Tattoo question

Options

Replies

• jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, folks! This is kind of what I was thinking but I tend to always scope out new situations as much as I can beforehand, so - good to know!

I emailed the guy whose tattoo gallery I really like a pic of what I've worked out. It's not set completely in stone and will be guided by him on most of it, but there are important elements that need to be there. Basically I said in the email "If I'm being way too picky and shouldn't be considering a tattoo of this, it's okay to tell me." I'm kind of a dork, I guess, but I have no clue as to how small and detailed something can be. Guess we'll find out! :laugh:
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    sorry. double post.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Yes! You tip anyone who provides a service for a living. You tip the people at the nail salon, your hair stylist, your waiters..... you should definitely tip your Tattoo artist.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Good to know, I'm planning on treating myself to a tattoo after I've lost 30lbs... (hopefully in time for my birthday!) I'd hate to have made a faux paux.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    depends...they have to work for it just like anyone else does. I tipped for my last piece, but that's because I won a contest and he did it for free, so I gave him $20 for lunch
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. Think about it, you tip your waiter/waitress and all they did was bring you your food and keep the drinks coming. Why wouldn't you want to tip the person you is putting something on your body that will be there for the rest of your life? Many people get addicted to tattoos and will go back for more. You don't want to be remembered as the customer who didn't tip.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Deff!
    They don't really make a lot of money there... most of the money you pay for the tattoo goes to the parlor they work for. They need that tip money for all the needles and ink they buy! :)
  • ljholmann
    Options
    Absolutely, I am friends with my tattoos artists, I go on vacations with them etc... and I still always tip.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. Think about it, you tip your waiter/waitress and all they did was bring you your food and keep the drinks coming. Why wouldn't you want to tip the person you is putting something on your body that will be there for the rest of your life? Many people get addicted to tattoos and will go back for more. You don't want to be remembered as the customer who didn't tip.

Yeah, I pretty much thought it was along the same lines - but as I said, I'm a complete rookie when it comes to tats. It's just something I've wanted for a really long time.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i always tip.
  • Calorie_Killa
    Options
    Yes. They're providing a service to you and they deserve a tip. How much depends on your satisfaction with the level of service provided.
  • Pommerantchen
    Pommerantchen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As the wife of a tattoo artist - you ALWAYS tip. Unless that tattoo artist has intentionally degraded you, or not done your design justice.

General rule is 25%. More if your tattoo is awesome.

If the artist does not own the studio, your artist is paying anywhere from 25-60% of every tattoo to the shop owner. The cost of your tattoo isn't just a made up number depending on how the artist feels. The majority will go to supplies used (needles, ink, paper towels, cleaning chemicals, disposable ointments, etc) with another good amount going to the overhead cost of the studio (you need electricity and licensing and inspections).

As American's, the service industry is tipped. If you tip your hairstylist/salon services, your restaurant servers, the guy that spins your food around the Mongolian-style grill, your doorman, etc, then you should tip your artist.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Yes, always♥
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I always feel like you tip a person who does something for you that you can't do yourself - example - hair dresser, tattoo artist, waitress (I suppose we can get the food ourselves but they make next to nothing!)
  • queenmegan
    Options
    always tip your artist!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    nope, no tattoos, so no tips. I've got better things to piss my money away on...
  • twistofcain
    Options
    Always tip if the quality of work is top notch! The studio that my wife and I get our work done at splits the cost of a tattoo 50/50 with the artist and shop, so they need the extra for supplies.

I have only not tipped once and it was due to a poor tattoo.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    YUP!!!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    yes i have tipped each time!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I always tip and I usually OVER tip. Especially since I like my artist a LOT and he does awesome work.
    Usually 20$-$40+. Depends on the price/size/time/detail etc.