What was/is your excuse?

Options
2»

Replies

• SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No time and I had five pregnancies so I should embrace my "mommy" body. (BTW my family is also mostly obese)
  • Alishia_655
    Options
    I blamed my gain on having my daughter, and genetics. My mother and father are severely overweight, their parents are overweight, and so on.

I have smoked for a very long time and just thought my lungs couldn't handle exercise.

Unfortunately, I still smoke, and am working on quitting =) I have now learned that my metabolism is not what it was when I was 10, and also enjoy looking as best as I can for my husband. I also want my daughter to know that a healthy life is possible, no matter the family history. She and I work out together, and I have to say, the laughter we share during our workouts (she is close to 2) makes my entire day so much better!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    No excuses, not then, not now.

I've always taken full responsibility for my body. I was fat because over many years I ate very slightly more than my body needed for the exercise it was getting, and I knew that.

When it got to the point that I wanted to do something about it, I did.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Stress eating and not having enough time. I also thought that it was sexy to be "fat".
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    No time and I had five pregnancies so I should embrace my "mommy" body. (BTW my family is also mostly obese)
    5 kids? R u kidding me?
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    5 kids? R u kidding me?

:blushing: 6 pregnancies now, but I was training by then (she is 21mo, my eldest is 21 years)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My excuses were: a genetically screwed up spine, allergies that make me feel like a truck ran me over most of the year, a borderline low metabolism (not quite bad enough to medicate, but definitely not normal), a history of crash dieting and diet pill popping, and frankly not really wanting to live anyway. Well, I certainly don't intend to go on living like this. It's time for me to get in the best shape possible and then get the heck out of this region of the country, because I truly am ill here most of the year, and I'm done putting up with it. If that means packing up a sleeping bag, tent, and backpack and heading out of here on foot, so be it, that's what I'll do. And that's going to require me to be in very good shape.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've had a thousand excuses:

genetics
    slow thyroid
    bunion in my foot made me inactive
    birth control made me hungry
    migraine pills made me tired

Of course, some of those things I can fix, and some of them I can't. I am learning to fix the things I can, and just keep plugging away. I got off my migraine pills and my birth control, because I'm at a point in my life where that stuff is optional. The bunion was removed, and the thyroid is being treated.

All of these things made me gain weight. Losing weight was an absolute struggle, and I almost gave up hope several times. Then, as certain medical conditions were getting better, the weight loss just started to happen. Now that I'm actually trying, it feels amazing.

So yes, these sorts of things are speed bumps, but they are not stop signs.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    My mom inducting me into the Clean Plate Club - had to sit at the table til midnight, and if my plate wasn't clean, I got it for breakfast, lunch and dinner the next day until it was. Still sometimes find myself feeling like I have to eat everything on my plate.
    Alcohol, LOTS of alcohol. Since I got pregnant with my first in '94 I rarely touch it, even less when I found out how it affects your metabolism.
    Strattera (ADD med that added the last 50 lbs), have since switched to another.

Thanks to sites like this, and doing lots of research, I'm prepared for the future, and no more excuses!

And seriously, SeaSiren, SIX?!?! Are you secretly a seahorse and your husband carried them for you??? :smile:

Had to edit for SeaSiren's #6!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My excuse was not having the time (and genetics). I was always too busy to look after myself. Oh yea I also really enjoy eating.

But I quickly found out that I could make the time (especially on weekends) and that more time spent on exercise means more energy which ironically gives you more productive time for work and to enjoy life!

As for the "I really enjoy eating" excuse, I have identified the difference between emotional eating and true eating for pleasure.

The first sort of eating is really not that great, the trigger is something negative. The second sort of eating is fine, a great reward for when you have been doing the right things all week. Once again, ironically I now savour my food even more. Treats have become that: treats. They taste far better when you don't eat them all the time.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Left the Air Force & went into IT. Got lazy & thought I was too tired & not enough time for exercise. WRONG! Making time for exercise meant I feel more energised & make better use of the time I have. Win/win - more exercise = more time & more energy :D
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    PCOS. I have it therefore I'm doomed to be fat and infertile. Let's ignore all the women who have overcome both those conditions. Nope I'm DOOMED.

Kicking PCOSs *kitten* one day at a time.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ooooops.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I had any excuses.. I admitted I was fat and kept reminding myself of it a lot and rarely did anything about it. I guess the only thing I could blame it on was maybe puberty? Before then I was a very picky eater, but all of a sudden when that hit I wanted to devour everything. And I just kept up that habit for a long time till I got really fat.