The 17 Day Diet?!?!!?

Options
I was wanting to know if anyone has heard, read, or done the 17 Day Diet. Its a book. I was wanting to know what people knew about it or if anyone tried it?!?!!?

Replies

• MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MiniMichelle
    Options
    Diets don't work.

IDEA Fitness member

Its not a "diet" its a program of three 17 day cycles and then you repeat
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, MFP is free. You have an unlimited wealth of advice, an easy way to stay on track, and a supportive community.

The 17 Day Diet IS A DIET. It's in the name for heaven's sake. It's not a permanent way of living. The reason diets don't work is because they are temporary. When you use MFP, you change the way you perceive food for life. It's a permanent change that is easy to maintain.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, MFP is free. You have an unlimited wealth of advice, an easy way to stay on track, and a supportive community.

The 17 Day Diet IS A DIET. It's in the name for heaven's sake. It's not a permanent way of living. The reason diets don't work is because they are temporary. When you use MFP, you change the way you perceive food for life. It's a permanent change that is easy to maintain.

I couldn't have said it better. :smile:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

*like*
  • MiniMichelle
    Options
    MFP could also be considered a diet then, please see the websters definition below of the word diet:

Before I say anything else, have you educated yourself on the 17 Day Diet or are you just assuming what it is based off of the word diet??

1. food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
    2. a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
    3. such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
    4. the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
    5. food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.

Reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Diet
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Diets don't work.

IDEA Fitness member

Its not a "diet" its a program of three 17 day cycles and then you repeat
    In other words you're follow a program right? Then it's a diet. That's what diets are.....programmed ways to eat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    MFP could also be considered a diet then, please see the websters definition below of the word diet:

Before I say anything else, have you educated yourself on the 17 Day Diet or are you just assuming what it is based off of the word diet??

1. food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
    2. a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
    3. such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
    4. the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
    5. food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.

Reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Diet
    I will agree with you on definition of a "diet". But with MFP, people eat pretty much what they want. It's not a "programmed" diet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it sounds like a typical "diet." When it comes to things like this I always wonder what happens when you stop. At some point you will have to and most likely you'll start to gain weight again- if it even works at all. I wouldn't even bother wasting my time or money. Do yourself a favor and develop healthy habits that you can rely on for the rest of your life.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have tried and IT WORKS and it works FAST! I had to stop it though when my husband got home ( he was sowrking away)and my baby started solids because I am just not prepared to cook 3 different meals at dinner time.

The maintainance phase is completely doable if you can get there, which I couldn't get to because of the above mentioned hurdles.
  • MiniMichelle
    Options
    Once you get to the maintenance cycle its exactly like MFP you can eat pretty much whatever you want and it is no longer programmed and you do not gain the weight back. There are many people on and off MFP that have used this method and have been extremely successful losing weight and keeping it off
  • MiniMichelle
    Options
    I also wanted to say I am not trying to argue with anyone, I am just saying what I know about the OP’s question. :happy:
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it sounds like a typical "diet." When it comes to things like this I always wonder what happens when you stop. At some point you will have to and most likely you'll start to gain weight again- if it even works at all. I wouldn't even bother wasting my time or money. Do yourself a favor and develop healthy habits that you can rely on for the rest of your life.

I've read a few peoples posts about how they put on weight after stopping using mfp, isn't it the same thing?

The lady was asking if anyone had done it, not what everyone thought of it..
  • _xoxok
    _xoxok Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I stared on Monday, and I quit on today. The first cycle limits you to certain foods.. Since I don't really eat fish, I was eating chicken, chicken, and more chicken. When I eat too much of one particular food, I begin to hate it. So instead of limiting myself, I went through the entire book and wrote down all the healthy foods I love to eat. I came up with a list of over 81 items. Now I can put my own healthy eating plan together. My main focus has always been to learn how to eat healthy. Limiting yourself or forcing yourself to eat things you don't like may cause you to quit all together.. Something to think about :)
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    WOW yall....Thanks for yalls input I just seen it on one person blog and it was the first I heard about it!
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'll just say, yes its a "diet," but I don't think it's your typical diet. It doesn't restrict you of anything you need. I logged everything on MFP and it fit my nutrients very well. I only did it for 21 days, lost 12 lbs, then went back to regular logging and yes, I kept it off and continued losing. What it did for me was break me out of my cycle of eating well/working out for 3 weeks, not losing weight, getting frustrated and quitting, repeat. When I got quick results it showed me that I CAN do it and I couldn't give up on myself after that.

Anyway, it's up to you, but based on MY experience I would recommend it. I am going to get into so much trouble for this! :laugh:
  • capritto84
    Options
    I haven't heard of it but if you are looking for something amazing that works really well... I mean really well. (I know at least 6 people off the top of my head including myself who have done it) It is an amazing lifestyle change... Doug Kaufmann The fungus link.... Look him up he has tons of books and he is amazing... I know it worked for me before I had babies... LOL I started to do it again and LOVE IT. My grandmother lost a whole person... And has been fine... :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of it but if you are looking for something amazing that works really well... I mean really well. (I know at least 6 people off the top of my head including myself who have done it) It is an amazing lifestyle change... Doug Kaufmann The fungus link.... Look him up he has tons of books and he is amazing... I know it worked for me before I had babies... LOL I started to do it again and LOVE IT. My grandmother lost a whole person... And has been fine... :)

hmmmm, first and only post and you're promoting stuff..... moving right along... :ohwell:
  • TigersFanIndy34
    Options
    I laugh when people are quick to say :::gasp::: it's a diet? Well, yes whatever the heck you eat is your diet. To ME counting calories isn't something I can do for the rest of my life either. I'm doing it to try to lose weight but hoping in the meantime to find something I can LIVE with and having to boot up the old laptop every single time I eat is not a very practical way to live but being obese isn't the most practical thing either so what I did was put myself on a diet - I cut my calories from what I was eating (that lead to weight gain) to what MFP suggests (which should lead to weight loss). I am on a diet.