New Plan 1200 cals 1000 cal exercise burn a day..crazy..heal

Options

Replies

• MadeInDR022
    Options
    You need to eat what your burning so your body doesn't freeze up on you. So if you want to stick to 1200 cals a day, and burn 800 cals exercising you should actually eat 2000 cals a day to make up for the loss. You may be losing weight now, but in the long run you are doing damage to yourself by not giving your body the necessary minimum to function. Hope you're able to find a happy median!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do understand I want to lose 2-5 lbs a week as I have been doing the last 18 weeks and yes Dec 3 I was 219.4lbs 34.6% BF and Dec 16 I am 208.8 lbs and 32.7% BF

So if this is the case you had 143.5 lbs of lean mass on Dec 3 at 34.6% body fat, and on Dec 16 you had 140 lbs of lean mass with your 32.7%BF. That means out of the 10.6 lbs you lost, 3.5 were lean mass, which is quite a bit to lose with only 10.6 lbs lost. So out of the 10.6 lbs, 7 lbs were fat, so for every lb of fat you lost you lost 1 lb of muscle. Some lean mass loss is expected but a ratio of 2 fat to 1 muscle is not very good (very fast muscle loss). A better ratio is between 5:1 and 10:1. Eating a smaller caloric deficit, eating enough protein, and lifting weights will help ensure that the % of fat loss will be higher, and at your goal weight you will have a lower Body fat %, but it may take longer to get to that weight. Slow and steady wins the race.

I would suggest you change you goal to lose 1.5lbs/week. Here is a guide to setting healthy weekly weight loss goals. These goals will give you a net calorie intake, meaning you should set at this and eat back the cals you burn from working out.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting healthy! I say this from a good place....I do...but when studies say that I think 85% of people gain their weight back within two years...this is why. It's very extreme and not easy/fun to do long term. It has to be an all foods in moderation, healthy calorie deficit, good exercise regime. Huge deficits/cottage cheese snack...I dunno...to me it seems unattainable for a long period of time. I could be wrong...but really think about how you want to live your life long term and maybe go at it that way. It may take longer...but it will be off for good! Good luck!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Your question was...
    ..is that healthy..

No. It is not healthy. You are creating too much of a deficit. 2-5lb per week weight loss is not healthy. And it's not sustainable.

The system as MFP lays it out is a maximum of 2lbs of weight loss, if your BMR can actually sustain that. A net of 1200 calories is the lowest you should go. That means. Total Food Calories minus Total Exercise Calories for the day should not go below 1200.

You've been given some great advice in this thread.
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do understand I want to lose 2-5 lbs a week as I have been doing the last 18 weeks and yes Dec 3 I was 219.4lbs 34.6% BF and Dec 16 I am 208.8 lbs and 32.7% BF

So if this is the case you had 143.5 lbs of lean mass on Dec 3 at 34.6% body fat, and on Dec 16 you had 140 lbs of lean mass with your 32.7%BF. That means out of the 10.6 lbs you lost, 3.5 were lean mass, which is quite a bit to lose with only 10.6 lbs lost. So out of the 10.6 lbs, 7 lbs were fat, so for every lb of fat you lost you lost 1 lb of muscle. Some lean mass loss is expected but a ratio of 2 fat to 1 muscle is not very good (very fast muscle loss). A better ratio is between 5:1 and 10:1. Eating a smaller caloric deficit, eating enough protein, and lifting weights will help ensure that the % of fat loss will be higher, and at your goal weight you will have a lower Body fat %, but it may take longer to get to that weight. Slow and steady wins the race.

I would suggest you change you goal to lose 1.5lbs/week. Here is a guide to setting healthy weekly weight loss goals. These goals will give you a net calorie intake, meaning you should set at this and eat back the cals you burn from working out.
    Bump for later.
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am loosing about 4lbs a week but you can look at my food diary---I am not starving by any means and I only stick to 1400 net about 3-4 days a week, the other days I zig-zag between 1600-2000 calories so my body does not get used to having a certian amount. There may be a day here or there I barely net 1200 and that day I probably burned 600 during my workouts but only eating 1200 total before workout and your workout burning all but 200 calories of that leaving you at 200 net is not a good choice.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Just keep eating right, listen to your body, and you will succeed. Even if you don't get 5lbs a week its okay. Some weeks will be better than some others. Wishing ya much luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Beat me to it, lol...

Eric is right now. 30% of your weight loss was muscle. To add more perspective.

@ 143 lbs of lean muscle your BMR = 1773
    @ 140 lbs of lean muscle your BMR = 1741

Now, I know's not huge, but you now burn 30 less calories a day, doing the same thing. Over time, with the progression you are taking, your body will continue to slow your metabolism. In fact, I have seen people (generally those doing HCG) which have caused a 30% reduction in metabolism due to these very low calorie diets.

