Running Outside vs Running on a Treadmill

Options

Replies

• clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    I'm sensing there is the boredom factor with the treadmill. You can mostly eliminate that by doing intervals. For a while, increase your speed .1 every 2 minutes until you max out, then bring it down for 2 minutes recovery. Then do the same with increasing incline .5 every 2 minutes until you no longer feel comfortable, then reduce incline every 2 minutes. This will actually improve your outside running. You don't have to use the clock to do this; if you prefer increase speed or incline every .2 of a mile or so. I like to keep my incline at least 1.5 or 2 the entire time, that is my "flat" running. Just a thought.
  • meowmows
    Options
    I like to run outside because I don't get bored lol. The treadmill is so... boring. Nothing changes on the treadmill, when I run on trails I get to see animals and enjoy nature. i love the woods so that might be why :D
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered how much more I enjoy running when I am outside, as opposed to my treadmill...maybe this is why it's "easier". For me, the treadmill has become so BORING...but when you are outdoors, the time just flies by. You also don't have to think too much about what you are doing....just run.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm sensing there is the boredom factor with the treadmill. You can mostly eliminate that by doing intervals. For a while, increase your speed .1 every 2 minutes until you max out, then bring it down for 2 minutes recovery. Then do the same with increasing incline .5 every 2 minutes until you no longer feel comfortable, then reduce incline every 2 minutes. This will actually improve your outside running. You don't have to use the clock to do this; if you prefer increase speed or incline every .2 of a mile or so. I like to keep my incline at least 1.5 or 2 the entire time, that is my "flat" running. Just a thought.

This is a good idea, I'm going to try it.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I run on the track instead of the treadmill. It feels strange on the treadmill and wears me out much faster.

JM
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options

I've been exclusively doing my speed work on the Treadmills (HIIT and tempo runs)
  • surgesilk
    Options
    Running on the treadmill is easier than running outdoors, for a variety of reasons. One reason is that the treadmill belt assists leg turnover, making it easier to run faster. So most runners find that their pace on the treadmill doesn’t correlate to their road pace. Also, some of the soft tissue conditioning or “hardening” that occurs with road running does not occur with treadmill running because the plate or base on the treadmill "gives" more than road surfaces. And, obviously there are no weather conditions to deal with when running indoors. -Running World
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I run on the track instead of the treadmill. It feels strange on the treadmill and wears me out much faster.

JM

I really wish that there was a track in a convenient location for me. I'll have to find a high school one to use.
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I have to push myself so hard on the TM. I know it is because it is so boring and the time seems to drag on forever!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    definitely the visual cues for me! I prefer outside, but I'm pretty shy, in my tiny town there's always at least 4 people that pass in cars that I know, so it's kind of weird...So for now i'm finding alternatives, like my trainer bike setup, workout videos and karate...
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on the situation for me. If I'm just running for training, I can run A LOT faster on a treadmill because it's a completely controlled environment. However, my race times are always significantly faster than my treadmill times even if I'm trying to run at race speed on the treadmill.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've found it very hard to run outside, versus running on the treadmill.... I can run on the treadmill but I have a very hard time outside.. I lose my breath much easier. I did find that the running shoes made a huge difference...
  • estepteau
    Options
    I have same problem you are fine :)
  • estepteau
    Options
    Yes running shoes are very very important I learned that the hard way...lol
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It is both physically and mentally easier on me outside.

Physically - I can find my pace easier and more quickly outside. So I get comfortable with my pace a lot faster making the run itself easier. If I get a burst of energy or a great songs come on I can instantly run faster and full stride. On a treadmill it takes me longer to find the exact right pace of the moment-it's not always the same and I hate adjusting the treadmill controls all the time. Being forced to go faster or slower than the body wants is physically harder on me and I feel like I struggled.

Mentally outdoors is where it's at for me. I can people and scenery watch and use street lights or other markers as goals and checkpoints instead of constantly trying to distract my mind in the gym. Also elevation naturally increases and decreases without pushing buttons.
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Definitely a love/hate relationship with my treadmill... So happy to have it, wouldn't be able to get in nearly as many runs without it, but it sure is tough to get my butt on there to begin with! I would much rather be outside! I think it has to do with the fact that outside you naturally adjust your pace to the highs and low of a run without even thinking about it, whereas being stuck on a treadmill it's just not as easy.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill it's all about mental games. I do things like forcing myself to not look at the display until 3 songs have played out, then 4 songs, etc. Also, watching TV helps. If you're a liberal, watch Fox news. If you're conservative, watch the Daily Show. Get outraged! Whatever you need to keep your attention.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I'm fairly new to running. Due to winter weather I have only run outside a few times. It seemed harder to me - maybe because it was dark, cold and slightly hilly. I only put up with the dreaded treadmill because I have a friend next to me so we can chit chat the whole time. She's a little better runner than me so she can also push me a little when I need it. Beats staring at the screen, wall or tv!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I am faster usually on the treadmill but have noticed lately I can maintain the same speed/pace whether I am on the treadmill or running outside.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You kidding? I have the opposite problem. My treadmill runs are easier than the ones outside. Probably because of the wind resistance, you're actually moving forward against air instead of staying put and just moving your legs.

:laugh:

same for me!!! harder for me to run outside...