All or nothing...or in moderation?

Options

Replies

• starblazing
    starblazing Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i say no to things and then i try to have one in moderation, then eat all them, plus their delicious sweet counterparts, balance it out with something salty/greasey, then have some more sweets...terrible cycle.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    of course. but everyone is different.
  • daisydog101
    daisydog101 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm getting used to having everything in moderation. Otherwise I know I will stop logging and it will all go downhill.

So eating something a bit naughty, logging it and beng accountable
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Moderation! Of course it's not easy, sometimes once you get started you'll find it hard to stop. But it's something you'll get used to eventually.
    I don't see why you should stop eating the food you love... when you can learn how to eat it in moderation.
    & Honestly, when i eat a certain food in moderation i really enjoy it.. because i know im not eating too much of it and won't feel guilty later on.
    A 'cheat day' also really helps me. :)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm the same: I find moderation a difficult thing to master. But I know I have to master it if I want any weight loss to be sustainable.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    There are some things I can and DO have in moderation but others I have to just stay away from when I'm really trying to be focused. I cannot go to a Mexican restaurant and NOT have chips and salsa and often queso. I just don't have the willpower, so I try to avoid it, or plan ahead for it.

My husband is very much the "all or nothing" kind. He will eliminate certain foods b/c he knows he can't just have a little.
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm a really strong believer in moderation. My mum has been a yo-yo dieter for years. What would bring her unstuck was completely depriving herself of the unhealthy stuff. When she'd have one unhealthy thing she'd send my dad to Henny Penny (kind of a poor man's copy of KFC) and then get ice cream and chips and chocolate and lollies and just binge eat. But there are certain things I can't have in the house because I just can't control myself. I can't have doritos in the house, and I've learnt recently that I shouldn't keep chocolate almonds either. I bought some to take to my parents for Christmas and ate the whole bag, although it did take me 4 or 5 days to eat them all.

But realistically, you do whatever works for you
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah...
    difficult thing eh!

Over christmas, i go nuts. I will eat everything in sight in that 1 week period. Turkey, ham, seafood, and tonnes of it.
    i'll also train like a mad man to compensate! haha. Great time to bust any strength platueas IMO! hahaha.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    No. If I don't have a treat every now and then I'll binge later
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way but after "resetting" myself my body prefers healthy foods now. I still love cookies, candy, sodas and junk food but it's easy for me to just have one, or half, because my body no longer craves the junk.
  • ShrinkyDinkie
    Options
    ive been staying away. all or nothing for me. i feel guilty if i even have a little, so why bother.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    I can say that the "all or nothing" people I've trained gain the weight back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness the human race is full of different types of people! It would be a boring world in deed if we all went about things the same way. I love our diversity!

I'm one of those people that personally can't do "all or nothing" as I end up feeling deprived and then I just want to quit. I have to allow myself a few unhealthy tasty things every once in a while to keep me on track. I've tried the "cold turkey" method but that just doesn't work for me as it just makes me obsess over what I'm not allowing myself to have. lol
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I am getting better at having things in moderation. I don't want to completely cut things out of my life so I am learning how to stop. It's hard but I am managing to do it. I just keep reminding myself what my calorie intake will look like if I keep going and it usually helps me stop at one or two.

This is exactly me. 99% of the time I actually look up the calories before I will eat something - even in moderation I can't tell you how many times that stopped me from eating something.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Definitely moderation. Every time I've tried "nothing", i've failed miserably, which is why I spent all my adult life obese. Since I found MFP and realized I can still have the things I love as long as I stay within my cals and don't overdo it, I've lost almost 58 lbs. The most I ever lost with the "nothing" diet was 20 lbs, only to fail and gain it back with some extra.

ETA: This week, I've had Burger King, Panera, Dominos and Jack in the Box (yeah, I know but it's been a busy week), and I still lost a lb.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm all or nothing too - trying really hard to be in moderation. Moderation is much better in the long run, especially when it comes to keep it off - when an all or nothing falls of the wagon they tend to do so pretty badly and the become a yo-yo dieter which isn't good for you! I'm trying to make better choices, I knew I was going out this evening so I ate lunch a little later, I had a glass of wine as 'my treat' and didn't even go near the numerous platters of food and spent my time talking to people because I thought it would be easier to have one drink than end up mindlessly grazing and I am glad I did. I find than planning ahead is helping me with the moderation, I log it in my diary and stick to it! Good luck learning your new skill!!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    When I first started, it was all or nothing. After around the 6th month of changing my eating habits, it became much easier for me to maintain moderation no matter what I eat. So in my experience, it takes time to reach the willpower stage. I'm sure for others it's different and they'll have to say no to "bad" food forever.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    "Cheat" days are what keeps me sane as one of those "all or nothing" folks. I say no more often than not due to not having the shut off, but enjoy the cheat days when I say "OK" instead!
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same way! I can't just have one of anything sweet or salty. It's either the whole bag or none at all. I'm way better off say no because If I say yes it turns into a binge. Every. Single. Time.
  • mrsdouglas1
    mrsdouglas1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Do you tell an alcoholic that "just one drink will be ok", or do you tell a recovering drug addict that "just one more hit wont hurt you"? Well, food is my addiction. Specifically sweets, pastas, breads...... carbs in general. I love fruits and veggies, I just love cookies more. I am very jealous of those who can have a little and go on about their day, but I cannot. I am a junk junkie and just have to stay away from them.

I am the same way, you have described me as well, I too have an addiction to food and carbs and sweets are my thin. Yes I love fruits and veggies but I like cake more! My name is lisa and I too am a "junk junkie"