Replies

• lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You are awesome.
  • Lynntin24
    Lynntin24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible to lose weight while eating anything if you track your calories and exercise. The problem will be what happens when you reach your goals and stop counting calories? Do you really think you're going to maintain your weight loss if you regularly eat Whoppers? Food like that is addictive! The more you eat, the more you crave it. Indulging once in awhile is fine, but don't make it a habit.

Then there's the other issue with fast food. It's made from hormone/antibiotic grown meat, saturated with preservatives, and seasoned with chemicals (literally, Mcdonalds and Burger king use artificial chemicals for taste). Why put that garbage into your body?

I eat out of my norm once a week. Usually on Fridays. I eat within my calorie range and workout a little more on Fridays for extra clories I am consuming. I have been doing this for about 4 years now. I have maintained after I lost it my weight. I went from 238 pounds to 125. As long as you keep counting your calories and keep workingout its ok. Once you stop getting used to not eating fast food it does not get addictive. I say enjoy life and eat in moderation. Once you cut so much back you dont crave it as much to be honest. Oh and also adding I have PCOS and heavy people run in my family, so its possible.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    and don't forget this friday is FREE FRIES FRIDAY at BK.
    I think they have crappy fries, personally. I had this burger(the beef one) on Tuesday:

outlaw_burger_spicy_chicken.jpg
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Next time dedicate some Whoppers to me.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    and don't forget this friday is FREE FRIES FRIDAY at BK.
    I think they have crappy fries, personally. I had this burger(the beef one) on Tuesday:

outlaw_burger_spicy_chicken.jpg
    The fries were better on Saturday -- thicker than I remember them being. Not a big fry fan, though.

I miss living in Jack in the Box's footprint. Enjoyed their burgers, breakfast sandwiches and crappy egg rolls.
  • Lynntin24
    Lynntin24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LOL I just had a sald from Bk the other day and was thinking that it would eb great to have a a burger from BK Friday. lol
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The fries were better on Saturday -- thicker than I remember them being. Not a big fry fan, though.

I miss living in Jack in the Box's footprint. Enjoyed their burgers, breakfast sandwiches and crappy egg rolls.

You are correct, sir. BK just got new fries. They are thicker and supposedly have less sodium.
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    Great post, you're so right, it's about 'everything in moderation' and I look at this journey as a lifestyle change not a crash diet so if you can manage to eat fast food, in moderation, work it off and continue on a healthy track then you've got it all figured out! Excellent! :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I was in the airport, 10 minutes until boarding time, and I needed food. I really wanted a Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich, but I didn't have it. Why? Chemicals? Fat? Sodium? No. Food intolerance. I can't have gluten so I would have been violently ill for my entire flight.

If I could eat gluten, I would have had that b*tch before my flight. So, if for no other reason, have occasional fast food indulgences in my honor :-D
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    2 Whoppers may sound crazy, but I think this is a great example of a person who's found a way to make a positive change but still live and enjoy themselves.

You know who won't keep the weight off? The people who love pizza but completely cut it out of their diet. Eventually they will backslide and they'll have no frame of reference to stay on track.

If you can't live this way you won't stay this way.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I plan to always be mindful of my caloric intake. One has to, if they plan to maintain their weight. Did I say that I would eat Whoppers regularly? Let's see... Looks like I wrote: "It is possible to lose weight and achieve your goals, while indulging in "bad" food in moderation."

My goal is too eventually be able to gauge my caloric intake without MFP. A great example of someone that used MFP to learn how to watch his caloric intake, lose a ton of weight, and has been able to keep losing weight without logging everyday is this guy: 344pounds.com.

And as long as it's truly in moderation it's fine. But the second you stop actively keeping a food journal, it's very easy for "moderation" to take on a whole different meaning. Eating healthy foods is a lot more important than calorie counting for LONG TERM weight loss. Counting calories will definitely work in the short term, but if you keep eating whoppers, you're setting yourself up for failure later on.
    I've eaten fast food on and off for a good part of my life, and managed to avoid being "addicted" to it, physically or psychologically. Also, indulging in "chemical-laden" fast food in moderation will not kill me. Tell you what -- I'll check back in 30 years. Deal?

