How to make a tuna sandwich taste good without mayo?

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I used to get tuna salads at Subway Monday through Friday, thinking I was making a good choice, until I was told by the workers at Subway that their tuna is the only thing they use real mayo in. They use their light mayo for everything else. Go figure.

9 out of 10 times, Subway uses whichever bag of mayo the employee happens to grab that day (light or regular).
    Not saying that's how it should be, but that's how it is.

Also, when you ask for Light Mayo, it's a 50/50 chance it's regular mayo. Again, whatever bag the employee happens to grab. They keep a sauce bucket with all the bags of sauce used to refill the squeeze bottles. If you're in a hurry, most people will just use whatever mayo is open.

Also they rarely ever clean those sauce bottles.

My Subway wasn't run that way, but I went to several other stores during my 'service' and ...well, that's just how it goes.

-Manager for 5 years.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Miracle whip and fat free mayo are disgusting...

I add plenty of regular, yellow mustard and chopped hard boiled egg. A little bit of black pepper and low fat shredded cheese on top. I either warm it up alone in the bowl or add it to a slice of warm whole wheat toast. DELICIOUS!!! :happy:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Vegenaise is good. It tastes just like mayo but without the cholesterol
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • tannerjared
    tannerjared Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i use cholula. i like spicy stuff so it works great for me. cholula has no calories and no fat. tastes great too.
  • BJAdW
    BJAdW Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use a little bit of pickle juice to moisten up the tuna, then add sliced pickles and celery pieces. Stinkin' awesome!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I hate mayo and Miracle Whip, so I have had to experiment. Spicy brown mustard, a little bit of mashed avocado, and some black pepper, and it's divine...AND you get some good fats from the avocado!
  • itskristina
    itskristina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make it like a grilled cheese & tuna sandwich. Sometimes I add mayo and other times I don't. It's really good. :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft mayo with oil. It's a lighter version and it's better than margarine or butter even for calories. I use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches (on the outside where you normally use butter).

I LOVE tuna melt for lunch with soup, especially in the winter.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Canola Mayo or Olive oil Mayo in tuna makes it healthier. Its worked for me and i eat tuna fish by the can all the time
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek Yogurt.
    Yes, I've tried it... and it's delish!

This - with seasonings - YUM!
  • amh83
    amh83 Posts: 15
    Options
    The Starkist Tuna Creations are really good. Especially the sweet and spicy one. I make my sandwiches with this and some lettuce, salt and pepper.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    tahini sauce is much better then mayo
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek Yogurt.
    Yes, I've tried it... and it's delish!

This - with seasonings - YUM!

Echo. I've been able to replace almost any instance of Sour Cream or Mayo in my diet with Plain Greek Yogurt. With tuna, add in a little bit of lemon juice along with it and you're good.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just use a little bit of Kraft olive oil mayo. You don't need a ton to make it stick together and add moisture and it's only 45 calories per tablespoon.

Also, you should try the salmon that comes in pouches. It's way better tasting than tuna and doesn't have the mercury and BPA that canned tuna has.
  • cechavar
    Options
    I usually use 1 can of tuna...add Pepper, Mrs. Dash (Original Blend), and I throw in some Pico de Gallo (chopped raw onion, tomato, jalapeno, and cilantro). Then mix it all up the Pico de Gallo gives a lot of flavor and moisture... :)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I make mine simply:

2-2.6 oz packs of Starkist Chunk Light Tuna in water-low sodium 160 calories
    1 T of Vlasic Sweet Relish-15 calories
    1 T Kraft Light Miracle Whip-40 calories
    Total 215 calories

For additional protein/taste I'll add a hard boiled egg chopped up for 70 calories!
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love Kefir. I use it for my substitute for almost everything. It works with tuna like a charm add some of your own spices and voila. YUMMERS. I also use lettuce as my wraps instead of tortilla's . Really crunch and tasty.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    Trying to get some fish in my diet. Working my way toward salmon. Figured I'd start with a tuna sandwich. All the recipes I've found are loaded with mayo so I tried it plain with a lot of lettuce and tomato on whole wheat bread. It was white albacore in water and tasted dry and kinda blah. Any suggestions on how to fix it without making it bad for me?

I use mustard instead of mayo!
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered a sweet bread and butter pickle that is sugar free--it has Splenda. and it is GREAT!! NO calories!! and I add it to tuna or dressed eggs. I like light miracle whip, also. But, I am one of those people who like tuna plain with a little pepper. I eat it on a raw tomato or a lettuce salad. I have also eaten it with mustard. Like it either way.