AM I the only one who is uneasy about posting my weight?!

Options

Replies

• trainorgirl
    Options
    nope.. if ya dont like your weight then change it!!! work hard, achieve hard, push yourself hard until you want to rave about your weight.. if you lie about it your only cheating yourself!!! you got to the weight you are... no one to blame. so if you are embarrassed then take that feeling and turn it postitive and work towards your goal... if you cant be honest with yourself you will fail!!! and the only one that will fail is you.. harsh but true!!!!
  • dpedi
    dpedi Posts: 37
    Options
    Also everyone on his is so supportive and understanding no matter what your weight is or what their weight is! :)
  • PuddleRat
    Options
    When I started I weighed 231. That is a number I never thought I would be at. I'm only 7 lbs down, but it feels amazing. I love 224 now because it is smaller than 231. Posting it is owning it and being honest about it and yourself. It gives you a sense of power. It sucks and feels good at the same time. Either way good luck!!!

This a million times.

I also feel so much prouder of myself seeing my actual weight number drop than seeing the weight loss total. 49 sounds like a lot, but going from 250 to 201 feels like so much more.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I won't tell my fiance my weight, but I share it openly here!
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I hated posting my weight or even acknowledging it until I had lost a significant amount of weight. At that point, I was super proud of what I had accomplished, so I didn't feel so apprehensive about it. You'll be proud about how far you've come someday :)
  • Tjm288
    Tjm288 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh my Goodness! I love all ya guys! This made me feel like 100 better about posting it and not feeling so scared!!!! Thank you for the support!!!!

I REALLY feel better!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GenYMissing
    GenYMissing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend knows my weight because I have at least one panic attack about it a week.

I'm not sure I really want to post here because my BMI is fairly low (but healthy) and I have some very specific goals in terms of body fat %, lean mass etc.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Nope, I refuse as well. I have all sorts of recovered eating issues though, and it actually makes it worse for me to name the number. I panic and...when I panic I turn to food. I only ever look at the number on the scale when I weigh in and log. Besides, scale number does not matter for the most part anyway.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Own what you are. Hiding it doesn't fool anyone.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It's just a number.

And to be brutally honest, unless someone never leaves their house, it's going to be pretty obvious to everyone who sees them what size they are anyway.

Change it if you don't like it, hiding from the reality of it isn't going to help you do that.

You've made a great start by joining here, most people aren't as blunt as me. :bigsmile:
  • Begsnapper
    Begsnapper Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    weight is an arbitrary measure... its just a number. start exercising and eating right and you will look and feel better, your clothes will fit better and life will become better! i know from experience :)

dont be afraid of the number, you need it to see where youve come from and to measure your success!

the beautiful thing about eating nutritiously and exercising is that if you stick with it the results are the same for everyone!

by the way im down 45lbs, so it definitely works ;)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have posted it before, but I do feel uneasy about it now that I'm at a weight that a lot of people wouldn't consider overweight anymore. I was pretty much right on the border of healthy/overweight when I joined. I think people might want to kick me in the face or wonder why I'm on here. :laugh: I really was overweight before, a hair away from morbidly obese, it's just that I already lost 100 lbs before I joined MFP!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Weight is a relative number. I weigh 290 lbs. Some of you may be horrified by that number. However, I'm approaching the best shape of my adult life.

Use MFP however you choose. But I've found that being public about my struggles and successes helps me stay on track. I think it lets other people know that they're not alone, while at the same time letting me know that I am not alone in this process/lifestyle/struggle etc. In order to do that I feel that I need to open up.
  • tpenha
    tpenha Posts: 19
    Options
    You are sooo right!! once you acknowledge that number you will be able to do something about it!! Congrats on your weightloss thus far and in the future!! :smile:

I am 207lbs. started out at 232, i am struggling again but its going to be a new and better year for me!!
  • 166! i dont mind telling people what i weigh, even before i was like that but since losing weight and all putting muscle on im proud to tell them how much i weigh
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I wont post the number on Facebook, but here on Mfp yes.
  • dixonkk
    Options
    I started running at 283 pounds, and ran my first 5k at 273 pounds. Those are meaningful numbers, cause they show my life improving.

I ran my fifth 5k two weekends ago at 247 pounds, and I've struggled with that 247 ever since, but you know what? It's still just a stupid number.

That is incredibly impressive. I weigh quite a bit less than you, but walking up a single flight of stairs winds me. A lot of my friends are surprised I'm on a health regimen, but just because someone's thin, it doesn't mean they're in shape or healthy. And just because someone is heavier, it doesn't mean they're not in shape or healthy. You've proven that.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm uneasy just cuz its a bit too low and people like to get judgey about it. But its 100lbs. Trying for 105 and eating 2300 calories a day, or at least 1950.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted my weight yet either. It's hard for me to do because I'm higher than the majority of people here. I know though that when my weight loss number gets a little bigger and I can say I started here and am here then I will!!!

Good luck on your journey. Do what works best for you!!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you to post your weight and have other people see it, then do so, If it doesn't motivate you or it stands in the way of your making progress, don't do so. Some people need the accountability of knowing their weight is out there for all to see, some don't need it or even find it's a stumbling block. Others may want to open their food diaries so others can give them feedback (I'd be careful of this because there's a lot of bad information and plain old B.S. floating around these forums as advice, some of it dangerous).

I'm a bit leery of focusing on a number because I've come to believe diets don't work, and my attaining and maintaining good health doesn't require a certain number on the scale. Only reason I include it is, I find seeing the number of pounds I've lost moderately reinforcing when I visit myfitnesspal. You'll have to look at your own relationship with food and your weight to know what will work best for you.