.
    I agree wholeheartedly. To me, it's in the same category as "1200 calories" and "8 cups a day". You won't be harmed by following those guidelines but they are helpful for folks who are new.

In the custom software business, I call it "training wheels" - tool tips and context sensitive help are very useful for beginners whereas experienced folks can disregard them.

The OP has a running history so he knows what feels right and what doesn't but there are lots of folks who have zero experience in running and they end up injuring themselves.
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Thats probably realistic for you based on your training. The biggest thing to be careful about in 1/2 marathons to full marathons is to resist the temptation to go too fast too soon. Typically you will feel really good the first few miles, especially if you have well rested legs. This usually fakes people into going harder than they have trained for so be careful. Stick to your pace. Good luck.

I will have to be sure to not go out too fast. I ran a 5k in the beginning of Nov, and my first mile was about 30 secs faster than I had wanted to. My last 2 miles were slower than i wanted to. Even more accentuated over 13.1 miles.