Protein shakes vs healthy proteins

Options
What do you guys think is it possible to build muscle without actually drinking protein shakes?

Here is a list on what foods contain proteins:
http://theconsciouslife.com/foods-high-in-protein.htm

Also what is the best way to get lean/muscular body? Any bodybuilder out there. I recently started weight lifting.
Thanks for all the advices.

ps: feel free to add me as friend :)

Replies

• Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You do not need protein shakes or supplements to build/sculpt a muscular physique.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Interested to see what people have to say, I'm trying to avoid using protein shakes myself while looking to retain/gain muscle. I also recently began lifting weights!
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    me2 as I don't really eat meat and still I want to gain muscle without drinking so much protein shake :)
    Interested to see what people have to say, I'm trying to avoid using protein shakes myself while looking to retain/gain muscle. I also recently began lifting weights!
  • DKBelle
    Options
    Anyone :) Advices please on how to build muscle :))) Thanks
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Anyone :) Advices please on how to build muscle :))) Thanks

lift weights...its not a secret...it takes work

and there is nothing wrong with supplementing your protein requirement with protein shakes
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    People have been gaining muscle for much, much longer than protein shakes have been around.
  • DKBelle
    Options
    yes that's why I was wondering why do we need proteins which are mostly loaded with sugars. Sugar and carbohydrates raises your insulin which will make the fat store instead of burning and we will have hunger, eating more and slowing down the metabolism so you will lose weight slower or even gain weight.
    People have been gaining muscle for much, much longer than protein shakes have been around.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    yes that's why I was wondering why do we need proteins which are mostly loaded with sugars. Sugar and carbohydrates raises your insulin which will make the fat store instead of burning and we will have hunger, eating more and slowing down the metabolism so you will lose weight slower or even gain weight.

Don't quite understand where you got that info. Proteins have no sugars or carbohydrates in them at all. That's why they are so healthy. They are also required to build muscles. Carbohydrates and sugars are not an enemy, as with everything else related to nutrition, you have to take them in moderation.

My current diet plan I'm eating as follows, 200g protein, 150g Carbs, 30g fats . That's somewhere close to 2k calories daily and I'm loving my results. I eat foods high in protein like chicken/turkey and I drink 1 protein shake after weight lifting daily for muscle recovery.
  • DKBelle
    Options
    I meant protein shakes :) Most of them has sugar in and this is what I was researching plus tested on myself. Of course protein such as meat or others are healthy my problem is that I am not a big fan of eating meats :)

Don't quite understand where you got that info. Proteins have no sugars or carbohydrates in them at all. That's why they are so healthy. They are also required to build muscles. Carbohydrates and sugars are not an enemy, as with everything else related to nutrition, you have to take them in moderation.

My current diet plan I'm eating as follows, 200g protein, 150g Carbs, 30g fats . That's somewhere close to 2k calories daily and I'm loving my results. I eat foods high in protein like chicken/turkey and I drink 1 protein shake after weight lifting daily for muscle recovery.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I meant protein shakes :) Most of them has sugar in and this is what I was researching plus tested on myself. Of course protein such as meat or others are healthy my problem is that I am not a big fan of eating meats :)

maybe the premixed shakes do. but they are also expensive. I make my own shakes. NO sugar...no or low carb...depending if I add blueberries...

noone says you have to use protein shakes...but my home made shakes are tasty and efficient and they work.
  • DKBelle
    Options
    That is exactly what I was saying :) Thanks. Do you have some recipes maybe that you can share with us. I am just starting to make my own protein shakes . I have a lot to learn about these :)
    Thanks.

maybe the premixed shakes do. but they are also expensive. I make my own shakes. NO sugar...no or low carb...depending if I add blueberries...

noone says you have to use protein shakes...but my home made shakes are tasty and efficient and they work.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

I don't have any trouble finding delicious sugar/ carb-free protein powders.
  • DKBelle
    Options
    any advice :) ??? Thanks

I don't have any trouble finding delicious sugar/ carb-free protein powders.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    That is exactly what I was saying :) Thanks. Do you have some recipes maybe that you can share with us. I am just starting to make my own protein shakes . I have a lot to learn about these :)
    Thanks.

my breakfast shake today-

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop whey protein powder
    1 tbsp organic ground flax seed
    1 tbsp psylllium husk
    2 tbsp toasted wheat germ
    1 tbsp trader joes roasted peanut butter

taken with a fish oil and multi vitamin tablet
  • DKBelle
    Options
    What kind of whey protein powder you use?
    Thanks
    Thanks.

my breakfast shake today-

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop whey protein powder
    1 tbsp organic ground flax seed
    1 tbsp psylllium husk
    2 tbsp toasted wheat germ
    1 tbsp trader joes roasted peanut butter

taken with a fish oil and multi vitamin tablet
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I switch back and forth between MRM 100% all natural whey ( I order it online from www.mrm-usa.com)
    and "Synergy" sustained release protein. I probab;y wont buy the syngery again tho.

The body fortress whey protein available at wal mart isnt bad and fairly inexpepensive
  • DKBelle
    Options
    Thanks
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    me2 as I don't really eat meat and still I want to gain muscle without drinking so much protein shake :)
    i highly doubt you'll BUILD muscle without eating meat and without taking protein shakes. You MIGHT lose fat and keep the muscle you have, but you won't build (as in go in a calorie surplus) and get all your protein from 2nd tier sources.
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    You should aim for about 1.5 g protein/lb if you want to increase muscle mass. Training wise, focus on the basics. Squats, deads, bench, chins, dips, rows, military press. LOTS to learn and read about the topic actually.
  • Pimpalicous21
    Options
    It is better to get your protein through lean food sources such as chicken, fish, and dairy rather than drinking protein shakes. But its not bad to have a protein shake along with those to meet protein need. To gain lean muscle mass I would keep your food ratios at 50/30/20. Also keep in mind that gaining lean muscle takes some time, apposed to just bulking.