HELP I'm afraid of the gym...

Options

Replies

• taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya...and most of the hilarious comments on this thread. I'm not so much afraid of the gym, I just HATE the gym. I don't care for the sleazy trainers (sorry PT's no offense, as I'm sure most are great, the ones at my gym can't hold their job for longer than 30 days), leaching onto me asking me what I'm trying to achieve while being there and if I need help. NO THANKS!! What am I trying to achieve? Well, LOOK AT ME??!! I need to lose some weight wise-*kitten*! LOL.

Ok, seriously, after I realized I wasn't seeing the results I deserved for going 4-5 days a week, I got pissed and discouraged. Make-up and all...didn't help! :sad:

For the last year, I've been working out at home with various Beachbody at home workout programs. Particularly P90X. It was a God send. I finally got results and much quicker than hanging around that meat factory. 25lbs, 14 inches and 10% BF in 90 days. GONE, forever. Now sketching leaches, nothing. Professional training from a celebrity, in the privacy of my own home. I'd be happy to share my experience if you'd like to hear it!

Of course, P90X isn't for everyone, but moral of the story, I was able to escape the gym, save money and get better results! BUH-YA!!

Good luck everyone!

Taryn
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Holy crud Taryn, you have some awesome abs!
    My gf just gave my copies of the ab and back/leg work outs from P90X..I'm a little scared!

I just wanted to say that I have never been into the gym
    I came here in Jan 08 and lost 30 pounds by changing my eating habits....some may not agree but at that time I didn't work out
    I wanted to maintain and bump up my cals as well as tone up so I started walking on the treadmill, doing yoga and other exc. DVD's
    Moral of the story is that as long as you get moving....walking, jogging, doing tapes....you don't NEED to go the gym if it isn't your style or u don't feel comfy
    As far as the muscle heads, I agree with the others....try to ignore them.....
    Good luck
    Kim
  • mc92367
    mc92367 Posts: 14
    Options
    what gym do you go to. I love golds gym. Don't give up. ask alot of questions
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Me too - even if I am leaving from home I still put makeup on why not look good when you're all sweaty.....

Gee, when I'm all sweaty my makeup starts sliding off my face. :wink:

Maybe you have crappy makeup! :wink:

I'm kidding. My make up stays put no problemo and I DEF sweat....like dripping down my face sweat. I wear MAC makeup for everything with the exception of my Mascara which is by benefit. I :heart: make up!!
  • coliechacer
    coliechacer Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi well i love the elliptical arc trainer its my fav... I stay on it for 40 mins and go from level 4 to 9 and from resistance level 25-45 and it kicks my butt and i burn about 520 calories and then i use the stairs from 7 mins on level 3 and 4 and then i do the bike for 5 mins lol then i go to abs even tho i dont have any i still do them and i dont do much stregth training b.c i and trying to get my weight down fist... My gym also offers class witch are amazing i take step and step punp thats with light weight and cycling once a week cause it hurts my butt lol but i have been seeing a difference and with te classes the time flys by and there are people there to push you good luck
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I felt your pain, feeling like a fattie in a college gym. I hated my college gym. It was miserable. I hated working out there.

My advice is to go early in the mornings. Those people are there to actually work out. If you go in the evenings, you will see the girls in the full face of makeup and jewelry and the guys more interested in groaning the loudest to attract the makeup girls. :grumble:

Ask the worker at the desk to show you the machine or machines you are interested in. Have them show you how it works and ask them to watch you on it to see if you are doing it correctly. That is what they are there for... not just to swipe your card as you come in.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Damnit Lauryn....I wear full make up to the gym!!!! What do you want me to do?? Wash it all off right after work??? :grumble:

:flowerforyou:

LOL:laugh:LOL:laugh: LOL:laugh: LOL:laugh: LOL:laugh: LOL:laugh: LOL:laugh: LOL:laugh: LOL:laugh: LOL

For the record, I wear makeup at the gym.
    I go on my lunch break from work. But I don't touch up afterwords, and after a good workout, my makeup is practically non-existent.
    My job ends in two weeks and I'm starting a new gym. We'll see if I feel the need to wear makeup to the gym! LOLOLOLOL
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    uh....hello....if there's hot trainers there you gotta be ready!! :bigsmile:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Me too - even if I am leaving from home I still put makeup on why not look good when you're all sweaty.....

I'm kidding. My make up stays put no problemo and I DEF sweat....like dripping down my face sweat. I wear MAC makeup for everything with the exception of my Mascara which is by benefit. I :heart: make up!!

Honestly, I don't have crappy makeup, but no matter what mascara I use, I sweat so much it just is useless. So I forego the makeup. Tinted moisturizer is it.

I may check out the benefit mascara though. Thanks for the tip.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

Honestly, I don't have crappy makeup, but no matter what mascara I use, I sweat so much it just is useless. So I forego the makeup. Tinted moisturizer is it.

I may check out the benefit mascara though. Thanks for the tip.

I'm a mascara junky and have tried EVERYTHING out there!! The benfit bad gal lash is by far my favorite. it's thick and lengthening all in one.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Holy responses, thanks so much guys!

