A cry for help!!

2»

Replies

• TempeB
    TempeB Posts: 43 Member
    Logging your food consumption is a great thing, because you can actually see where your calories are coming from. The database here is an excellent one, very comprehensive.

Once you figure out what your eating cycles and foods are, then you can start to make sensible substitutions. Find the foods that will keep you feeling full, nutritiously, and then base your meals on those. It's never the same, we're all individuals who have our own tastes and likes/dislikes. Look at the food diaries of your friends to get ideas too.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    I'm in college but living at home too. I cut out sodas completely last year and once you do, you will never crave it again. You will lose any enjoyment from the taste (and the bubbles!!) If you are having trouble with that you can try mixing some sparkling water and strong cranberry or other fruit juices. You'll find the right combination that wont make it too watery.

exercise is available on campus, just from walking from class to class. If you have time between classes take a walk around campus, walk to the library or computers or something. Also, colleges usually give discounted or free gym memberships to their own gym. You may be able to check that out.

bringing healthy snacks with you is a good option if your craving the sugars from your sodas. Little oranges, apple slices, peaches are all super sweet! If you like desserts after dinner, core an apple and stick it in the oven with cinnamon... INSTANT APPLE PIE!!!

there are a lot of cheap healthy options and if you want to cut out the fast food issue, just dont go into a fast food place. its like the sodas... hard to go cold turkey, but very rewarding once you stop altogether. (cheaper too!!!)

I have issues with eating at home because, even though i count my calories, i fill up on toast and pasta. I'll be watching this thread for more advice for myself hehehehe
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    OK, my two cents. Find a sport you like and find a place to do your sport. It's the best way of getting into shape and staying in shape. Actually, find two sports or three. There are lots of sports out there and lots of leagues to play them on. We all need motivation and just going to the weight room is very hard without getting stronger to do something specific.
    My reasons to get into shape, stay in shape and get stronger are all of the sports I play. I want to be a better volleyball player, soccer player and coach. Find your sport and find a fun place to do your sport.
    Good luck!

I'll agree with this 100%. I've never stopped playing sport but my goal is to be a better player for softball. I'm also organizing my work netball team so I'll be playing that next year.
    I'm in college but living at home too. I cut out sodas completely last year and once you do, you will never crave it again. You will lose any enjoyment from the taste (and the bubbles!!)

Lol no. I really, really, really, really wish this was the case. I LOVE IT still and have to be careful not to drink too much.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 694 Member
    I am a little bit older then you and out of college....but I know the weight loss struggles. A quick question for you: do you have any means of cooking....stove, oven microwave, ect? Are you in a house or dorm? Makes a big difference. What I can say for now is to buy lots of fruits (no cooking involved) and for veggies, try the steamable frozen type...they still taste great and only need a microwave. If you do have a stove or oven, try cooking larger portions of soups or casseroles on the weekend to eat throughout the week. Get some low-fat, low cal granola bars, light string cheese, almonds, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, or anything else you like to snack on. Keep those type things in your bag for around campus.
    As for the soda....I recently quit soda and coffee too. I know its rough!! I switched to iced green-tea with splenda or truvia....it helps with the caffiene withdrawl. You could also to regular tea. Use a natural sweetener for less cals.

Good luck to you and feel free to add me if you need some motivation!!!

I live in a house with my parents, we have a stove, oven and microwave. I'm very interested in cooking bigger meals to eat throughout the week, I just need to find some material to get me started with that. I'm very big on finding resources to rely on, rather just thinking things up myself.

One of the best websites that I use a lot is www.eatingwell.com and skinnytaste.com they both have a lot of great low cal recipes!! And learn to cook in a crock pot, I work 12hr shifts so I live by my crock pot. Something easy like a few chicken breasts with a jar of salsa, cooked on low all day tastes amazing and you can make a lot. Or do chicken or beef with the low-fat type of cream of mushroom soup. And like I said in the original post...get steamable veggies and most brands (like steam-fresh) make rice this way too, even brown rice. I stock up on these when they are on sale. Very easy to throw in the microwave and add as aside or use the brown rice with something you made in the crockpot!!