Sabotaging with Ice-Cream?

Options
JennieAL
JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
So I've been increasing my workouts lately and starting to focus on muscle building & definition. I've gotten into the habit of nearly daily ice-cream with a cookie or two after dinner. Am I really messing things up for myself? What is everyone's thoughts on staying within your calories, treats, sugar, etc?

And is it ok to substitute fruit and nuts for the ice-cream? Would that be smarter and more efficient calories?

I think I already know the answer :(

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: I think you do.

However, as long as it fits into your calorie goal and your hitting your macros, it's fine! Also, if you actually want to BUILD muscle then you do have to eat at a surplus.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I got into some really bad dessert habits last year and i did find it was easier to wean off them by substituting. If you peel and freeze whole bananas and then mash them up in a food processor or blender, it makes a really decadent-textured dessert. Add vanilla and top with fruit or nuts or sprinkles!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: I think you do.

However, as long as it fits into your calorie goal and your hitting your macros, it's fine! Also, if you actually want to BUILD muscle then you do have to eat at a surplus.

THIS.....^^^^ I eat ice cream when I want it, I just make sure it fits into my calories and macros. No problems losing, I did it with ice cream and pretty much anything else I wanted to eat and still lost 65 lbs. no problem...
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    And is it ok to substitute fruit and nuts for the ice-cream? Would that be smarter and more efficient calories?
    That depends on if you'll actually be satisfied with the fruit and nuts, or if you'll eat the fruit and nuts and then go "Nope, what I really wanted was ice cream" and then still have the ice cream. In that case it would have been more efficient to just have the ice cream in the first place.

But really, there's nothing inherently wrong with ice cream.
  • slicksps
    Options
    Baked apple is also delicious.

Have you also looked into Sorbet if ice cream is a favourite?

Just before I started my diet, I perfected home made ice cream and oh my god, it's so unhealthy I nearly had a heart attack just adding up the ingredients!!!

But as said, if you can fit it into your calorie budget, then there's no real risk to fatty weight gain...
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    If timed right it can be beneficial to muscle gain to eat those things, its all about fitting it into your daily caloric goal, if it fits into your macros and you are eating this thing about 30 mins post workout then you are fine.
  • wyldweazel
    wyldweazel Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Make your own ice cream out of Unsweetened Almond Milk and Chocolate Protein Powder. I made some the other night. It was easy and pretty delicious.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories (and macros), eat it!
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    But really, there's nothing inherently wrong with ice cream.

THIS.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am an ice cream junkie. I would eat a pint a day and it's no wonder I gained 60lbs since I met my boyfriend! I found a nondairy desert that is about the same calorie but much better in the long run. It's called Purely Decadent and it tastes just like regular ice cream. Instead of eating the whole thing I take a few bites at a time when I'm craving ice cream. Don't completely give it up if you know you will wind up binging (which i would do) and instead take a few bites at a time when you crave it.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I substiuted my ice cream and sweets with jello and light cool whip. That way I get something sweet without feeling icky
  • JennieAL
    Options
    I am an ice cream junkie. I would eat a pint a day and it's no wonder I gained 60lbs since I met my boyfriend! I found a nondairy desert that is about the same calorie but much better in the long run. It's called Purely Decadent and it tastes just like regular ice cream. Instead of eating the whole thing I take a few bites at a time when I'm craving ice cream. Don't completely give it up if you know you will wind up binging (which i would do) and instead take a few bites at a time when you crave it.

I like this brand! I like the coconut ice-cream... lately we've been getting Breyer's. Breyer's Vanilla is probably my favorite. I may pick up some of the Purely Decadent coconut today.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    My hubby and I got into some really bad dessert habits last year and i did find it was easier to wean off them by substituting. If you peel and freeze whole bananas and then mash them up in a food processor or blender, it makes a really decadent-textured dessert. Add vanilla and top with fruit or nuts or sprinkles!

Yep, I did the frozen bananas for a while when I was trying to eat all raw (too hard, mistake!). I did like a combo of raw bananas, raw cacao, nut butter... that was good stuff! I might go back to the and the Purely Decadent coconut ice-cream.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    Options

I like this brand! I like the coconut ice-cream... lately we've been getting Breyer's. Breyer's Vanilla is probably my favorite. I may pick up some of the Purely Decadent coconut today.

I am very happy that I found something I can still have! The ingredients are much better than dairy, which I recently cut out of my diet entirely along with wheat. I can still have the one thing I didn't want to give up, its great. My fave though had to be ben and jerrys hands down. sadly though I think with the Purely Decadent I can make it. lol. I tried almond ice cream which is non dairy and that was pretty good too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So I've been increasing my workouts lately and starting to focus on muscle building & definition. I've gotten into the habit of nearly daily ice-cream with a cookie or two after dinner. Am I really messing things up for myself? What is everyone's thoughts on staying within your calories, treats, sugar, etc?

Does it fit in your caloric plan? Then it's perfectly fine. Hit your macros, hit your calorie goals, the actual food you eat doesn't matter.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I like a cup of frozen blueberries (or whatever you like) 1/2 cup silk light, 1 tsp FF/SF instant cheesecake Jello Mix and blend. Top with a sprinkle of crushed graham cracker (optional)
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I was formerly a huge ice cream junkie as well... I really can't have it in the house, even the sugar-free/fat free/etc. stuff.

However... If you like to eat A WHOLE LOT of something frozen, there is always ARCTIC ZERO. The whole pint is 150 calories and it doesn't have any artificial sweeteners or anything. The texture is somewhere between sorbet and ice milk, but you can eat so much of it guilt-free.

Check out their web site to see if they have it near you. It's still expensive so it's not a good habit to pick up, but as a harmless treat I love it.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    Options
    I was formerly a huge ice cream junkie as well... I really can't have it in the house, even the sugar-free/fat free/etc. stuff.

However... If you like to eat A WHOLE LOT of something frozen, there is always ARCTIC ZERO. The whole pint is 150 calories and it doesn't have any artificial sweeteners or anything. The texture is somewhere between sorbet and ice milk, but you can eat so much of it guilt-free.

Check out their web site to see if they have it near you. It's still expensive so it's not a good habit to pick up, but as a harmless treat I love it.

I wanted to try that stuff but we have nowhere here that carries it. It sucks trying to be healthy without some sort of Whole Foods store! lol. Fortunately our HEB grocery store carries a lot diet specific foods, so I get by!
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    http://www.myarcticzero.com/ this is what you need! yum
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Does it fit in your caloric plan? Then it's perfectly fine. Hit your macros, hit your calorie goals, the actual food you eat doesn't matter.

This. Completely this.

No need micromanage crap that doesn't matter, or cut out things you actually like and run the risk of falling off.

Several of the ripped guys here eat ice cream daily.