Options
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    128881738397895256.jpg
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I remember doing Tae Bo in middle school gym class and loved it - I just picked up a cheap Tae Bo DVD and plan on adding it in to my workouts. I know Billy Blanks is super energetic, but I never know why people make fun of a certain type of exercise routine. Heck, even if you're working out with Richard Simmons - regardless of what you're doing, you're doing better than the people sitting on the couch. I hate "serious" exercising and get bored unless it's fun. So I love doing stuff like Zumba, dance workouts, etc. I figure doing stuff I enjoy is going to lead to a lifetime of regular activity.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I remember doing Tae Bo in middle school gym class and loved it - I just picked up a cheap Tae Bo DVD and plan on adding it in to my workouts. I know Billy Blanks is super energetic, but I never know why people make fun of a certain type of exercise routine. Heck, even if you're working out with Richard Simmons - regardless of what you're doing, you're doing better than the people sitting on the couch. I hate "serious" exercising and get bored unless it's fun. So I love doing stuff like Zumba, dance workouts, etc. I figure doing stuff I enjoy is going to lead to a lifetime of regular activity.

Billy workouts are fun.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You don't need to make fun. It's a great workout - so good for getting rid of fat! It's also really good for your abs!

If you can't be nice maybe you should not comment!

I'm sure a lot of people that try to make fun of Tae Bo can't even do Tae Bo.

No I can totally do Tae Bo.. I just think it's hilarious that it's your answer to every problem on this board that involves cardio/strength training.

To OP:
    If you can't afford an HRM right now, then save up! They really are the best tool out there.

I'd also suggest maybe getting some dumbells or resistance bands, and incorporating that into some of your workouts.
  • AZackery
    Options
    You don't need to make fun. It's a great workout - so good for getting rid of fat! It's also really good for your abs!

If you can't be nice maybe you should not comment!

I'm sure a lot of people that try to make fun of Tae Bo can't even do Tae Bo.

No I can totally do Tae Bo.. I just think it's hilarious that it's your answer to every problem on this board that involves cardio/strength training.

To OP:
    If you can't afford an HRM right now, then save up! They really are the best tool out there.

I'd also suggest maybe getting some dumbells or resistance bands, and incorporating that into some of your workouts.

MFP has the ignore option.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

To OP:

Right now I'm sadly unemployed and saving money just to buy groceries but I REALLY want a HRM so once I find a job (pray that there's one in the new year...) then I hope to buy one.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I loved doing tae bo back in the day. I could literally see the manteca coming out of my pores.

Hahahaaaa!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    So I used to do Tae Bo when I was a teenager (I think that was when I first started working out and getting in shape. I wasn't very out of shape to begin with though) and I LOVED it! It was soo much fun and I worked up quite a sweat.

Well since then I've done many different workouts (Turbo Jam, Insanity, many JIllian videos, ChaLEAN Xtreme, etc, etc) and now I felt like going back to Tae Bo because I loved it so much (I have multiple Billy Blanks videos) but sadly I don't get as much of a workout anymore. :( The database says it burns a ton of calories but I highly doubt it does for me anymore. I do sweat, but not as much and I still LOVE doing it...but I think I'm going to have to keep doing other videos as well and just do Tae Bo for fun instead of exercise. :(

Yeah..so this just me being bummed out. lol That's all.
    You're must more conditioned than before so the workouts you used to do are easy now. Kinda like learning how to run a mile, but if you can run a 5K a mile is easy.
    You can make it harder by harder punches and higher kicks though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Being a Kickboxing instructor myself, I know that cardio kickboxing (which what Tae Bo is) can be a great cardio workout IF your form is good and your punches and kicks are strong. It's one thing to watch a video and as see the "perfect" form of the demonstrators and the actual difference of participants. In my classes there hasn't been a day yet where I'm telling people not to drop their hands down to waists and to turn more into their punches and kicks.
    I actually know and grew up with a person who instructs Tae Bo and is even on one of the workouts. As far as I know he still instructs in Vallejo CA.
    But I know my classes burn more since we use actual gloves and bags in the classes. Hitting a bag and hitting air is much different.

IDEA Fitness member
  • AZackery
    Options
    Tae Bo is the best kickboxing workout that I have ever done. Billy has paved the way for a lot of people. A lot of people don't teach like Billy. Billy using weights, punching bags, weight gloves, stability ball, etc. in his workouts. He's the best! I wish that I can attend one of his classes one day. I wouldn't mind attending one of Silk Manning's classes as well.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Tae Bo is the best kickboxing workout that I have ever done. Billy has paved the way for a lot of people. A lot of people don't teach like Billy. Billy using weights, punching bags, weight gloves, stability ball, etc. in his workouts. He's the best! I wish that I can attend one of his classes one day. I wouldn't mind attending one of Silk Manning's classes as well.
    Lol, he doesn't offer cross over power side kicks on a bag like I do in my class....................

