Is it alright to weigh in daily?

Options
2»

Replies

• nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and whatever works for them is beat.
    I myself weigh daily...it has taught me alot about my body and how i can work with it to get to my goal...i know it will also help during my maintenance and staying at my goal range..... that i am confident in.
  • JanKoster
    JanKoster Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do. And it doesn't hurt me. I like to see what's going on. I think you should do as you feel.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Hasn't killed me yet. xD
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most people have said here. I talk about it more detail in my blog from a couple of weeks ago http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shivaslives/view/confessions-of-a-scale-aholic-171304 if your interested.

9114468.png
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I always weigh in daily, but I use a trending tracker like the one at the Hacker's Diet website. It gives a more accurate big picture with a nice trend line, so big spikes don't look big, and often don't prevent your line from trending down.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you and you can take the normal fluctuations with a grain of salt, go for it. If it's going to freak you out every time the scale goes up for a day or two, don't do it, not worth the stress -b/c there WILL be days that it goes up even when you're doing everything right, there are all sorts of things that can cause water retention which in turn makes the scale read higher even though the 'weight' you gained is not fat and will go away within a few days.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I don't record weight loss or gain daily because of the fluctuations. If I stay within the same weight (I allow a few ounces of fluctuation there) for a few days to a week, then I record it. So, my advice is to pick a day you'll record on.
  • ladedahh
    ladedahh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do. I think it is beneficial to see the daily fluctuations. If you weigh in every day you are more likely to notice progress and stay motivated, in my opinion. What if the one day a week you weigh in, you are retaining water and up a pound or two. That would be a bummer if you didn't just weigh yourself the day before and were able to reason that there was no way you could gain 2 pounds overnight. Lol. I guess I have thought about it too much.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I always do it in the morning, before breakfast, after my potty break and in the nude.

Doing it this way, consistently, shows fewer fluctuations.

I find that I'm always heavier after meals, and lighter after sleeping and excreting. These types of things affect the number by a few pounds, so if you weigh in at the same time each day with the same clothes (or lack thereof) on, you will get more consistent numbers.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have to admit i am one who weight herself every am when i 1st wake up. I also have to admit it drives me crazy but i can't stop! lol.... I just don't know what day of the week is a "good" day to weight myself since every day is something different? which day is my TRUE weight? on wed i finally got to 136 and i was so happy but i knew that it wouldn't last. on thurs i weighed myself again and sure enough i was back to 137.4! i just can't seem to get the scale to stay under 137??? i have lost only 2 lbs that actually stay off in 2 months, the other 2 come and go on a daily basis? so what is one to do/ believe? not sure how to get the scale to drop and stay there? I even started the 30ds video to help and nada yet... i'm on day 14 now. i did lose .5 a inch off my waist but that's it, no lbs either...
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I always do it in the morning, before breakfast, after my potty break and in the nude.

Doing it this way, consistently, shows fewer fluctuations.
    Absolutely, this how I do it too, and also I never drink water before weighing myself. It's only my body I want to weigh!

As you say, the fluctuations are reduced to a minimum, and apart from TOM days, which can be up to one and a half pounds different, and apart from days when I've eaten a whole lot of veg in the evening, the fluctuation's usually only a few eighths of a pound.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    my weight will fluctuate about 2lbs from day to day in difference. On the 16th i was 136, weighted myself on the 17 and 18th and up to 137.4. both those days were the same. so we will see what tomorrow shows?
  • wyldweazel
    wyldweazel Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't measure once a day... I measure twice. With my scale I repeat weighing until I get 3 repetitions in weight. I also keep a mental log of all my weights (beyond what I post on MFP.) I notice my body cycles thru weight. I am always lowest somewhere Fri-Sat but I gain 3-4 pound during the week. Then I will drop the following week, below my previous low. Understanding how my weight flutters has helped me not get depressed with odd scale measurements. I just keep grinding for the weekend.

This last week was my worst week to date, due to a bunch of stress. But I just kept grinding on... and I got a reward yesterday morning I was still down. Not much... but I still made some progress.

Do what make happy. That is what it takes.
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    BUMP

i check my weight 10000000 times a day venever i get a chance i jst jump on the scale
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm the odd one, I guess. I couldn't lose weight until my husband killed our scale with a sledgehammer because the numbers determined my mood for the day. Since killing it, I've been able to lose weight stress-free. I do weigh about once a month at the gym. I also gauge my progress by always having a pair of jeans 1 or 2 sizes smaller than I'm currently wearing in my closet and trying them on every week or two. And by getting rid of too big clothes the moment they become too loose to look right on me.
  • peggy13794
    peggy13794 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh in almost daily. It keeps me on track, if I see it go up I know I need to step it up a bit.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher, too. What I've learned is that I no longer see the wild 2 pound fluctuations from eating out! Usually a pound if that. I can see the effects of too much salt and sugar. I KNOW I am not eating an extra 3200 calories! But even upping your exercise routine or having sore muscles might cause weight gain as your muscle will hold a bit of water. Ever weigh a glass of water? It doesn't take much to see your scale go up a pound! I dont' weigh throughout the day, I've gotten over that. But it is a useful tool for me. I know that I have one "Real" weigh in day per week - Monday. I have watched my weight go down over time. It is interesting to make a graph to watch it go down as the weeks and months pass. I think it is a good tool to help remind me of what my goal is. I never want to be more than 5 pounds over my goal weight ever again and I can't even see a reason to let it get that far out of hand again.

Best of luck to you! = D