Back from my first trip to the nutritionist...

Options
shovav91
shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
Today I had an appointment with a world-renowned nutritionists. Aside from a host of problems that I've realized I have, I learned a lot of things about food in general that I thought I'd share.
1. American-grown whole wheat products are one of the worst things to put in your body. Because there is such a surplus, it sits around for a long time causing those products to contain a lot of mold which causes adverse reactions. The only reason it was being pushed so much by the old food pyramid was because it was created and funded by the whole-wheat manufacturers.
2. Cow's milk products should ONLY be consumed if they are organic. Non-organic products contain the bovine growth hormone which causes a whole slew of problems in humans, including acne!
3. Vitamin D is best absorbed after a fat. If you take a fish oil supplement, take the vitamin D right after for optimum absorption.
4. Cod liver oil is the best fish oil to take (make sure it has had the mercury filtered out!)
5. Food logs here are WAY off when it comes to protein. You should be getting a minimum of 4-5 servings of protein a day from CONCENTRATED sources. A gram here and there doesn't even get utilized by your body. A serving is about 15 grams. 6 oz of greek yogurt, 3 oz of fish, 1 whole egg and 2 whites or 4 egg whites, etc. I thought I was getting enough because my log claimed that my protein was consistently high, but it turns out that my body is literally eating my muscles because I'm so extremely protein deficient.
6. Sunflower nut butter is the best nut butter because of the magnesium (most people have a deficiency, which is bad because it acts as a catalyst in your body)
7. Don't be afraid of avocados because they are high in calories! It is proven that people who consume avocado lose more weight than those who don't (not to mention the monstrous amounts of health benefits that avocados provide)

Just thought I'd share some of the things I learned today. I know they will impact my life and eating habits for the better, and I hope it does the same for you!

Replies

• traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I try to eat avacados everyday....mmmmmm.....thanks for posting:)
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    And Im sorry to hear of your problems hun. Hope everything turns for the best soon!!(hugs)
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You're such an inspiration and a great source of support - I see you all over my friends list with encouraging words. Thanks for sharing this info, and if you need any support during your time of need, please don't hesitate to ask!

That info about the protein is incredibly interesting - I had no idea. Makes me think seriously about changing my macros again.
  • shovav91
    Options
    And Im sorry to hear of your problems hun. Hope everything turns for the best soon!!(hugs)

Thanks so much love, I'm hoping for the best :D
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    this is really good info. I knew some of the stuff..but the whole.."eating atleast 15g of protein for it to count" is reall really good to know.
  • shovav91
    Options
    You're such an inspiration and a great source of support - I see you all over my friends list with encouraging words. Thanks for sharing this info, and if you need any support during your time of need, please don't hesitate to ask!

That info about the protein is incredibly interesting - I had no idea. Makes me think seriously about changing my macros again.

You're so sweet love, I so appreciate having you in my MFP family! And absolutely look over your protein; it's so important. I had no idea either, so I'm really ready to get healthier!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I was expecting better.
  • shovav91
    Options

Expecting better what?
  • mattquit
    mattquit Posts: 175
    Options
    thanks for the information.

question about people who eat avocados. my culture was always taught to eat avocados with sugar. how do people eat avocados raw normally?
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I forgot all about the extra hormones used for cow's milk. Luckily I go to the store tomorrow, and I'm out of cow's milk, and I'm going SOY! And I'll definitely have to look into the American Wheat Bread.

Thank you so much for posting this! It's helped shape my grocery list!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Expecting better what?

Much of the advice you got is wrong
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I forgot all about the extra hormones used for cow's milk. Luckily I go to the store tomorrow, and I'm out of cow's milk, and I'm going SOY! And I'll definitely have to look into the American Wheat Bread.

You might want to look into soy and phytoestrogen before you jump on that band wagon. And for any Canadians out there, our milk does not contain BGH.
  • shovav91
    Options

Expecting better what?

Much of the advice you got is wrong

The advice I got was from a well-respected nutritionist who has been in the business for over 40 years and has appeared on many TV shows and written many books. I didn't make up any of this information. What problems do you see with it?
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat sits around too long? What did your nutritionist recommend for bread?
  • reginahimes
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I was often "over" on the protein on MFP too and was wondering if it was harmful to my diet to be getting too much protein. One thing I have to disagree with the nutritionist is that your body is eating up your muscle when protein is too low. That is only true if your BMI is below 10 which maybe yours is. It is teens for men. I would say most people women are above 10 BMI. I know this from a rgid military study that was done. I cut out whole grains and dairy and pasta three weeks ago and I have lost 10lbs. The thing I have learned about nutritional advise is it seems to constantly change. Thanks again.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Today I had an appointment with a world-renowned nutritionists. Aside from a host of problems that I've realized I have, I learned a lot of things about food in general that I thought I'd share.
    1. American-grown whole wheat products are one of the worst things to put in your body. Because there is such a surplus, it sits around for a long time causing those products to contain a lot of mold which causes adverse reactions. The only reason it was being pushed so much by the old food pyramid was because it was created and funded by the whole-wheat manufacturers.
    2. Cow's milk products should ONLY be consumed if they are organic. Non-organic products contain the bovine growth hormone which causes a whole slew of problems in humans, including acne!
    3. Vitamin D is best absorbed after a fat. If you take a fish oil supplement, take the vitamin D right after for optimum absorption.
    4. Cod liver oil is the best fish oil to take (make sure it has had the mercury filtered out!)
    5. Food logs here are WAY off when it comes to protein. You should be getting a minimum of 4-5 servings of protein a day from CONCENTRATED sources. A gram here and there doesn't even get utilized by your body. A serving is about 15 grams. 6 oz of greek yogurt, 3 oz of fish, 1 whole egg and 2 whites or 4 egg whites, etc. I thought I was getting enough because my log claimed that my protein was consistently high, but it turns out that my body is literally eating my muscles because I'm so extremely protein deficient.
    6. Sunflower nut butter is the best nut butter because of the magnesium (most people have a deficiency, which is bad because it acts as a catalyst in your body)
    7. Don't be afraid of avocados because they are high in calories! It is proven that people who consume avocado lose more weight than those who don't (not to mention the monstrous amounts of health benefits that avocados provide)

Just thought I'd share some of the things I learned today. I know they will impact my life and eating habits for the better, and I hope it does the same for you!

Thanks for posting this for everyone to read! Love seeing the information. In fact I have certain "go to" foods that I eat that seem to kick off the weight and avocado is one of them. (Olives (not too many) are another.) Funny that the nutritionist had it on the list as important to know. Thought it was just my quirk.
  • puppywalker
    puppywalker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lovelee79
    Options
    Love this !! Thanks so much for posting ! I already knew about the wheat. And I will definitely stop my avocado guilt ! lol
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

You might want to look into soy and phytoestrogen before you jump on that band wagon. And for any Canadians out there, our milk does not contain BGH.

And if you still decide to go with soy, be sure it's not genetically modified...unless that's your thing...
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    They sound so much better then the one I saw. She didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Any recommendations on wheat products then?
    maybe a dumb question, Is hsbt the hormone in some milk? My milk says HSBT free