Excerpt from Sugar Nation

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm a total meat lover, but you ain't gonna feed 9 billion people on a low-carb diet.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Meat is expensive to produce. The only reason our meat doesn't cost more in the US (much more!) is subsidies.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I make it a point not to tell carbophobes that protein is also insulinogenic, because I'm afraid they'll start avoiding that as well.

Our bodies produce insulin in response to protein so that the amino acids it breaks down to (especially the essential amino acids) can be pushed/absorbed into our cells for good use, like repairing muscles. However, unlike carb-rich foods, protein-rich foods also elicit increased levels of the hormone glucagon, which helps keep blood sugars from rising. So, yes, protein and carbs both elicit an insulin response, but protein (at least in the absence or restriction of carb-rich foods) does not raise blood sugar levels due to the interaction with glucagon.

Now time for my bacon and butter. =)

Not really. Glucagon is the opposite of insulin. It's not released because of protein. It's released when blood glucose levels drop too low. Insulin is released when your blood glucose is elevated, it's job is to bring it down. Glucagon does the opposite, it's job is to raise your blood glucose levels when it's low. Basically glucagon is released when you aren't eating, and your blood glucose levels are low, in order to raise them up and stabilize them by telling your liver to release more glucose into the blood stream. Nothing to do with protein, and it certainly won't keep your blood glucose from elevating, as elevating blood glucose is kind of it's thing.

Also, Insulin actually inhibits glucagon release, so protein can't elicit both an insulin and glucagon response, because you can't have both hormones circulating at the same time.
  • tigersword
    Options
    And I think Leptin is what suppresses the appetite (tells your brain you are full), not insulin.

Leptin and insulin work together. Insulin moves glucose around your body, and when insulin levels are raised, and starts storing glucose (as glycogen) then leptin is produced by the fat cells and sends the "I'm full" signal. That persists as long as the insulin levels are raised and insulin is working. When the insulin levels drop, glucagon levels rise, leptin levels fall, ghrelin levels rise, and then you eventually start to feel hungry again.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Not everyone can go low carb because of the high cost of meat production, sure. But I don't think it's a valid argument because not everyone would go low carb, as demonstrated by certain vocal naysayers on the MFP forums who hate people who don't eat like them. :D

I'll just take their share of the steak and bacon, kthx.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Have you ever heard the term "balanced diet?" You don't have to eat low or high anything to be healthy. A good balance is optimal, not eating too high or too low of any one macro.
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Leptin and insulin work together. Insulin moves glucose around your body, and when insulin levels are raised, and starts storing glucose (as glycogen) then leptin is produced by the fat cells and sends the "I'm full" signal. That persists as long as the insulin levels are raised and insulin is working. When the insulin levels drop, glucagon levels rise, leptin levels fall, ghrelin levels rise, and then you eventually start to feel hungry again.

Ahhh you're giving me horrible flashbacks to a recent physiology exam! I think you're right though.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Have you ever heard the term "balanced diet?" You don't have to eat low or high anything to be healthy. A good balance is optimal, not eating too high or too low of any one macro.

See? See? Hating on me. Right there. And my diet is plenty balanced. I get all the micronutrients I need. :D
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the carbs fault that Americans are becoming overweight and suffering from myriad health problems. Let's completely ignore the parts of the world where grains and carbs ARE the staple diet, and they have none of the health problems we have here.

It's not sugar, it's not ZOMG EVIL CARBS, it's simply the fact that Americans eat over 600 calories a day MORE than they did 40 years ago on average. People are moving a lot less (due to the increase in sedentary desk jobs,) and eating a lot more. It's that simple. There is no magic bullet.

Also, insulin spikes and blood sugar spikes right after eating are NORMAL, it's how the body works. Insulin rises when you eat, which suppresses your appetite, and then steadily falls over the next several hours. It's like your oven, you set your oven for a set temperature, and your oven heats up, spikes above that temperature, falls back down under it, spikes back up over it, etc.

That's another reason why I disagree with the eating every 2 hours or whatever it is, all that does is keep your insulin and blood glucose levels constantly raised, as you never let them fall.

Can you provide the habit that is all carb and has the same health results as the Eskimo example. Need to counter not just with words, but specifics.

Thanks
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Not really. Glucagon is the opposite of insulin. It's not released because of protein. It's released when blood glucose levels drop too low. Insulin is released when your blood glucose is elevated, it's job is to bring it down. Glucagon does the opposite, it's job is to raise your blood glucose levels when it's low. Basically glucagon is released when you aren't eating, and your blood glucose levels are low, in order to raise them up and stabilize them by telling your liver to release more glucose into the blood stream. Nothing to do with protein, and it certainly won't keep your blood glucose from elevating, as elevating blood glucose is kind of it's thing.

Also, Insulin actually inhibits glucagon release, so protein can't elicit both an insulin and glucagon response, because you can't have both hormones circulating at the same time.

I once thought the same thing, but in this specific case, glucagon and insulin are both released in response to dietary protein in the absence or restriction of carbs. The type and amount of protein seems to affect the degree of glucagon/insulin response as well. This explains why protein-rich foods can raise insulin levels without raising blood glucose levels, whereas a carb-rich diet will raise both insulin response and blood glucose levels.

For reference, see “Glucagon and Insulin Responses after Ingestion of Different Amounts of Intact and Hydrolysed Proteins” (2008) (http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN100_01/S0007114507886314a.pdf&code=561f1bbd463f1056db323feb4fadd1e3)

“Insulin and glucagon responses increased with increasing protein load…but the effect was more pronounced for glucagon. A higher dose of protein or its hydrolysate will result in a lower insulin:glucagon ratio, an important parameter for the control of postprandial substrate metabolism. In conclusion, insulin and glucagon responses were protein and hydrolysate specific.”

