Salad Topping Ideas!

Options
2»

Replies

• ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    kelsey here ---> your salads sound amazing and healthy...

everyone else on this thread are so fattening!!!

Wow that's really nice to put down others that are just trying to share their ideas. Just b/c there is fat in something does not mean its unhealthy. Our bodies need some fat in our diets. Someone might appreciate salad suggestions that help get in some fat in their day.

sorry you are right... didn't mean to offend anyone - just didn't want to promote the myth that salads are healthy.... it depends what you have in them :(
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options

Wow that's really nice to put down others that are just trying to share their ideas. Just b/c there is fat in something does not mean its unhealthy. Our bodies need some fat in our diets. Someone might appreciate salad suggestions that help get in some fat in their day.

and i love salads, but mine are not always healthy either :)

sorry you are right... didn't mean to offend anyone - just didn't want to promote the myth that salads are healthy.... it depends what you have in them :(
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    salsa, sour cream, black olives.

grilled chicken, tomatos, sun chips garden salsa, spicey ranch

shrimp, crab, soy beans, red/green bell pepper, cheddar cheese, ginger dressing

steak, cuccumber, tomato, blue cheese, mushroom
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

I understand, there is just a nicer way to let people know that they should look at the nutritional info for the whole recipe and decide if it's right for them and their goals. :-). Hope I didn't offend you either, the comment just came off as very abrupt.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Taco meat, tomatos, black olives, black beans and fat free sour cream or plain greek yogurt mixes with salsa
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    my default dressing is EVOO + raw vinegar + italian herbs. I love a Mexican salad, with guacamole, cilantro, jalapenos, and queso fresco... salsa to taste. Add left over meat and you're done.

I find that the less dressing the better now.

I sometimes go sweet with spinach, walnuts and sliced strawberries, mix a little maple syrup into a basic oil & vinegar dressing and it's a fun change.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb and getting into the fried cheese bits. crispy and delicious.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    tomorrow, i'm doing a "pizza" salad.... it's in my diary for tomorrow in the noon slot.... i'm not using dressing, so it's not too bad on calories...
  • SHINAS
    SHINAS Posts: 24
    Options
    tuna with a little balsamic vinegar or shrimp
    sometimes i crisp some turkey bacon, onions, cucumber
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    oh, and one more thing.... i REALLY like the Tuna Creations foil pouches. the tuna is flavored and when i add it to a bed of greens, i swear there is no dressing needed. Lemon-pepper and Smoked Hickory are my two faves, and i pair the tuna and greens with cucumbers, red onion, and tomatoes.....
  • JessRanden
    Options
    What is in a pizza salad????
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like salad pizazz (sold at Walmart) with Newman's light raspberry and walnut salad dressing but it's kinda like having candy on top of your baby spinach!
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Cold chicken or pork, Romaine, hard boiled egg cut up or chopped, yellow onion slices or chopped, cucumber, and top it with red wine vinegar and some black pepper. Very low-cal and filling.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bump:happy: :tongue: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • KellyAnn1874
    KellyAnn1874 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love green olives, fat free Italian and croutons! It's simple but so delish!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I like picking a cuisine and basing my salad ingredients around that ie:

Italian- Figs (warm or cold) rocket (arugula) with balsamic vinegar and proscuitto ham (or any ham of your choice).

Thai- Cooked chicken breast, cucumber & carrot ribbons (done with a veg peeler), chopped spring onions (salad onions), bean sprouts and a dressing made with lime juice, rice vinegar, chopped fresh chilli, a dash of thai fish sauce, a pinch of sugar/splenda and water. Can be served with crushed roasted peanuts.

Morroccan- whole wheat cous cous cooked and mixed with a little harissa paste (you can use sundried tomato paste mixed with crushed chilli if you cannot get harissa), rocket (arugula), chick peas (Garbanzo), lemon juice, cubed cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes.

French- Hardboiled egg, tuna, salad leaves, black pitted olives, cooked chopped french beans in a light french dressing.

Middle Eastern: Cooked bulghar wheat, pomegranite seeds, parsley, lemon juice, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, cucumber.

Greek: Salad leaves, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, balck olives- dressing made with a little evoo, oregano/dill, black pepper and lemon juice.

Japanese- Edemame beans, cucumber, radish, carrot, salad leaves and teryaki chicken/beef/prawns(shrimp) in a soy and mirin dressing.
  • denorios
    denorios Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bumping! Some of these ideas sound delicious.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    ALL TIME FAVORITE SALAD: Romaine lettuce, cucumber, chopped red bell pepper, shredded carrot, crumbled firm tofu, a tiny sprinkling of Daiya cheddar cheese, dried cranberries or cherries and sunflower seeds. You can thank me later.

I'm also a big fan of taco salads (taco filling made with TVP or lentils, onions, garlic, red bell pepper and seasoning), with avocado. Strips of marinated tempeh are also delicious atop any mound of salad greens, and crumbled firm tofu makes for a great feta "cheese".
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love to cook up a pound of skinless, boneless chicken, or extra lean ground beef, fried up with some garlic, onions, salt, pepper, etc., to taste, then toss in a bottle of salsa. Then I scoop 1/4 of this on top of chopped greens, cucumber, peppers, and so on. Soooo yummy with the hot/cold combination, and I just keep the rest of the cooked mix in the fridge for three more salads (just reheat the topping in the microwave).