Skinny Fat is my goal

Options

Replies

• robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... I thought skinny fat was when you're weight in in a healthy range but your body fat % is high?

well that would be me :drinker:
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I see where the OP is coming from. I am naturally quite muscly, but I find the obsession with abs and obvious muscles on this site very wearing. I have spent much of my life trying to play down my muscle, I don't think butch is a good look on me. Before anyone says women don't bulk, I do. At least, I get bulkier than I would like. And a BF of under about 18 on any woman looks wrong. In my opinion.

Everyone is allowed their own goal, not everyone wants to look like something from body rock tv or whatever it's called.

MY after pic must be wrong then... :(

Although in my after pic I think was 19%...close enough to wrong though. :(((
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I see where the OP is coming from. I am naturally quite muscly, but I find the obsession with abs and obvious muscles on this site very wearing. I have spent much of my life trying to play down my muscle, I don't think butch is a good look on me. Before anyone says women don't bulk, I do. At least, I get bulkier than I would like. And a BF of under about 18 on any woman looks wrong. In my opinion.

Everyone is allowed their own goal, not everyone wants to look like something from body rock tv or whatever it's called.

MY after pic must be wrong then... :(

There is no right or wrong, it's all about personal opinion. I think women look better with above 18% BF. I would say for me between 18 and 22 is about ideal (I am currently at 20). Below 18 my face looks very gaunt and my limbs look sinewy. I don't like the look of visible veins. If you like that look, knock yourself out. I am only stating my own preference, just as everyone else is.
  • apilant
    apilant Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i don't think it means what you think it means....

inconceivable!

LOL, my favorite movie!

Bahahahahaha I laughed at this longer than the thought of "skinny fat"
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is what you should do:

Set MFP at 1200 & don't eat exercise calories
    cardio 6x a week for minimum an hour (zumba, tae bo, body sculpt, long distance slow jogging, any jillian michaels dvd are really good)
    Make sure never to consume anywhere near 1g/lb of bw of protein
    Never pick up anything heavier than your handbag

I wish you the best in you're quest for skinny fatness.

I wish I would've had my body fat tested after I ran my last marathon with no weight training to dispute this "cardio causes skinny fat" nonsense. Long runs do burn fat. . .what else do you think you're burning after you've burned off what you've eaten?

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/tips_archives/fatburning.html
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

cardio 6x a week for minimum an hour (zumba, tae bo, body sculpt, long distance slow jogging, any jillian michaels dvd are really good)

Exactly.

Skinny fat sucks so bad, and you obviously have no idea what it means.

Skinny fat has obese levels of visceral fat, you know, the fat you can't see on the surface that causes you to have horrendous health problems...

Skinny fat get winded walking upstairs. Being skinny does not equal being fit.

Eliminating skinny fatness does NOT mean that you have sticks for arms with little bumps of muscle. On what planet did you conjure up that idiotic though? Eliminating skinny fatness does NOT mean that you have to get "implants to make you look feminine."

I've seen a lot of ignorant misinformed posts, but wow, this one is my favorite of this month.

But if that's your goal, then eat next to nothing, exercise your brains out with Tae Bo, and don't be surprised when your cholesterol goes up even though you weigh 130 pounds. Just ask my friend Mendy how many pills she takes as a 32 year old...simply because she's always been skinny fat and doesn't see the need to workout to lose body fat since she wears size 4 clothes.

Good luck to you. I think?
  • Lyadeia
    Options

I wish I would've had my body fat tested after I ran my last marathon with no weight training to dispute this "cardio causes skinny fat" nonsense. Long runs do burn fat. . .what else do you think you're burning after you've burned off what you've eaten?

Different things work for different people. Eating a huge deficit and doing only cardio gave me a 132 pound body with 32% body fat. That wasn't remedied until I started eating more and lifting weight.
  • sarahl4s
    sarahl4s Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think you just mean you don't want to be TOO skinny which is understandable. But I always think of skinny fat as someone who's genetics allows them to be skinny but they are not fit or healthy at all.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

I so wish I had your problem!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Fat & muscle.

Resistance training is done & adequate protein consumed to preserve lean body mass.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

Nothing exemplifies this increasing efficiency better than how the body starts burning fuel. Training at a consistently plus-65 percent heart rate adapts the body to save as much body fat as possible. That’s right, after regular training, fat cells stop releasing fat during moderate-intensity activities like they once did.32-33 Energy from body fat stores decreases by a whopping 30 percent. 34-35 To this end, the body even sets into motion a series of reactions that make it difficult for muscle to burn fat at all.36-41 Instead of burning body fat, the body is taking extraordinary measures to hold on to it. Still believe cardio is the fast track to fat loss?
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lumlw8BsxV1qzozj1.gif
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I've always thought skinny fat was being able to eat a whole crap load and never gain a pound and still be stick skinny even if you never workout and never eat healthy. ie I have a few friends who could literally eat whatever the hell they wanted...fast food and pop all day and they're still stick skinny and never have to workout.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Fat & muscle.

Resistance training is done & adequate protein consumed to preserve lean body mass.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

Nothing exemplifies this increasing efficiency better than how the body starts burning fuel. Training at a consistently plus-65 percent heart rate adapts the body to save as much body fat as possible. That’s right, after regular training, fat cells stop releasing fat during moderate-intensity activities like they once did.32-33 Energy from body fat stores decreases by a whopping 30 percent. 34-35 To this end, the body even sets into motion a series of reactions that make it difficult for muscle to burn fat at all.36-41 Instead of burning body fat, the body is taking extraordinary measures to hold on to it. Still believe cardio is the fast track to fat loss?

^^Yep.

In talking with a lot of endurance athletes, when it comes to their peak training, they actually start gaining weight. This is usually near the 13+hour training weeks.

When I hit my peak for my 1/2 Ironman I actually gained about 10 lbs while still on a deficit over the last month of my training.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    By the definitions I see here, I am skinny fat.....and hate it. I've never been huge, but never thin. Never out of shape or weak, but not in shape or strong either. Everyone says I "carry my weight well" when I tell them how much I weigh.

This is NOT what I want for the rest of my life! If you are obese and getting to skinny fat is your goal, great. At least you will be taking charge and changing for the better. Maybe when you get there, you will set a new goal! Not everyone wants to be a fitness model, but I think we all want to be healthy. Good luck on your journey!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Wow. :laugh:
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    I wanna be sober-drunk next year! :drinker:

J/K - I don't know what "skinny-fat" means but it made me giggle. :flowerforyou: :tongue:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Not everyone wants to be a fitness model, but I think we all want to be healthy.

But the point is, skinny fat =/= healthy. It might look healthy, but there's things going on that clothing sizes don't tell us.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I've always thought skinny fat was being able to eat a whole crap load and never gain a pound and still be stick skinny even if you never workout and never eat healthy. ie I have a few friends who could literally eat whatever the hell they wanted...fast food and pop all day and they're still stick skinny and never have to workout.

That's just a high metabolism if they don't have high body fat.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4" 115lbs and 16% body fat . I run 40 min a day. I should weight train, but don't.

Am I skinny fat?
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Lol...I'm skinny fat!! I weigh 107lbs with a BMI of about 19 with flabby arms and thighs >.<