Page 4, Figure 2, show their test subjects' (healthy, non-obese individuals) levels of insulin, glucagon, and blood glucose over time in response to the ingestion of soy and whey protein.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the carbs fault that Americans are becoming overweight and suffering from myriad health problems. Let's completely ignore the parts of the world where grains and carbs ARE the staple diet, and they have none of the health problems we have here.

It's not sugar, it's not ZOMG EVIL CARBS, it's simply the fact that Americans eat over 600 calories a day MORE than they did 40 years ago on average. People are moving a lot less (due to the increase in sedentary desk jobs,) and eating a lot more. It's that simple. There is no magic bullet.

Also, insulin spikes and blood sugar spikes right after eating are NORMAL, it's how the body works. Insulin rises when you eat, which suppresses your appetite, and then steadily falls over the next several hours. It's like your oven, you set your oven for a set temperature, and your oven heats up, spikes above that temperature, falls back down under it, spikes back up over it, etc.

That's another reason why I disagree with the eating every 2 hours or whatever it is, all that does is keep your insulin and blood glucose levels constantly raised, as you never let them fall.

Can you provide the habit that is all carb and has the same health results as the Eskimo example. Need to counter not just with words, but specifics.

Thanks

The Okinawan diet consists of about 90% carbohydrate. They are generally regarded as the healthiest population in the world, and have the longest lifespan.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Thanks

The Okinawan diet consists of about 90% carbohydrate. They are generally regarded as the healthiest population in the world, and have the longest lifespan.
    Yup, well maybe not 90% but close enough. they love sweet potato and they like pork and have also used pork fat as their main cooking fat . Their activities, social connectiveness, and their philosophy of eating less has worked well for them and any other group that have longevity.
  • tigersword
    Options

I once thought the same thing, but in this specific case, glucagon and insulin are both released in response to dietary protein in the absence or restriction of carbs. The type and amount of protein seems to affect the degree of glucagon/insulin response as well. This explains why protein-rich foods can raise insulin levels without raising blood glucose levels, whereas a carb-rich diet will raise both insulin response and blood glucose levels.

For reference, see “Glucagon and Insulin Responses after Ingestion of Different Amounts of Intact and Hydrolysed Proteins” (2008) (http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN100_01/S0007114507886314a.pdf&code=561f1bbd463f1056db323feb4fadd1e3)

“Insulin and glucagon responses increased with increasing protein load…but the effect was more pronounced for glucagon. A higher dose of protein or its hydrolysate will result in a lower insulin:glucagon ratio, an important parameter for the control of postprandial substrate metabolism. In conclusion, insulin and glucagon responses were protein and hydrolysate specific.”

Page 4, Figure 2, show their test subjects' (healthy, non-obese individuals) levels of insulin, glucagon, and blood glucose over time in response to the ingestion of soy and whey protein.

Glucagon RAISES blood sugar. What you're talking about is the release of glucagon due to a lack of carbs being eaten over time, which causes blood glucose levels to drop, causing a release of glucagon to tell the liver to release more glucose into the bloodstream to raise blood glucose levels in order to stabilize them.

It honestly has nothing to do with glucagon preventing blood sugar from spiking. Again, without eating glucose, there is no rise in blood glucose, hence glucagon release to stabilize falling blood glucose levels.

It has nothing to do with protein specifically, and everything to do with not eating carbs. Insulin response is not the same thing as blood sugar spike.
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Thanks

Awesome thanks... of course I veified and your right. Now what does the Eskimos and the Okinawan have in common? They are eating Real food and not processed crap that the Western Diet brings. Now the reason I asked you to back it up is for the low carb people. If you look at all diets out there most agree on one thing. Eat real food and stay away from processed food. Some go low carb route, some go high carb, but all people start eating real food to get there. Real food and exercise!!!!
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Thanks

Awesome thanks... of course I veified and your right. Now what does the Eskimos and the Okinawan have in common? They are eating Real food and not processed crap that the Western Diet brings. Now the reason I asked you to back it up is for the low carb people. If you look at all diets out there most agree on one thing. Eat real food and stay away from processed food. Some go low carb route, some go high carb, but all people start eating real food to get there. Real food and exercise!!!!

Ugh.

Your post completely ignores the fact that this single cause for obesity is a caloric surplus. The type of food you eat doesn't magically make you get fat.

You can get plenty fat on unprocessed food too.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for a nice debate. This is why I post things that go against the conventional wisdom. I love to see the interesting information that comes from individuals. I love reading it. My mind is always open and who knows I might be on a different road a year from now. But I don't think I will because at 41 I have finally found my health and a very happy weight. Never though I would hit a weight that I haven't seen since before puberty.

And if only one person on this site who is battling obesity and counting calories and eating the SAD and doing tons of exercise and can't seem to get the weight off comes across this post and maybe decides to do some research and then that leads to experimenting with his/her diet and finds success and gets his/her body and health back then I have helped that person and that makes me feel good.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Thanks

Ugh.

Your post completely ignores the fact that this single cause for obesity is a caloric surplus. The type of food you eat doesn't magically make you get fat.

You can get plenty fat on unprocessed food too.

A caloric surplus is not the only cause of obesity.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Of course it is.

If you're referring to people with metabolic disorders, you're forgetting that this effects the calories out side of the equation. When they get fat, they're consuming more calories than they expend.

It's that simple.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Please name one other. Or, find an example of obesity in the presence of a calorie deficit.

good luck.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    6287394983_b80a970bac.jpg

Evil Tater says, "At least they aren't blaming me this time!"