IDEA Fitness member
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't like kickboxing/muay thai at all :tongue:

228215_10150235924390923_594850922_9132220_4752873_n.jpg

Thailand humidity is KILLER! Some of the hardest training I've done for sure.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    OP: Perhaps it is time to trade in the current Tae Bo tape/dvds for new ones. Even though he has consistent moves through all of his workouts - there are slight differences in some of them.

If you've been doing a basic one, switch to advanced (Advanced ones kick my *kitten* every single time I do it!). Billy has a TON of dvds out there - try finding a new one (you can get them cheap on Ebay or at a used book store/gaming store).

I love Tae Bo, but I have a laziness about at home workouts. lol. I can love it like crazy, but I need the gym to keep me motivated to go. I do throw in a Tae Bo workout here and there just to switch things up.

I'm considering buying the new PT 24/7 ones for something different. I watched an infomercial (lol) on it and it looks pretty awesome. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    OP: Perhaps it is time to trade in the current Tae Bo tape/dvds for new ones. Even though he has consistent moves through all of his workouts - there are slight differences in some of them.

If you've been doing a basic one, switch to advanced (Advanced ones kick my *kitten* every single time I do it!). Billy has a TON of dvds out there - try finding a new one (you can get them cheap on Ebay or at a used book store/gaming store).

I love Tae Bo, but I have a laziness about at home workouts. lol. I can love it like crazy, but I need the gym to keep me motivated to go. I do throw in a Tae Bo workout here and there just to switch things up.

I'm considering buying the new PT 24/7 ones for something different. I watched an infomercial (lol) on it and it looks pretty awesome. :)
    This is why I do so much better in with kickboxing in the gym than at home. I could do a DVD and because it's exactly the same EVERYTIME you see it (haven't seen one yet where you can program one) it gets well.................monotonous.
    In my classes, I keep basics in, but when it comes to the cardio portion of the class, I switch up the combinations and intensity of some movements from week to week.
    And having MANY people do it with you (unlike watching people do it on a DVD) is a different energy level.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I used to loooove kickboxing class at the Y. There were several awesome instructors who would kick our @sses each week. I looked into going to a local Crossfit affiliate for a kickboxing class but it was way too expensive. Meh.

I've done the Tae Bo DVDs way back in the day, but man, they don't compare to live classes.

There are a couple kickboxing DVDs (non Tae Bo) that are very challenging:

Forza Powerstrike (there's a series, 3 or 4 maybe)
    Cathe Friedrich's Kick, Punch, and Crunch (75 minutes of insanity)
    Cathe Freidrich's Kick Max

Also...I recommend Shaun T's Insanity and P90X Plyo. I still throw in an Insanity DVD if I don't feel like venturing out to the gym or going on a run. Out of any of fitness DVDs I've ever owned, it's been the best (and most time efficient) calorie torcher.
  • brandonmccloskey
    Options
    I have to thoroughly concur. If you do not have a heart rate monitor I'm here to tell you, as I do have one, that the calorie burn listed on MyFitnessPal is WAY off the mark for Tae Bo. If I use MyFitnessPal calorie burn for a 32 min video they say I burn 828 calories. According to my HRM/Calorie Burn it says I only burn about 360-380. If you factor that into the daily allowance of what is listed in MyFitnessPal's for your calories you would end up over eating everyday by I would say almost 400-500 calories. May not seem like much but if your trying to lose weight I would say whatever MyFitnessPal lists for the calorie burn on Tae Bo cut it in 1/2 then subtract maybe 50 more calories just to be safe.

Best wishes.
  • AZackery
    Options
    I have to thoroughly concur. If you do not have a heart rate monitor I'm here to tell you, as I do have one, that the calorie burn listed on MyFitnessPal is WAY off the mark for Tae Bo. If I use MyFitnessPal calorie burn for a 32 min video they say I burn 828 calories. According to my HRM/Calorie Burn it says I only burn about 360-380. If you factor that into the daily allowance of what is listed in MyFitnessPal's for your calories you would end up over eating everyday by I would say almost 400-500 calories. May not seem like much but if your trying to lose weight I would say whatever MyFitnessPal lists for the calorie burn on Tae Bo cut it in 1/2 then subtract maybe 50 more calories just to be safe.

Best wishes.

Everyone will not get the same reading.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Best wishes.

Everyone will not get the same reading.

Yeah...I only get 326 or something for a 32 minute workout. I get 500 and some for a 40-45 minute workout according to MFP.
  • brooklyn_87
    brooklyn_87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    NinerBuff, this makes me want to take one of your classes!! I love the kickboxing class at my gym :)