Anyone Use the Alli weight loss plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    short answer...NO...save your money...

educate yourself....get information from websites that are NOT also selling this product.

good food and exercise is the way to go

Dunno where the OP is from but in the UK the NHS can perscribe alli for free..

oh? well then...since its free go ahead and chemically alter the way your body reacts so that you can avoid eating sensibly and exercising
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It's like it punishes you for making poor food choices by making you publicly crap yourself. I do enough things to embarrass myself without adding that into the melange of shame.

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used Alli for a couple weeks when I was having the hardest time "keeping my hand out of the cookie jar," so to speak. I was going through a hard time emotionally and eating everything in sight! Taking it made me terrified to eat anything junk-food-y, which was my intent. So it was effective in that sense. But did I lose any more weight than I would have eating the same number of calories but not taking the Alli? Nope. Like another poster said, there are so many people here who've lost weight the old-fashioned way, and a lot of it. Save your green.
  • robynluvsjesus
    robynluvsjesus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My Alli experience isn't the greatest. The first time I tried it, I was plateued on the Weight Watchers plan. I figured it would give me a nice little boost. It was going fine, some oily stools that were not pleasant to be around, but that's what its supposed to do. I do think it was helping get the weightloss going again. I thought it was worth the $ until, one day, on a sudden whim, I had a large Whopper Meal w/ cheese and a large onion ring with it. WHOOO....that evening as I was cooking dinner, I suddenly felt a "heavy wetness" on my behind. I reached around to touch my pants and......GREASE was all over! OMG it was BAD! I had no idea whatsoever, that I had not only just pooped myself, but that my undies, and pants were saturated with it! Later that night, my intestines HURT. I never went back.

Despite all the stain treater, and laundry soap, I never could wear those pants again.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It gave me horrible nausea, so I lost weight but only because I couldn't eat anything and I was miserable the whole time.
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    My Alli experience isn't the greatest. The first time I tried it, I was plateued on the Weight Watchers plan. I figured it would give me a nice little boost. It was going fine, some oily stools that were not pleasant to be around, but that's what its supposed to do. I do think it was helping get the weightloss going again. I thought it was worth the $ until, one day, on a sudden whim, I had a large Whopper Meal w/ cheese and a large onion ring with it. WHOOO....that evening as I was cooking dinner, I suddenly felt a "heavy wetness" on my behind. I reached around to touch my pants and......GREASE was all over! OMG it was BAD! I had no idea whatsoever, that I had not only just pooped myself, but that my undies, and pants were saturated with it! Later that night, my intestines HURT. I never went back.

Despite all the stain treater, and laundry soap, I never could wear those pants again.

I'm trying hard not to laugh... Sorry, I mean no disrespect. But the same thing happened to me ONLY AT WORK! It even went through to my office chair. Luckily at that time we were on a new floor that was largely vacant and I took my chair and exchanged it for another one down the hall... I always wondered what happened to that chair. Ewwwww!!!!!!

Needless to say I gave it up and have since learned the "right" way to lose weight. Good luck!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    short answer...NO...save your money...

educate yourself....get information from websites that are NOT also selling this product.

good food and exercise is the way to go

Dunno where the OP is from but in the UK the NHS can perscribe alli for free..

oh? well then...since its free go ahead and chemically alter the way your body reacts so that you can avoid eating sensibly and exercising

Did I say that? No. I was just pointing out that it may not cost anything. So people are allowed to point out that it's a waste of money, but I'm not allowed to reply that it might be free? Right. If course, what I actually said there was, "I AM 100% BEHIND THE ALLI WEIGHT LOSS PLAN AND I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD DO IT IF THEY CAN GET IT FOR FREE!!!" T_T
  • Sandrasalim
    Options
    hahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahaha so so sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry but that was so hilarious and i can relate to it as the same thing happened to me too.:laugh:
  • fluffygoodness
    fluffygoodness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    http://www.myalli.com/?google=p_&rotation=886&banner=3965&kw=1853

Thats the website if u have never heard of it. i know this is supposed to help when u are already eating healthier and regularly working out, and a friend of mine who is a doctor told me she has seen people come in with great results after using this product. I guess my question is who all has tried this? whats the pros and cons? im really interested in it but would love some real feedback from people like me who are really trying to drop the pounds.

From experience, PERSONAL experience it was well worth the money. I lost 50lbs in about 4 months (October 2007 I was 346.2 when I started taking it) and it also taught me to look at food differently. My lowest weight was 262 in February 2011 and I have been able to maintain my loss (with the exception of 14lb lazy pounds I gained back last year) without Alli. You will only have the treatment side affects if you chose to eat things that are outside of your maximum allotment of fat grams for the day. Honestly, the pill could be placebo but it keeps you honest with yourself. If someone suffers from motivational will power, that little blue pill will give it to you. I experienced the treatment side effect one time probably 3 months into taking Alli because I decided I wanted to eat a whole lot of delicious tri tip. Well needless to say I never over indulged in red meat again. Its not a colon cleanser and you aren't running around shattin on yourself unless you want to. You control your success or failure just like any other plan you try but with this one you will see immediate consequences for you actions. PROS: it works, FDA approved it, no caffeine, Doctors like it CONS: Can be come expensive, people talk crap about you taking it.
    I refuse to ever resort to surgical intervention and its amazing how a life altering decision is more readily received than a medication.
  • swabbie716
    Options
    I just ordered some off an Alli approved retailer and they had a pretty good sale on it so I figured what the heck. I was doing weight watchers, but despite the pounds coming off the waist has stayed the same. Upon discussing my concern, or what to do, he suggested I try Alli. I've read the pros and cons and want to go for it. I don't expect this to be a miracle pill and by no means will I commit to taking a pill while shoving whatever I want in face or thinking I can eliminate the gym. My main objective is that little extra push. For 40 bucks, why not try it? And I agree with the "surgery" comment. Yes we all wish that we could just snap our fingers and the weight comes off, but that's not how it works. It takes time, commitment, and determination. I'm not saying all those who resort to surgery are for a quick fix, but a do or die situation. HOWEVER, I have meet a few people who resorted because they want that "sexier" body. Their words. Prior to this their habits are anything but healthy and sadly I'm pretty sure they have not changed. Sure you're going to lose weight at first, but if you don't commit to healthy eating habits that weight is going to end up catching up with you.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Well if an Alli retailer recommends it, then...

Honestly, can't people just hire someone to follow them about and punch them when they try to make a bad food choice? It would be a lot healthier.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine takes it and seems to like it - but, she loses 4lbs, she stops taking it because of the symptoms, she gains 4lb. In the time I've been on MFP I've lost 54lb she has kept off 7lb, we started at the same time. I'm pretty sure if I'd been more disciplined from time to time I could have lost more.

Add that to the fact that she 'nearly didn't make it back to the house one night' I'm out! That's without thinking that you can't have a bit of dark chocolate for exercising hard, or that you can't absorb good fats, or that is it really a good mindset to 'punish' yourself for eating a fatty food?

Personally I think they're very expensive for horrible side effects - count the cals, do the exercise and treat yourself to a massage/shoes/gym clothes with the money you've saved!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine takes it and seems to like it - but, she loses 4lbs, she stops taking it because of the symptoms, she gains 4lb. In the time I've been on MFP I've lost 54lb she has kept off 7lb, we started at the same time. I'm pretty sure if I'd been more disciplined from time to time I could have lost more.

Add that to the fact that she 'nearly didn't make it back to the house one night' I'm out! That's without thinking that you can't have a bit of dark chocolate for exercising hard, or that you can't absorb good fats, or that is it really a good mindset to 'punish' yourself for eating a fatty food?

Personally I think they're very expensive for horrible side effects - count the cals, do the exercise and treat yourself to a massage/shoes/gym clothes with the money you've saved!

Just to confirm - and I'm not saying I agree with it - but my friend had hers prescribed by a GP in the UK. I don't approve of this because the only precursor was to have your BMI in the obese range. I feel like the patient should have exhausted other methods of weight loss and provide evidence of this first, without being political, it's not cheap and shouldn't be the potential first option.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I don't take it, but mostly because I enjoy having control over my bowels.
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I feel that the cons definitely outweigh the pros with Alli. I tried it, and as some others have mentioned I found the urges to use the restroom to be very inconvenient and unpleasant. I don't think it's worth the cost either. I didn't stick with it because of the 'bathroom issues,' and perhaps it has really helped some people, but I prefer to just change my diet and exercise habits to learn a healthier lifestyle. I think that is the way to go, at least for me.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    my friend did it but if she ate fatty foods like a hamburger she immediately had to use the bathroom or an oily discharge would leak out of her booty... NOT something i am on board for... but it helped reinforce her i guess... oily stuff = leaky bum, healthy food = happy booty...

Its too expensive for me and i feel like its the same as eating right and exercising it just gives some people the structure or push they need
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm on the prescription strength kind and I have had very few side effects. I made the mistake of eating badly while taking it once and definitely had the oily poo. I think it helped me get in the mindset of eating lower fat after that so I didnt want to experience that again. It mostly works as a deterrent and does very well for me. Once I'm at overweight BMI rather than obese I'll probably come off it and do the rest diet and exercise only now that I have a pretty good healthy eating regime down. I have lost nearly 2st on it so far.