Does what your SO think affect your goal?

Options

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My SO carefully admitts that he likes that I'm getting fit - extremely shy about it first probably because he didnt want to hurt my feelings since I've been fat for quite a while. He is supportive in a quiet way, saying well done when I reach a goal or saying I am looking somewhat better when I'm asking.

I asked him the other day if he was worried or had any other opinions - basicly brought up topics from here such as "my SO thinks I am having an afair" or "my SO thinks I'll leave when I'm fit", and he just shook his head and said he looks forward to seeing me in skimpy outfits :P

but he never ever told me I was too fat, even when I was waaaaaaaaay too fat.

My body, my issue - that's his motto.

oddly that doesnt apply to my hair - he has made it very clear that if I shave my head he will not find me attractive at all. hehe.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My husband would be thrilled if I stopped losing now. But I tell him just wait until I reach goal...and how much more often I'll want to get naked. He smiles and forgets all about wanting me to stop losing weight.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well, my husband is happy with me losing weight and very supportive. He has mentioned before when I talk about strength training that he hopes that I don't start looking all "muscular". While I am happy that he supports me, I really don't care what he thinks about it because I am doing this for me and me only. So if I do start looking "muscular" then yay for me...lol :happy:
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I never thought it did, but comments here and there have taken root in my brain and have really pushed me. I'm obviously doing it for me, I want to be happy with myself, but there's a part that wants to be like "HA! And you said I couldn't do it!"
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I get this question a lot since I have lost 152 lbs..."What does your husband think about all your weight loss". Really??? My weight loss is about my well being and I don't care what he thinks about it. As a matter of fact he is pleased with my success and dosen't complain and is very supportaive. I even had a co worker say.."If I lost that much weight my husband would say Who's the man". My husband knows that I am only doing this for me, him and our children. Its about me being healthly enough to care for my children and be there for them and being able to do things and go places with them that before I could not do. So to everyone don't worry about what someone else thinks do this for yourself.

That is so awesome that you have lost 152 lbs!!! Congrats!!!!
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    He says that he wants me to lose weight/get healthy because he see's that it makes me happy and confident, but that he would love me and be attracted to me no matter what.. Idk if any of that is BS but it makes me feel better.
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think I may be that woman who said that about her spouse. I just wanted to comment and say that my husband is very supportive of my weight loss, but like your fiance just doesn't like the look of super muscles on women.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't. My husband has always been supportive of me, regardless of my weight. He tends to lose weight when I do, though, simply because there's no "bad" food in the house anymore :) But he's always been pretty thin and muscular - his getting "fat" means a bit of a belly, which makes his pants get tight, but that's about it. Let's just say I hope our son inherited his genes in that department as opposed to mine.

People say a lot of things, for example, "You're not going to lose anymore weight, are you?" that *almost* sound like a compliment (meaning you don't have anymore weight to lose - you look good) but aren't. Those comments are signs of their own insecurity (for whatever reason) in your success.

I'm not saying this is the OP and her SO, but there are a lot of couples whose relationships don't survive one's weight loss, which is really sad. One partner was secure in the other partner's insecurities, and once those insecurities are gone, the formerly secure partner becomes insecure. Couples who get healthy together generally do well, relationship-wise.

So my suggestion is to tactfully try to involve your SO. I mean, you can motivate him up to a point before he gets insulted and/or shuts you down (in other words, don't nag him about it), but if you can do something fun together, he might see how happy it makes you and be more supportive. He might not realize he is stifling your getting healthy!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Nope.

He compliments when I'm oogling my progress in the mirror and then when I'm down about my weight, he says he loves me regardless of how I look (which secretly irritates me deep down.) :laugh:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My husband would be thrilled if I stopped losing now. But I tell him just wait until I reach goal...and how much more often I'll want to get naked. He smiles and forgets all about wanting me to stop losing weight.

And that's probably the biggest reason my husband doesn't mind my being so obsessive about working out (because it has become an addiction for me, though I do give myself days off, like today). I definitely walk around naked more now. I mean, not intentionally walking around naked, but I strip outside the bathroom before getting in the shower these days. I used to strip in the bathroom, then get in the shower. I'm sure he appreciates that :)
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I work out together...and he pushes me on days that I do not want to work out. He is physically attracted to a woman with curves, so he hopes I keep a few...but has told me if I decide to be smaller and more toned and it gives me more confidence...that confidence is the most attractive quality in a woman!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    My SO thinks I am nuts to be dieting and counting cals at all. He hates when I buy diet food or obsess. I think he keeps me a little more sane than I would be without his reasoning.
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My hubby thinks it's great. He's supportive and says I look fantastic and he's proud that I'm being careful and making changes we can live with forever. But he doesn't want me anymore. He hasn't said it in words but I go to bed alone every night and the most action our bed has seen in a while is the dog trying to get it on with the cat... :brokenheart:
  • MissNothing130
    Options
    Luckily my current boyfriend is supportive of my choice in being rather slim. To be honest, he's said he'd be perfectly happy if I were fat, thin, muscly, whatever. He just wants me to be happy with myself. :) I can count myself very lucky to have someone like him, hah!
    My last boyfriend was very iffy about my gaining weight. He was extremely thin [naturally] so of course, when I gained any extra pounds it really showed. But my current is a wee bit chubby, in such a cute way though, that he isn't bothered. He thinks I'd look gorgeous [I really wish that were true!] either way. So yay. :)
    I just hope he doesn't change his mind when I finally get down to my goal weight & realise just how slim I want to be haha!
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My SO is happy about my goals because reaching them will make me happy.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    My husband really hasn't given an opinion on my goals. He does High 5 me when I come home from a workout bragging on my badas$ery. He asks me how my workout was when I pass him in the kitchen in the mornings. And I catch him making comments to friends about how great I look and how dedicated I am.

Lucky, I know!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my fiance today about me doing the 30ds and he said "I hope your not aiming for a body like that woman on the box as muscles look gross on a woman" I am doing the 30ds to get healthier and never really gave a thought to what she looked like. then I was reading the post about 6packs on women and someone said that their husband didn't like six packs so she won't be getting one.

So I was wondering does what your SO think affect what your aiming for?

I'm personally just trying to look better than I do now and I know I will never be that muscley as I don't have the drive and dedication/time to have a 6pack but if I wanted one I would do it for me and no one else.

It's most likely your fiance's ignorance showing to women and lifting weights. A heavy weight lifting program is not going to make you look overly muscular, and certainly not the 30DS. You should read this article, and show it to him: http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/. Would he rather have you look like the runway model, or the CrossFit model? If it's the runway model, something is seriously wrong with him.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive of my weight loss and does what he can to make things easier for me around the house... When I say "Im trying to bring the sexy back" his response is that it never left! LOL.. He always tells me that I don't need to lose any weight and that I look sexy the way I am..

But this is for me... I want to feel good when I dress up and step out... Not like a stuffed sausage!! LOL..
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    My husband is really, really, really supportive!! He has never said anything negative about what I'm doing or what I look or will look like.... He has always been the type that wants me to be happy... So, he encourages me to do it FOR me! Yeah...he's pretty awesome... just sayin
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    I don't give a *&^% what my SO thinks because it is my body.
    That is complete and utter crap.
    Do it for you.. muscles / 6 pack / or otherwise - your body will be with you longer than your SO.
    That is just basic statistics.

THIS^^^^^^^