Not addicted really? Hmm, you loved the whoppers so much you posted about eating them online. If I were you I'd be very worried about how much pleasure you get out that type of food.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I admire you for your efforts in proving that occasional treats are healthy and (in my opinion) necessary to a positive lifestyle change. I would be miserable without my chocolate and ice cream. The point is to, in the words of Michael Pollan, "treat treats as treats" :) and enjoy life.

However, I also agree with another poster that there are other reasons to avoid fast food, particularly meat. The deplorable practices of big agriculture and the horrific living conditions of these animals is the #1 reason I will not eat that stuff. It's important for everyone to learn as much as possible about where our food comes from and what's in it. Then we can all make wise decisions about what to eat.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I had a whopper with my husband on Saturday, too. (and on Sunday, shh...) Not only was it delicious, but I made my husband happy! :smile: Poor guy has been SO supportive, eating greek yogurt on a baked potato (with butter) because I don't buy sour cream, and dealing with skim milk and fat free cottage cheese in recipes! We had a treat, and savored it! I can't tell you what the weigh in results are since, though. Saturday is my weigh in day, and I won't change it just to obsess about whether a particular indulgence hurt me.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    And as long as it's truly in moderation it's fine. But the second you stop actively keeping a food journal, it's very easy for "moderation" to take on a whole different meaning. Eating healthy foods is a lot more important than calorie counting for LONG TERM weight loss. Counting calories will definitely work in the short term, but if you keep eating whoppers, you're setting yourself up for failure later on.
    Being aware of one's caloric intake is essential for short term and long term weight loss and maintenance. If one exercises self-control, he can still eat fast food on occasion and keep the weight off. People do it all the time. I'm confident in my ability to do so. If you do not share that same confidence, well... meh.
    Not addicted really? Hmm, you loved the whoppers so much you posted about eating them online. If I were you I'd be very worried about how much pleasure you get out that type of food.
    Would someone creating a thread, mentioning that they happen to enjoy an occasional beer be an alcoholic? :noway:

I'm certainly not addicted to fast food. I would much rather tuck into some good Mexican or Thai food. If it's a burger, I'd prefer Five Guys to BK. Even then, I know to eat it in moderation.

I created the threads to make a point, Champ. I tire of the fear mongers and Buzz Killingtons that poo poo on any fast food, and believe that nobody can practice moderation.
  • debbiesue17
    debbiesue17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    AMEN! Personally, my "whopper" is a beer or two at the gatherings before my daughter's hockey games. Over the many, many years my daughter has played in net (she's a senior now), the parents have developed some fun routines and traditions -- usually around a table at a local establishment. I'm trying to (and succeding so far) choose my meals wisely, to eat slowly and stop when I'm full. I know BEER is a NO-NO on a diet... but I'm not thinking of this as a diet (and I love beer). I'm approaching this as a permanent change in how I relate to what I put in my mouth. I'm really going to miss these parents when Hannah heads off to college next fall... I'm certainly not going to turn into one of those obnoxious nutritionistas at this point.

And I've lost just over 10 pounds in 25 days on MFP. Beer really is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy (B. Franklin).
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can indulge, but everything is in moderation! Do not deprive yourself of wonderful tid bits the world has to offer... just be SMART about it all. Good and Bad. Excess of either equals no bueno results... over time. BTW... BK is giving away free fries tomorrow. FREE FRIES FRIDAY! EEK! :drinker:

Ok.. I might just go for that.. Fast food fries have a place in my heart.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    yes. I LOVE it :D
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    AMEN! Personally, my "whopper" is a beer or two at the gatherings before my daughter's hockey games.
    And I've lost just over 10 pounds in 25 days on MFP. Beer really is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy (B. Franklin).
    OH NO!!! You must be addicted, since you wrote about how much you love beer!!! :laugh:

:drinker:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Do you have any idea what "addiction" means or is it just a word you like to throw around? Here's a tip. Posting online that you enjoyed something does not make you an addict.

One of you two is talking about moderation. Guess which one.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I love beer.
    And cookies.
    Sometimes, I eat them together!
    Get me a 12-step program.