Options

Replies

• AandJsMommy
    Options
    Thanks I am loving all your responses.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a gazelle, purchased due to a strong family history of knee problems. I like it and have had great results with it. You can't really run on it, so if you're a runner, you may not like it.

I will admit I've been eyeballing stationary bikes though.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have all 3 and honestly I don't have a preference. I tend to burn more on the bike (NO idea why), but only marginally so. I wear my HRM and things are about the same. I choose machines based on my mood. I tend to move in cadence, and it is easier to maintain on the bike (LONG STORY but I am a weirdo).

I don't think you can go wrong with any, but don't count out the bike. Your butt eventually gets used to it. Be careful about seat adjustments because it can cause knee pain if you are off.

Hope you find what works for you!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't have one yet (I'm saving up since they're not cheap), but I want a Tread Climber. It's a 3-in-1 machine: elliptical, treadmill, and stairclimber. You can set it up so that it acts as each one individually or in the configuration that it combines all three. Burns more calories in less time and works more muscles groups. But if I couldn't have that, I think it would be a spin-style bike.
  • rustyrn
    rustyrn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The bike hurts my butt too. I would get off ot it when I had one and my behind would be so sore. The knee issue, I got tendonitis in my knee from walking on the treadmill. so I was thinking about an eliptical.
    [/quote]
    Try using a gel seat.. I tried spinning for a while and it killed my back side. But once I started using the gel seat it was great
  • 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and a ski machine (old school elliptical) and I burn more on the ski machine in less time. I'm wanting a bike really badly. I've heard the recumbent bikes are really good for people with back problems that can't endure the regular bike seat so you might want to look into those. I use both my treadmill and ski machine equally and alternating so that my body doesn't get used to the same routine. It seems to work for me :-)
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My parents got one, not all they are cracked up to be in my opinion. My husband tried it and because of his long stride had to actually slow himself down.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I prefer a recumbent bike.To me, it feels more natural and does not put added pressure to my spine like a standard bike seems to.

My recumbent is very quiet so I can watch tv, or even read while I am pedaling away. I think a mixture of activity is important.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a universal gym and can do so much weight training love it..as far as burning calories I walk as much as possible and just stay active
  • mrsgolfie
    mrsgolfie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and it works for me; but I much prefer elipitcal! Gives you both lower body and upper body workout. I had bought a treadmill before I tried an elipitcal at a gym! Like it much better. When my treadmill dies I will get an elipical next.
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    I spent $100 on a good pair of running shoes and I run with my dogs around the neighborhood in the mornings. It's a great workout and wears out the pooches so they don't remodel while my wife and I are at work.
  • falvelon
    falvelon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like out the front door and down the street. Something to look at change the scenery.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I had a stationary bike, but it died a couple months ago. I thought about replacing it, but I've found I'm burning more calories and getting better workouts with exercise videos.

I really like Amy Dixon's 'Breathless Body'. It's 8 cycles of Tabata drills - so tough (and burns 700 calories in a single workout). I do a variety of step workouts. I also go hiking in the mountains around my house. I lift weights at home, too (but it sounds like you're looking for cardio ideas)
  • lipsticknlattes
    lipsticknlattes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have an upright exercise bike and I LOVE it! However, I wish I had a treadmill bc you can vary the workout with incline/decline. But, my exercise bike has magnetic resistance. I don't use it that often because I do beachbody programs and they are pretty intense by themselves.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I hate the motion of the elliptical. It is not comfortable to me so I prefer the treadmill. I have a Nordic Track and love it. (no burning motor yet):happy:
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    The elliptical is best out of those three for the workout. You burn more calories on an elliptical then you do the other two in the same amount of time and your working different points of your body too.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical and couldn't have asked for a better exercise machine. It works for me for several reasons:

-It's easier on the knees (I had knee surgery several years ago)
    -It's a great workout! Burns tons of calories, even on an "easy" level
    -There's a variety of levels - fat burner, cardio, interval, etc. - so I can change my workouts.

Hope this helps.
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill and walk on an incline. I have RA and that's pretty easy on my joints. My husband has a treadclimber and highly recommends it. Burns more calories in less time with basically the same motion.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY THE ELLIPTICAL -- GENTLER ON THE KNEES AND A GREAT FULL BODY EXERCISE
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I prefer my Wii. I have zero room for equipment in my room, though, so that's about the best I can do. Jillian Michaels' game is a pretty good workout.