What to do when your lunch doesn't "satisfy"

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You should never skip breakfast, it really is the most important meal of the day.
    This myth needs to go away.

EDIT: Breakfast can actually be a big problem in many cases. Many folks find that it's first when they start to eat for the day, they start to get hungry. If one fast the hunger is usually much more managable when one have gotten settled to it.

show me some medical facts that eating breakfast is bad for you...
    There have been many studies done that have disproved "meal timing." Also, if "breakfast" is all about "breaking the fast," then it doesn't matter when you eat your first meal, your first meal will be "breakfast." Even at 5PM. It doesn't matter when you eat, all that matters are the total calories you eat. How many meals you eat, and when you choose to eat them are 100% personal preference.
  • robynluvsjesus
    robynluvsjesus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to agree with this. As a kid, I never ate breakfast and never missed it. By lunch, I was ready to eat but not starving and could enjoy a bigger supper. Then, some school propaganda said I was "bad" for not eating breakfast and then our school breakfast program started.

So, I started eating the school breakfast which I guestimate to be around 400 calories. I was starving by lunch, and again by the time I got home from school. I'd eat a meal when I got home because I was ravenously hungry and then eat again for supper. That's when my weight problems started.

In college, I weaned off of breakfasts. Again, I wasn't starving all day. Lunch was satisfying, and my suppers were large and I was shrinking. I really think, for some people, breakfast triggers the "lets eat all day" hormone.

I really don't think you're doing your body a great injustice by skipping breakfast, if you don't want it. After all, let hunger be your guide right. If we all did that, we wouldn't be here.
  • robynluvsjesus
    robynluvsjesus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    And let me clarify, don't skip breakfast if you're really hungry. It won't help in the long run.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less calories than you burn, you're probably gonna be hungry at some point. Suck it up.

What a ****. How about you try being nice?..
    Frankly though, this isn't a "mean" comment - it's pretty much spot on. When you first reduce your calories, you're going to feel hungry as your body adjusts. The first week or so you probably are just going to have to "suck it up" until your body adjusts to the new normal.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    You should never skip breakfast, it really is the most important meal of the day.

EDIT: Breakfast can actually be a big problem in many cases. Many folks find that it's first when they start to eat for the day, they start to get hungry. If one fast the hunger is usually much more managable when one have gotten settled to it.

I think that when I eat breakfast in the morning, it is setting me up to eat healthy for the whole day, rather than skipping it, being ravenous at lunch and making bad decisions. I used to hate eating breakfast, but I always went overboard on lunch then (Hence-me on MFP) So I think that if you are hungry in the A.M., eat. If not, then don't.
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Drink extra water and eat a piece of fruit that I have available if needed.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

So, I started eating the school breakfast which I guestimate to be around 400 calories. I was starving by lunch, and again by the time I got home from school. I'd eat a meal when I got home because I was ravenously hungry and then eat again for supper. That's when my weight problems started.

This is me to a T! That's why I don't eat breakfast! I can control my hunger better by skipping it!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    OP: Salad.

A big bowl of salad greens (and by greens, I mean the good stuff like spinach and field greens, not that Iceberg junk) is about 30 calories by itself. Add a few baby carrots and grape tomatoes, a lowfat salad dressing, fruit and a protein of some kind, and voila! Healthy, filling, and won't leave you contemplating the vending machine at 3 PM.

Here's my lunch from today:
    25qwuhi.jpg

When I find myself getting hungry, I try to reach for high-fiber foods that aren't calorie-dense, like salads and broccoli.
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    I would TAKE SOME TIME TO READ ALL THESE POSTS, drink some water, give yourself 15 minutes and maybe then it will pass
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Who said breakfast is "bad" for you?
  • AceDuddyMegaa
    Options

Who said breakfast is "bad" for you?

i ate breakfast once... now im in a wheelchair
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    The whole skipping meals thing is really a personal thing. If I don't eat breakfast, I never get full the rest of day. It works for me. My husband NEVER eats breakfast, and says when he does he can't get full all day and ends up going way overboard.

I would DEFINITELY eat more veggies, fruit and lean protein, that will help fill you up. I like having a few snacks a day because my blood sugar bounces around a lot and I get cranky and tired...but you need to figure out what's going to work best for you...try both!
  • Gabbymc6791
    Options
    What helps me is to drink a bottle of water before, drink some water during, and then drink some water right after. A lot of the times hunger is confused with thirst.
  • Gabbymc6791
    Options
    Drink a large glass of water, wait 10 min or so to see if your still hungry . If you are i recommend eating a string cheese, a boiled egg or some type of protein.
    I 100% agree, you can even pack a 100 cal snack if you're still hungry after. But you can also drink water first, then eat half of your meal and drink some water then wait 10 minutes and if you are still hungry then finish your meal and if you aren't you can save the rest for leftovers :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    bad advice...never skip breakfast or else you'll binge at lunch

You'll only binge at lunch if you binge at lunch - if you'd prefer a larger (as in more calories) lunch over a small breakfast + small lunch then you're probably better off skipping breakfast. As long as you're counting calories and in a deficit, the time of day you eat doesn't matter
  • Tialove1
    Options
    Add a slice of whole grain bread or a piece of fruit. That will fill up the empty spot.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Totally Agree....when hungry after a meal try:
    1. HOT tea. No sugar No cream
    2. Brush you teeth and Floss
    3. Water, water, water
    4. Be mindful, remind yourself that this hunger will pass
    remind yourself that you will be a eating again in a few hours
    remind yourself how good you will feel if you are a good weight
    Be strong, take baby steps at will power.
    5. Eat some HOT vegetables with no butter.
    6. Do one Yoga pose for 5 minutes.

As far as the breakfast conversation goes...not eating breakfast does not impact the overall calories ate in a 24 hour period, which is the real deal. However, being starved at lunch may lead to gorging yourself if you have not planned lunch carefully.

Personally, my breakfast is good coffee with real heavy cream. It gives me energy and is satisfying. I take my Vit D3 with my coffee and cream because Vit D3 dissolves better with fat. I know the heavy cream is an indulgence. I try to balance this indulgence out.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less calories than you burn, you're probably gonna be hungry at some point. Suck it up.

What a ****. How about you try being nice?..
    Frankly though, this isn't a "mean" comment - it's pretty much spot on. When you first reduce your calories, you're going to feel hungry as your body adjusts. The first week or so you probably are just going to have to "suck it up" until your body adjusts to the new normal.

Oh, I completely agree...but the first guy who posted sounded rude. YOU did not. :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    i ate breakfast once... now im in a wheelchair

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: