Attention Emergency Response Personnel Bashers!

Options
That police officer that you called a jerk for writing you a ticket, just spent 3 hours on the scene of a wreck where a drunk driver killed a family of four. Those firefighters that you're pissed at for shutting down the road, just pulled a grandfather out of a burning house. Those paramedics and EMT's that you think are driving too fast, are doing CPR on a two year old that didn't make it. They work hurt, sick, hungry, and tired. They are continuously asked to do more with less and they do it with a smile on their face. Why? Because they love what they do but most importantly, because they care. Think about that before you bash your public safety members. They are here for you and never once ask for a thank you.
So to all the Police Officers, EMTs, Firefighters and ER Personnel, THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    That was very nice. Good post.
  • trazrene
    Options
    Thank you
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Or maybe the police officer laughed and dismissed a statutory rape case, believing the abuser more than the victim who was later serially abused by the same abuser.

Seriously though, some people are bad, some people are good. You can't just pretend every police officer/firefighter/emt is a good person. Feel free to respect them the same way you should anyone else unless given a good reason, though.
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know an Officer or two who aren't one of the good guys as you put it but the majority of them are and they do a fantastic job.
    And just so you know, I am a Communicator and Police Dispatcher but I'm also a Victim Services Advocate in my community. I hear both sides of the story everyday.
  • interceptor0011
    Options
    Thank you. Much appreciated. :-)
  • AreneeG31
    AreneeG31 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    That police officer that you called a jerk for writing you a ticket, just spent 3 hours on the scene of a wreck where a drunk driver killed a family of four. Those firefighters that you're pissed at for shutting down the road, just pulled a grandfather out of a burning house. Those paramedics and EMT's that you think are driving too fast, are doing CPR on a two year old that didn't make it. They work hurt, sick, hungry, and tired. They are continuously asked to do more with less and they do it with a smile on their face. Why? Because they love what they do but most importantly, because they care. Think about that before you bash your public safety members. They are here for you and never once ask for a thank you.
    So to all the Police Officers, EMTs, Firefighters and ER Personnel, THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:

Thank you for this post! I am a new EMT and will cont my career in EMS and my husband is a police officer so this really hits home! Have a great day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jameskane
    Options
    Thank you. Much appreciated. :-)

no buddy, thank you!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yes, but some cops are indeed jerks - bullies in fact, hiding behind their badges.
    One such wanna-be tough thought flashing his badge off duty would keep me from collecting a debt some crumb owed.
    NOT!
    He blustered, got loud, made threats before my fist snapped back his head.
    Bullies never expect people just might stand up to them. SURPRISE!

Anyway, I do remain grateful for the service of the aforementioned folks, but their good work does not excuse the few who misuse their authority. I know one guy who'll think twice next time.
  • shadea4455
    shadea4455 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! My Dad's a police officer and I hate listening to people complain about cops all the time!! I wanna be like do you know that they're out working ALL NIGHT and sometimes for days at a time with no sleep to make sure that people stay safe?? And that he misses family gatherings, holidays, school events, etc. with his family to be out dealing with a**holes... So I second that THANK YOU to all the emergency personnel out there!!
  • cufirst84
    cufirst84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I total agree..... Hydro Lineman should be in there too !Funny when our lights and power go out, most people complain that they missed the ending to their "reality show...or that they cant have a warm cooked dinner or that they have been in the dark for a few hours.....not considering that someones father, dad or uncle have been working in the pouring rain ..snow storm & freezing temperatures working with THOUSANDS of electric voltages/currents and in a blink of an eye....things could go terrible wrong !
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Dave Carroll wrote a song called "Everyday Heros"; here is a link to the video http://youtu.be/Pm3eHZnfjPI or you can find the video on this site www.911Song.com
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    If you break the law then you take the consequences. Be it a parking ticket or a life sentence for murder.

A big thank you to all our emergency services in the UK but also to all civilians who have come to peoples rescue, EG: the awful crash on the motorway in November where civillians worked side by side with the emergency services risking their lives to pull people from burning vehicles :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

The world would be a terrible place without people who care more about others than themselves.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Or maybe the police officer laughed and dismissed a statutory rape case, believing the abuser more than the victim who was later serially abused by the same abuser.

Seriously though, some people are bad, some people are good. You can't just pretend every police officer/firefighter/emt is a good person. Feel free to respect them the same way you should anyone else unless given a good reason, though.

They are people.
  • interceptor0011
    Options
    Yes, but some cops are indeed jerks - bullies in fact, hiding behind their badges.
    One such wanna-be tough thought flashing his badge off duty would keep me from collecting a debt some crumb owed.
    NOT!
    He blustered, got loud, made threats before my fist snapped back his head.
    Bullies never expect people just might stand up to them. SURPRISE!

Anyway, I do remain grateful for the service of the aforementioned folks, but their good work does not excuse the few who misuse their authority. I know one guy who'll think twice next time.

I arrested someone who did just that. Noone hates bad cops more than the good ones.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I know an Officer or two who aren't one of the good guys as you put it but the majority of them are and they do a fantastic job.
    And just so you know, I am a Communicator and Police Dispatcher but I'm also a Victim Services Advocate in my community. I hear both sides of the story everyday.

The bad apples get all the press while the good folks go unnoticed.
    Not good....
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    HERE HERE!!!
  • interceptor0011
    Options
    I total agree..... Hydro Lineman should be in there too !Funny when our lights and power go out, most people complain that they missed the ending to their "reality show...or that they cant have a warm cooked dinner or that they have been in the dark for a few hours.....not considering that someones father, dad or uncle have been working in the pouring rain ..snow storm & freezing temperatures working with THOUSANDS of electric voltages/currents and in a blink of an eye....things could go terrible wrong !

Then they call the police about it and yell at us LMAO
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    How about that police officer that handcuffed me and refused to believe I was being abused? I had marks and still he didn't believe it. He threatened to bring me to JAIL because I passed out on him because of my medical condition. Those are some of the types we have working for us. I'm sorry but I don't like your post.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I generally tend to agree with and applaud this post. Of course, as a few commenters pointed out, they're not all good guys. No entire group of people is going to be. But it grinds my gears when I hear people say, "%&#ing cops, don't they have anything better to do than pull me over?" or "they're all a bunch of ________." The only people I hear make those types of comments are people who disobey the law (crazy drivers/people who like to drive inebriated).
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Agreed. My brother and my cousins are cops. My other cousin is an EMT. A couple of uncles are firefighters. And boy the stories they can tell.....