The reason I say all this, is short term progress worth long term problems? This is one of the major reason people hit plateaus and it can take a long time to rebuild a metabolism. If you work with Eric's guidance, it will decrease the possibility to slow your metabolism. And in the long run, maintaining a higher metabolism will help you cut body fat.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Beat me to it, lol...

Eric is right now. 30% of your weight loss was muscle. To add more perspective.

@ 143 lbs of lean muscle your BMR = 1773
    @ 140 lbs of lean muscle your BMR = 1741

Now, I know's not huge, but you now burn 30 less calories a day, doing the same thing. Over time, with the progression you are taking, your body will continue to slow your metabolism. In fact, I have seen people (generally those doing HCG) which have caused a 30% reduction in metabolism due to these very low calorie diets.

The reason I say all this, is short term progress worth long term problems? This is one of the major reason people hit plateaus and it can take a long time to rebuild a metabolism. If you work with Eric's guidance, it will decrease the possibility to slow your metabolism. And in the long run, maintaining a higher metabolism will help you cut body fat.

Sorry to hijack - but - how do you calculate BMR where it's based off of lean mass instead of total body weight? I'd like to compare something like that to my MFP rec's....
  • alanabancroft
    Options
    bump for later
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sorry to hijack - but - how do you calculate BMR where it's based off of lean mass instead of total body weight? I'd like to compare something like that to my MFP rec's....

The best way I have found is using the Katch McArdle formula (as it incorporates BF% and Weight) or you can use the BMR calculator tool on this website

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Katch McArdle

LBM = Weight - (Weight * BF%)
    BMR = 370 + (9.79759519 * LBM)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

The best way I have found is using the Katch McArdle formula (as it incorporates BF% and Weight) or you can use the BMR calculator tool on this website

Katch McArdle

TYVM - I will check those out. :-)

ETA: Since these rely on BF% and that estimate varies a bit between different methods, is it better to err one way or the other or to work off of some sort of average or range?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Katch McArdle

TYVM - I will check those out. :-)

ETA: Since these rely on BF% and that estimate varies a bit between different methods, is it better to err one way or the other or to work off of some sort of average or range?

Even with the formulas and having the right variables, there is still flucuation due to genetics and other factors. Here is what I use for everyone I help.

Eat the same amount of calories for one month; if you lose, don't change your calories, if you consistantly gain (like 5+ lbs), then reduce by 200; and if you don't lose or gain, increase your calories by 200. And repeat until you lose.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    So the last 2 days I have been close to 1400 cals so that's not too bad and today I will be between 1300-1500 so that's a little more than 1200 I will monitor like the chic above this post said and change accordingly...hat foods do u all suggest that r heavier but less cals?;)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So the last 2 days I have been close to 1400 cals so that's not too bad and today I will be between 1300-1500 so that's a little more than 1200 I will monitor like the chic above this post said and change accordingly...hat foods do u all suggest that r heavier but less cals?;)

First I am a guy.. Second, just look for high protrein/healthy fats... chicken, eggs, lean meats, protein shakes, protein bars, peanuts, etc.... they are good sources of protein and fat...
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109 Member
    Options

First I am a guy.. Second, just look for high protrein/healthy fats... chicken, eggs, lean meats, protein shakes, protein bars, peanuts, etc.... they are good sources of protein and fat...

That is where most of my cals come from. I drink a low cal protien shakes usually 2 times a day (with low cal almond milk), I eat a lot of red meat and ground turkey, WW cheese and some whole wheat (not enriched) bread here and there---some days a salad but I am SOOOO not a carrots and veggies kind of person---I like meat and sweet potatos!!!! So I use what I like and work with it within my NET cal target for the day.
  • psuLemon
    Options

That is where most of my cals come from. I drink a low cal protien shakes usually 2 times a day (with low cal almond milk), I eat a lot of red meat and ground turkey, WW cheese and some whole wheat (not enriched) bread here and there---some days a salad but I am SOOOO not a carrots and veggies kind of person---I like meat and sweet potatos!!!! So I use what I like and work with it within my NET cal target for the day.
    If you dont mind a suggestion, dont buy ww products. They are highly processed and you are better off getting unprocessed food, aka eliminating low fat low calorie substitutes if they can fit in your caloric needs.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I like cheese so what brand do u recommend that isn't WW or processed...also today is day #4 on 1200 cal I upper my cals yesterday not on purpose n I still lost but not much .4lbs I ate over 1900 cals I felt sooo bad and worked out twice n burned almost 1000 cals so today I'm back on track the plan is to keep going up n cals as to not gain too much weight by spiking my cals weaning myself up on cals from Medifast...so 1200 for now n then n a few weeks 1400 and so on till I get to a comfortable cal intake...as yesterday proved if I spike my cals I won't lose or will gain...so once I get down to goal weight 150 I will wean myself back up on cals slowly as not to gain all the weight I lost back and gonna start timing and tightening when I hit Onderland!! 9.4 more lbs to go;)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    200 net calories is not healthy.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Your body is going to get really really hungry and weak without sufficient fuel.