favorite go-to fast food meals

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I love the Chicken Fajita PIta at Jack in the Box. It's healthy-ish, though loaded with Sodium.
  • nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    no one has mentioned grocery store delis? Especially whole foods or trader joe's that have ready-to-go one person meals with no preservatives or fillers or plain old "crap"

well, YOU just did... :tongue:
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    PotBelly's Grilled Chicken Cheddar (orginal size) lettuce, tomatos's on Multigrain Wheat Thin-Cut (395 cals)
  • bike220
    Options
    Not quite what you were looking for but you should try out MyFitFoods. You don't have to do the full 30-day program. They always have a microwave in the store so you can heat up and go. This is where you'll get the most bang for your buck as far as quick, healthy foods. Plus, its usually pretty easy to find a Buy One, Get One Free coupon online. I keep a few of these in my car just in case!
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    McDonalds- Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad (About the only thing at the Golden Arches I like)
    Carls Jr.- Teriyaki Turkey Burger and/or Original Grilled Chicken Salad with the Rasp Vinaigrette Dressing
    Chick Fil A- Grilled Chicken Sand with Side Salad or one of their Grilled Chicken Salads (Light Italian Dressing)
    Subway- Subway Club
    Burger King- Whopper Jr only Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickle (No Cheese) and Salad. The Grilled Chicken Sand is Ok.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    no one has mentioned grocery store delis? Especially whole foods or trader joe's that have ready-to-go one person meals with no preservatives or fillers or plain old "crap"
    I love targets chef salad! I get it all the time! I'm eating one today for lunch! I didn't think of that as fast food though. To me, fast food involves a drive thru!

I agree "fast food" probably does involve a drive thru. How about a smoothie pace like Jamba juice or planet smoothie? The tropical smoothie I go to in a rush has a smoothie called the "health nut" and it has fruit, almonds, and protein powder. It's very filling but probably 500 calories. I figure that's OK if it's real fruit and I'm eating it as a meal.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    From my WW days....I remember being told that you are better off eating a (regular) hamburger and small fries at McDonalds than any of the "healthy" salads...from a calorie/fat count. Would have to research to get the numbers...Guess I'm saying don't just "assume" a salad from fast food is a healthy choice.
    :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe, but it's sure healthier than a greasy burger and fry which doesn't even begin to touch my hunger. Maybe 5 burgers and 3 fries,,,lol. I need to compare it to what I'd get otherwise. Consider:

McD Quarter Pounder: 490 calories - 25 g Fat -
    Big Mac: 540 calories -- 29 g Fat

Or...Mcdonald's Chicken Strips X3 - Salad - 230 Calories - 11 g Fat
    Mcdonald's - Bacon Ranch Salad W/ Grilled Chicken - about the same

And this doesn't include the fries I'd have, so for me, the salad is a no brainer.
    And yes, it's healthy so long as it's not drenched in some loathsome dressing.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Starbucks has a decent feta, egg, spinach, wrap with less than 300 calories
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I avoid fast food but if I go my 3 pics are

Wendys spicy chicken sandwich, and a side salad ( I normally save the side salad for later on in my work day)
    Chick fil a chicken sandwich
    Subway turkey sandwich 6 inch on wheat no cheeses

When I use to eat beef I would get the kids meals at Mcdonalds

Not sure what the calorie content of those are.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I suggest just checking out the nutiritional info online before going anywhere. That's what I usually try to do. It helps me feel like I'm not really depriving myself, but yet I can still keep control of my calorie intake. I was shocked at how many calories are in certain foods at places.

My go to favorite lunch would be at Chick-fil-a: 1 grilled chicken breast (just the chicken, not on a bun or anything.)- 100 calories
    Side Salad - 70 calories
    Small fruit Cup- 50 Calories

That's not bad. Plus, you have to add on whatever dressing you get for your salad. For a snack a few hours later, when I am close to getting off work and about to head to the gym I have an apple that I keep stocked in my office. Or I'll grab a yougurt with fruit. Hope this helps!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    if i want the lowest cals possible (under 300) i would have a subway turkey and ham 6", with lots of salad, light mayo and no cheese.

If i have a few more cals left (500-700), i would go for one of following:
    6" Subway Steak & Cheese or Teriyaki Chicken on honey oat with southwest sauce and salad
    KFC Boneless Box (3 chicken strips / popcorn chicken / beans / corn)

If I have lots of cals left (800+), I would have:
    Zinger Tower meal from KFC
    Big Mac meal from Mcdonalds
    Whopper meal from Burger King
    12" Subway Steak & Cheese or Teriyaki Chicken on honey oat with southwest sauce and salad

last night I had a Pizza Hut mini 6" pizza with fries and 2 slice garlic bread. i had nearly a full days cals left as had only had a latte all day but couldnt believe it came in at nearly 1200 cals :noway:
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Subway Veggie Delite on Wheat with lots of veggies, no cheese, and vinegar and lite mayo. The 12" is only about 550 calories which makes a great lunch if I'm working out in the evening.

McDonald's Filet-O-Fish, no cheese, and I only eat half the bun and I blog the fish with a napkin. Still tastes good to me, but has less calories.
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mine is Mcdonalds or subway.

For Micky Ds in order to stay healthy I usually just dont order fries (although its always very tempting) the sandwhiches themselves are not the worst thing if its a once in a while indulgence. As long as you are avoiding the obvious ones.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Chili. Somewhere a little over 300 calories for a large bowl and it's actually good. I always feel full afterwards, and if not, I add a baked potato.
  • natalietowens
    Options
    Qdoba - black bean burrito no cheese, sour cream. I add vegetables and quac.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenbibi23
    Options
    I love Subway's Turkey & Ham 6" w/ pepperjack with apple slices as my side and unsweetened iced tea. It's low cal and you can add tons of veggies on the sandwich. I also love Chipotle veggie rice bowl. You can splurge with guac or sour cream when you have the room for the calories! I also like Panera's pick two greek salad & french onion soup. Some of their soups are even lower calorie than the onion soup. I just make sure to drink LOTS of water whenever I eat take-out since it's salty.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I'm with the others who try to avoid fast food for all the hidden "extras"... That said, I run around a LOT at random times for my work sometimes, so I've been known to grab the occasional quick meal. As far as super-fast food places with drive-thrus, I think Wendy's is the best!

Taste-wise, their current salads are pretty awesome... The full-size options all weigh in at about 400ish calories (or less!) without dressing -- and they have enough different tastes that I almost always eat them without dressing. The BLT Cobb is suitable for low-carbers, and the others, like the apple pecan chicken salad, feature more fresh fruits and interesting produce selections than you find in other fast food salads. The other thing I like about them is that they offer the half-salad option, so you can either have one as a hearty snack/mini meal for like 200 calories, or combine it with a small chili.

The chili on its own is a pretty satisfying and almost complete meal on its own too; I think a small is about 300 calories?

Burger King officially has the most pathetic salads and the fewest calorie-controlled options, I think. Seriously, most depressing "garden" salad ever :(
  • lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    general toe's and Chinese fried rice... yum

Edit: ddnt realize it was talking about healthy ones oops
  • silverbullkitty
    Options
    A tostada from Taco Bueno.... 400 calories