Just to clarify why I'm going to the gym at all... I have steadily been losing weight for about a year now without trying too hard. I put a lot of it on when I went through my depression, and when I got over that I lost most of it. I have been watching my calories and trying to eat healthier seriously for about a month now, and have seen excellent results (11 pounds!). I was also doing a lot of walking. However, after reading a lot on here, I decided it was time to incorporate some more serious cardio and resistance training. I have been running, but that never goes well... I'm not supposed to put too much impact on my knee. I go to McMaster University, and their (new) gym is only 60 dollars for 4 months. So I figured what the heck... about time I got over the gym phobia!

I knew they offered a bunch of free classes for members, including yoga and cycling... but after reading all of your responses tonight, I checked online, and sure enough there's a class for beginners that shows off the weight equipment! I'm going to go tomorrow afternoon and see if that helps any.

*gets out the MAC makeup, just in case....!*
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
    Stay focused...sounds like u are doing a great job

FYI..I am also a make-up junkie...I go for the no make-up, make-up look...LOL
    I don't go out of the house w out something on my face..and if I went ot the gym I wouldn't go bare....as if????
    :laugh:
    When I work out at home I never wash my face before hand and get pretty sweaty and never had my mascara run
    I'm a maybelline great lash mascara gal

Kim
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    When I have finished my work out at the gym, I am dripping with sweat, my shirt is soggy and I have a very red face. Make up would look foolish on that.

Besides I enter and leave the gym with the hottest guy there. He loves me and says I don't need make up. WHo else would I need to impress??
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    When I have finished my work out at the gym, I am dripping with sweat, my shirt is soggy and I have a very red face. Make up would look foolish on that.

Besides I enter and leave the gym with the hottest guy there. He loves me and says I don't need make up. WHo else would I need to impress??

Amen, sister! I wear the moisturizer, because my skin feels so dry, but honestly, the only "girls" I see wearing make up to the gym are college age. I'm not, so I doubt I'm going to impress any of the trainers anyway. Unless it's with my work ethic. :laugh:

I don't think it matters much, either way, as long as one is working out hard enough to get results!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    A lot of the machines have instructions on them about how to use them. You could also look on something like youtube to get some visuals on how to work out on the machines.

They're REALLY easy to use.

Don't worry about the guys in the gym. They're WAY too busy worrying about how they look. They won't even notice you! :laugh:

Actually those guys in the gym can be a great asset too! Usually universities won't have any physical trainers in the gyms, and the workers are all students. So once you have been there a few times you should notice that there are certain regulars - people who are always there working out. I've found that 99.9% of the time those people are the friendliest in the whole dang world, and they're more than glad to answer questions. Your milage my vary, but the best physical trainer I had in my weight training program at college was another college student who was a body builder as a hobby. I learned more from him in one week than I did in 8 semesters of weight training classes.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fellow gym rats! It's always funny running into them when not at the gym. It's like in Fight Club!

Ok, some people at the gym piss me off, but those are the types who plant their *kitten* on the machines in between sets, balancing their checkbooks and catching up on Harry Potter. The guys I'm friendly with might rest between sets, but they get up in case someone else wants to use the machine. Then again, most of them stick to free weights and dumb/barbells anyway.

The other type that irritates me is the kind who breathes like a dying T-Rex on a machine or with weights...then you look over and see that the weight's quite moderate. I know eveyone's at different places, but if I can resist sounding like I just entered labor when leg pressing 150, I think Little Todd can restrain himself at 20 pound bicep curls.

My gym has some great trainers but they don't wander around the workout areas. Clients are dealt with at the front desk. So often, it's the guys working out who will answer my questions or correct my form. Yeah, there is a chance I could get horrifically wrong information, but I always double-check it.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The other type that irritates me is the kind who breathes like a dying T-Rex on a machine or with weights...then you look over and see that the weight's quite moderate. I know eveyone's at different places, but if I can resist sounding like I just entered labor when leg pressing 150, I think Little Todd can restrain himself at 20 pound bicep curls.

Lol, what about those of us who sound like we're hyperventillating when we're leg pressing 700 lbs? Is that a little more acceptable? :laugh:
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    I use to be intimidated not only by the machines and equipment, but the gym goers themselves at my college gym. It really helped that I went with a friend who showed me how to create a circuit or pattern of workout like upperbody machines, then lower body, then cardio etc.

Also my gym had a couple nights where they would show people around and get them use to the equipment, you should see if yours does. I wouldn't just stick with the cardio machine though, cardio is good but you get sick of it. I also found lots of helpful information by picking up a couple beginner workout/gym basic books, and it helped me utiilize the machines and target the muscles I wanted. Good luck, don't give up it just gets easier! :bigsmile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the guys in the gym. They're WAY too busy worrying about how they look. They won't even notice you! :laugh:

Isn't that the truth lol
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    alot of of womens fitness magazines have great workouts and you can tear them out and bring them with you to the gym.

And don't worry about the guys I workout with big meat heads in the what I like to call Sweaty Balls room lol- I am the only chic thats hitting the weights-

If the loud grunting annoys or intimidates you put some headphones in
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: