Options

Replies

• Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    OP more details on your diet pretty please!!!xx
  • reba971
    Options
    I have been doing low carb for about 7 weeks now and I have lost 20 pounds! I love it. It gets a bad rap from lots of people here on MFP but I have nothing but good side effects also. I was taking prescription heart burn meds everyday...I now have NO heartburn! YAY! I had irritable bowel syndrome...not anymore, my bowels are very happy! I was tired, depressed and very low energy, not anymore. I am never tired, not depressed at all and I have tons of energy, like the OP said no 3pm crash any more!
    I feel great, I work out more, and I eat about 20-40 carbs a day...I do not eat the low carb candy bars or anything processed, all good low fat cheese, meats and veggies and even fruit once a week or so. I typically lose about 2-3 pounds a week, unless I really work out a lot then I will lose 4+. It is a great way of life for me. Last week I had three beers, just regular Bud Light, and was worried that I would not lose weight, and I still lost 2 pounds. It is doable and it can be a way of life.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! i am trying to up my protein and i'm seeing good side effects already. way more energy the last few days, it feels great. the only thing that scares me is articles like this one:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

"So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily."

How do you all feel about this? I have heard mixed reviews, I am not sure what to think. is there any truth to this? I have seen this from other sources too about the kidneys. I am just not sure and I"m not a nutritionist so please let me know what you think.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    Very, very awesome!! Great job, and THANK YOU for the inspiration!!
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • losinglbs0208
    Options
    This is awesome! The only way I've had any success over the years is by being low carb. It seems to cure everything! But the thing is, if I just taste one cookie, then it's a year of high-carb living to follow, it seems.
    This post has inspired me to get back in gear and regain my focus. Excellent results! Good job
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I as well follow low carb dieting practices through carb cycling. and I’ve managed to drop 26 pounds in just under 3 months. Recently I decided to lower my base line from a 300 zone down to 200 to accelerate the effect a little bit.

Couple people ask “what is the total amount of carbs needed in the day to either maintain, or reduce fat?” This may vary person to person. I’ve picked up on a lot of tips and tricks from talking to many, and exploring the internet.

Currently your body is adapted to whatever your typical range is. So in affect any amount of carbs reduced from what your body is programmed to can and may result in weight loss, and the amount of loss will depend on your activeness, and the amount of carbs removed. Very important as well is the types of carbs consumed (KEEP THEM COMPLEX) zero junk! no, or low sugar!, and BEWARE OF PASTA!

By continuing to stay on your new low carb diet, your body will either continue to lose weight, or your body may reprogram itself to the new amount of carbs consumed and plateau your fat loss. this may be one good reason of why many people attack carbs in increments instead of just hacking them all away instantly. Better to slowly adjust the body in increments, or you may risk a crash, and cause you to gain it all back.

Now how many carbs? Good question. On the occasion I've spoken to a Certified Personal Trainer on how many carbs the body really needs without feeling depleted or los of energy. In other words the prime total amount that does not cause weight gain, and in their OPINION it was suggested to use the same basic concept as Protein. Protein is recommended at 1 to 1.5 grams per pound that you weigh. Carbohydrates are recommended at 1 gram per pound that you weigh.

So by following this method it would be assumed that if you weigh 130 lbs, than you would consume a total of 130 grams of carbs for that day. They should all be divided up between meals with the heaviest loads preferred at Breakfast (most important meal) and Post workout/exercise.

Once a person actually follows a type of plan like this for a period of time to adjust the body to the new amount of energy, than you can push some serious fat loss by reducing those carbs by about removing a ¼ of that amount, than another ¼ each day that follows. This will now actually begin to fall into a carb cycle. By the 3rd to 4th day out your carbs are so low, that you become irritable, and feeling a little bit weak. Once that feeling hits, it’s a good sign to return to your prime 130g amount and repeat the cycle. What’s happening here is that the 3rd to 4th day out, your body is in search of alternate sources for fuel since there aren’t enough carbs, so you’re your brain tells the body to start using fat for energy. It’s not wise to push this phase for to long, since your body will readapt into survival mode and slow down the metabolism. But it is the fat burning stage.

These are all my OPINIONS expressed, and maybe just an overview. But please if you are seriously interested than one should Google the following:

List complex carbs
    Low car dieting,
    How many carbs do I need?
    Carb cycling
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I as well follow low carb dieting practices through carb cycling. and I’ve managed to drop 26 pounds in just under 3 months. Recently I decided to lower my base line from a 300 zone down to 200 to accelerate the effect a little bit.

Couple people ask “what is the total amount of carbs needed in the day to either maintain, or reduce fat?” This may vary person to person. I’ve picked up on a lot of tips and tricks from talking to many, and exploring the internet.

Currently your body is adapted to whatever your typical range is. So in affect any amount of carbs reduced from what your body is programmed to can and may result in weight loss, and the amount of loss will depend on your activeness, and the amount of carbs removed. Very important as well is the types of carbs consumed (KEEP THEM COMPLEX) zero junk! no, or low sugar!, and BEWARE OF PASTA!

By continuing to stay on your new low carb diet, your body will either continue to lose weight, or your body may reprogram itself to the new amount of carbs consumed and plateau your fat loss. this may be one good reason of why many people attack carbs in increments instead of just hacking them all away instantly. Better to slowly adjust the body in increments, or you may risk a crash, and cause you to gain it all back.

Now how many carbs? Good question. On the occasion I've spoken to a Certified Personal Trainer on how many carbs the body really needs without feeling depleted or los of energy. In other words the prime total amount that does not cause weight gain, and in their OPINION it was suggested to use the same basic concept as Protein. Protein is recommended at 1 to 1.5 grams per pound that you weigh. Carbohydrates are recommended at 1 gram per pound that you weigh.

So by following this method it would be assumed that if you weigh 130 lbs, than you would consume a total of 130 grams of carbs for that day. They should all be divided up between meals with the heaviest loads preferred at Breakfast (most important meal) and Post workout/exercise.

Once a person actually follows a type of plan like this for a period of time to adjust the body to the new amount of energy, than you can push some serious fat loss by reducing those carbs by about removing a ¼ of that amount, than another ¼ each day that follows. This will now actually begin to fall into a carb cycle. By the 3rd to 4th day out your carbs are so low, that you become irritable, and feeling a little bit weak. Once that feeling hits, it’s a good sign to return to your prime 130g amount and repeat the cycle. What’s happening here is that the 3rd to 4th day out your body is in search of alternate sources for fuel since there aren’t enough carbs, so you’re your brain tells the body to start using fat for energy. It’s not wise to push this phase for to long, since your body will readapt into survival mode and slow down the metabolism. But it is the fat burning stage.

These are all my OPINIONS expressed, and maybe just an overview. But please if you are seriously interested than one should Google the following:

List complex carbs
    Low car dieting,
    How many carbs do I need?
    Carb cycling

Great info! Thanks!
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Will have to check how many Carbs I usually have.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I prefer a side of mashed potatoes myself.

As with all diets or lifestyle changes or whatever you want to call it: if it works for you and it's not harmful to your health then by all means stick with it. The more educated you are on the various options or strategies out there and how they work, the better off you'll be. I've done low carb and have had fantastic success with it, but when my fiance tried it she couldn't make it through the work day without worrying about fainting.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! i am trying to up my protein and i'm seeing good side effects already. way more energy the last few days, it feels great. the only thing that scares me is articles like this one:

"So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily."

How do you all feel about this? I have heard mixed reviews, I am not sure what to think. is there any truth to this? I have seen this from other sources too about the kidneys. I am just not sure and I"m not a nutritionist so please let me know what you think.

This is actually not quite true. People often get ketosis and ketoacidosis confused. Ketosis is just another way of saying Lyposis, which is your body burning fat stores for energy. Yes, you should drink water. You should drink at least 8 glasses/day. Which isn't any more than everyone else recommends :)

"Ketosis is a shortening of the term lipolysis/ketosis, and it's the process you'll be jump-starting during Induction. Lipolysis simply means that you're burning your fat stores and using them as the source of fuel they were meant to be. When you restrict the amount of carbohydrates you eat, your body turns to fat as its alternative source of energy. In effect, lipolysis/ketosis replaces the alternative of burning glucose for energy. Both are perfectly normal processes. Some people confuse ketosis, which is a perfectly normal metabolic process, with ketoacidosis--a life-threatening condition that only affects extremely insulin-deficient people with out-of-control blood sugar levels."

From this article: http://community.atkins.com/search/content_preview.jsp?courseId=1009&lessonId=1020&lessonPageId=1095&keywords=ketosis

Hope that helps :)
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

This is actually not quite true. People often get ketosis and ketoacidosis confused. Ketosis is just another way of saying Lyposis, which is your body burning fat stores for energy. Yes, you should drink water. You should drink at least 8 glasses/day. Which isn't any more than everyone else recommends :)

"Ketosis is a shortening of the term lipolysis/ketosis, and it's the process you'll be jump-starting during Induction. Lipolysis simply means that you're burning your fat stores and using them as the source of fuel they were meant to be. When you restrict the amount of carbohydrates you eat, your body turns to fat as its alternative source of energy. In effect, lipolysis/ketosis replaces the alternative of burning glucose for energy. Both are perfectly normal processes. Some people confuse ketosis, which is a perfectly normal metabolic process, with ketoacidosis--a life-threatening condition that only affects extremely insulin-deficient people with out-of-control blood sugar levels."

From this article: http://community.atkins.com/search/content_preview.jsp?courseId=1009&lessonId=1020&lessonPageId=1095&keywords=ketosis

Hope that helps :)

good to know, thanks! i thought maybe if you were eating more than 200-300 g/day maybe it might affect you but it's hard to say. bodybuilders eat that much protein and you don't really hear too much about them having kidney problems.
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I just watched the documentary Fat Head...and actually just posted a topic about it...and it advocates low carb eating and explains why, in detail, it's a good choice. For anyone considering going low carb, you really should watch it!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    3 months of eating no grains and low carb, low sugar: (eating all natural veggies, protein and lots of good fat)

23 pounds lost- 6.5 inches from waist gone-( size 12/14 to size 8)
    depression lifted (this is the most amazing side effect) sense of well being.
    energy all day
    stomach pain completely gone
    bloating and swelling gone
    PMS gone!
    feeling fit- energy to work out
    never hungry. no blood sugar crashes. no 3pm fatigue.

I get the same side effects!!!

It is sooo unhealthy for us to feel this way ya know. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And also, it is sooo unhealthy for us not to eat everything in moderation............ :laugh: :tongue:
  • TigersFanIndy34
    Options
    awesome!!! I also follow a lower carb style of eating. I'm not sure if I'd call it "low carb" as I do eat tons of veggies, some fruit, some whole grains but it's certainly lower then what most recommend and here on MFP my protein is always over and carbs always well under. I severely limit the white stuff and keep even the whole grains/fruits to a few servings a day (lots of lean proteins, veggies and healthy fats so most of my carbs come from the veggies). So far it's the first time in my life that I'm not hungry all the time!!!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I regulate my carbs to the workout, cardio barely any (fruit, but not grains at all). weight lifting days some grains.

I just feel that the carbs are mostly energy and if I don't need it on that day why am I putting it in my body. It would just cause me to bloat and I don't want that.

Thank you for posting this :)
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    3 months of eating no grains and low carb, low sugar: (eating all natural veggies, protein and lots of good fat)

23 pounds lost- 6.5 inches from waist gone-( size 12/14 to size 8)
    depression lifted (this is the most amazing side effect) sense of well being.
    energy all day
    stomach pain completely gone
    bloating and swelling gone
    PMS gone!
    feeling fit- energy to work out
    never hungry. no blood sugar crashes. no 3pm fatigue.

I personally love me some carbs :-D Could never do it..!

I'm glad you found something that worked for you! Congrats on your success!
  • yummummum
    Options
    I generally eat around an average of 40 carbs a day. About every week or every other week I will have a higher day around 80-90.

The first 1-2 weeks of cutting out sugar, wheat, and carbs was def tough and I wasn't sure I was doing something "good" for myself bc I felt so lousy!!! But I was assured by people here that it was worth it and I would feel better. WOW. I feel like a NEW PERSON. I really haven't felt so alert or a sense of wellness in so many years. I can taste my food so much better now too.

It isn't for everyone I know, but the moderation thing was not working for me at all! I was trying to lose weight for literally 8 years! I literally have basically zero hunger or real cravings for things.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    WOW!

Great results -- thanks.