1200 Calories is just too much! ? Advice...

Options
13»

Replies

• lala4u
    lala4u Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Look nobody can tell you how to do your diet. Only you know what best for u. Ask urself this, is what am doing giving me results? if it is then dont stress. i eat around 500-1000 a day and just like you im not hungry a lot. dont force ur body to eat. that will make you sick. Do what work for you. Everybody here will give u their "opinons" but they cant lose ur weight. so do wat work for u. if u think u r eating to little then go up. if you dont then dont fix what aint broke.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hey CiCi....I have been messing around with MFP and P90X since March. I was doing really well from March-May, went on vacation, and I've been struggling to get back into my routine ever since.

But during the time I was really working at all this I was seeing results.

With that said here is what I found......

Everyone is different. And there are a lot of "experts" out there. Depending on your height, age, gender, lifestyle, and even genetics, you're daily calorie intake is going to change.

There really is no magic number. Some will tell you that 1200 is the absolute healthy minimum. But I know vegans who are incredibly fit and healthy and operate between 800-1000. And of course the pros need anywhere between 2000-3000+

The only person who knows what's best for you is you. Of course do your research so you can have a nice place to start. But then you're going to have to tailor it to fit you.

I tried for a long time to stick to a rigid number of calories but for me that didn't work. I had to play around with my numbers on a weekly basis. I let my body and my clothing tell me how I was doing.

It could take you months to tweak your numbers until you find what is comfortable for you. But once you find that happy place then you'll start noticing steady and significant weight loss.

One bit of advice that I got from MFP that seems to be universal is to change things up. At least every 2-3 weeks. Change your diet, change your exercise routine. Be consistent with your food intake and exercise of course but mix it up a little so your body doesn't adapt.

Another bit of advise I will give you....throw away your scale. Do it now! Keep a measuring tape in the house but if you want to weight yourself go to the gym and do it once a week...if that.

If you ever feel like you're not getting enough of something...your body will let you know....grab a multi vitamin.

You'll find your groove eventually as long as you stick with it.

This dude. Wise :)

The one bit of advice I have for upping your calories in a healthy way is adding a small hand full of raw nuts, some avocado or some coconut on the days you're low. And maybe some cheese, too. The nutrients in these foods are incredible, and they are high calorie but not overly filling (which unfortunately makes a lot of people skip out on them and miss the benefits!!).
  • Seamoan87
    Options
    So my goal in take is 1200 Calories. and sometimes I meet that goal or exceed it. But only because I feel like I should be eating 3 small meals a day and 3 snacks in between all healthy of course. But something my husband and I noticed. His goal calorie intake is 1800... Mine is 1200 and sometimes we just aren't that hungry and force ourselves to eat. idk if we should eat less because we aren't hungry or keep eating our recommended even if that means not being hungry and eating!

Ok here's my thing. I am on your side. Except for me, it tells me I should be on a 1200 Calorie diet. but for me I still feel hungry! So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. What I try to do for myself on these days is just drink more water because I don't always get enough. What I think for you, since you have young kids and are a working mother, you don't get to burn as much calories through the day. Whenever I run or burn a lot of calories, I tend to be hungrier. But I think since you don't get to work out as much and you aren't burning as much calories, you aren't as hungry. And that is OK. I think if you were burning a lot of calories, you would be more hungrier. So honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I see by your ticker you have lost weight and in my opinion, are doing just fine.
  • Yolanda_dlc
    Yolanda_dlc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue...I feel 1200 cals is a lot now...but you should try and meet that goal. If you don't, your body will get into starvation mode and then it will be more difficult to lose weight. I seen on a previous post about a protein drink or something like that. That is a good Idea if you are not really hungry. Muscle Milk and EAS shakes are usually recommended by the trainers that I have dealt...but everyone has their own onion. I like the Muscle Milk...just make sure it is really cold. I also keep nuts and raisins and fruits around the house to munch on here and there so I can try and meet my goal.

HAPPY LOSING!!! =)
  • Yolanda_dlc
    Yolanda_dlc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So my goal in take is 1200 Calories. and sometimes I meet that goal or exceed it. But only because I feel like I should be eating 3 small meals a day and 3 snacks in between all healthy of course. But something my husband and I noticed. His goal calorie intake is 1800... Mine is 1200 and sometimes we just aren't that hungry and force ourselves to eat. idk if we should eat less because we aren't hungry or keep eating our recommended even if that means not being hungry and eating!

Ok here's my thing. I am on your side. Except for me, it tells me I should be on a 1200 Calorie diet. but for me I still feel hungry! So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. What I try to do for myself on these days is just drink more water because I don't always get enough. What I think for you, since you have young kids and are a working mother, you don't get to burn as much calories through the day. Whenever I run or burn a lot of calories, I tend to be hungrier. But I think since you don't get to work out as much and you aren't burning as much calories, you aren't as hungry. And that is OK. I think if you were burning a lot of calories, you would be more hungrier. So honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I see by your ticker you have lost weight and in my opinion, are doing just fine.

TO SEAMOAN87....I don't know what your food intake is...but I recommend taking in more protein. Protein helps stabilize you and I know for me...it helps to keep my sugar up and not bottom out so quick. Make sure you drink lots of water. I try to drink a full glass of water before meals...or eat a small apple before a meal. I feel full a lot quicker...plus don't forget to try and have your lil snacks in between meals. I like pistachios. That and water with crystal lite is just enough to get me through to my next meal. Hope this helps
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1200 is not much at all. I struggle only eating that much!!!!

Best way to know you're doing it right is to go see your doctor or a nutritionist.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You only need do this if you seek to reach your fitness goals long term.
    Eating more than 1200 calories must have been no problem when you were fat, so try feeding your body what it needs in terms of fuel and nutrition now or your gains won't last.

Believe it!
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    Remember that the 6 meals a day dogma isn't needed at all, honestly. It's just hype. Eat as many meals you feel comfortable with. Nothing magic with any specific amount of meals.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it appears you don't have lunch? Is there a reason for that?
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, then don't eat. Or have a small snack, whole wheat toast with PB or somethin like that.
  • reginahimes
    Options
    According to my fitness trainer, if you are eating healthy the calories do not matter. I eat only veggies, fruit, nuts and lean meats. No dairy, bread or pasta. I have been a "calorie" counter my whole life. I continued to count calories and expressed that I was concerned because I was comming in 100 to 200 cal under 1200 per day but I was not hungry at all. In the past on unhealthy diets I was always starved and weak if I was eating less then 1200 cal/day. This time is totally different. With the totally healthy diet I do not feel hungry, I feel full. Trainer says do not force myself to eat more. Through MFP I can see that I am getting my nutrients even with a low cal diet because of the particular foods I am eating. He says the "starvation mode" is all hype. It was dissproved in a Military study (which is allowed to be much more intense then a university study). This is not a popular opinion, I know, but other experts are saying the same thing now. I have been on this diet for three weeks and have lost 10 lbs as of today so as long as it is working for me I am going to continue to do it and try to not worry about how many calories per day. As long as I am not hungry, I am getting my nurtrients and I am loosing weight and getting fit, I am going to continue.