Slow cooker virgin- recipes needed!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I love a crock pot - my kids favorite is crock pot chicken. Just throw in a chicken (cut up) and onion, celery or what ever you want. let it cook all day. take it out and debone it. while you are doing that you can add some thickening agent (flour, cornstartch) put the chicken back in - server over rice, potatoes, biscuits - or plain in a bowl. yummy!

can do the same with a less expensive cut of beef also - ok - made me hungry, now I have to go home and cook!

I just put the whole chicken in, sprinkle with seasonings (do NOT add liquid), put on the lid and set on low all day. Meat will fall off the bones, shred's nicely for lots of dishes. Tastes like a rotisserie chicken.
  • DBRobinson13
    DBRobinson13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/p/recipe-index.html

This website has an entire section on crock pot recipes. I've tagged them on my pinterest board, but haven't tried them yet.
  • Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Easy Crock - Pot Pork Roast

1 pork loin (Size it based on your crock pot)
    1/2 bag Fingerling potatos (use the whole bag if you're feeding a crowd)
    4 tbsp Stubbs Pork Marinade (may be a south thing, if you cant find it try Allegros)
    12 ozs Shiner Blonde (or any other beer you like - just keep it light)

Marinade the pork loin overnight. Put one layer of the potatoes (leave them whole) in the bottom of the crock. Place pork loin on top of potatoes. Pour in used marinade and beer. Surround the pork loin with potatoes. (Just be careful to not let the pork loin be completely submerged in the liquid. You want about a centimeter of the meat out of the cooking liquid.) Cook on high for 3-4 hours.

Serving suggestion: make a little gravy from the liquid to put over the potatoes and serve with a green salad.

This one turned out great as an after church lunch on blood drive day. The pork is rather lean and adds great flavor to the potatoes.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Roast turkey breast! Slice an onion and put it in first, salt and pepper and poultry seasoning on the breast, set to low, ignore for 6-8 hours.

Spanish chicken: boneless, skinless breasts, 1/2 a can of beer, a small can of tomato paste, and a small jar of stuffed green olives.

Also the crockpot is the BEST way to cook dried beans. Rinse your beans, then put them in with lots of water and some salt, cook on HI for an hour, then low for 4-6 hours. Perfect beans, creamy inside, but still firm outside.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I just put the whole chicken in, sprinkle with seasonings (do NOT add liquid), put on the lid and set on low all day. Meat will fall off the bones, shred's nicely for lots of dishes. Tastes like a rotisserie chicken.
    [/quote]

YES! i do this also, then you can make some homemade broth right after and let cook over night!

Eat whatever meat you will be eating, then leave the rest in the crockpot (you can actually take off most of the meat if you want at this point)

Leave the carcass in the crock, put in some water and add some onion, celery,carrots (all rough chopped, no need to even peel), I also throw in some fresh herbs if I have some (if not, its ok) also add in some whole cloves of garlic, peppercorns, etc etc etc

edit: if you did not take off all the meat, take it off in the morning after you drain the stock out. kind of gross going thru all the stuff that was in the pot, but so worth it!!

In the am, drain the liquid out and VOILA! Homemade chicken broth to use. you can freeze it too!

Here is a quick tip:

whenever I am using onions, carrots, or celery I freeze the ends that i have cut off. Then when I am making homemade stock, I just put these ends into the stockpot / crockpot for some extra veggies! no need to waste anything!
  • nikicrin
    nikicrin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ah thanks so much for all the replies everyone... almost wish it wasnt xmas so i could get trying my recipes!! but visiting family and friends for next 4 days, after that i will be crock pot masterchef :D

thanks again, i will let you know how it goes!!

xx