Do you eat first or workout first?

Options
I've been wondering which is the best method to losing weight. Do you workout before you eat? Or do you eat first. I was told by one friend that I should eat 2 hours before I work out or workout an hour or so before I eat. Another friend told me that your metabolism doesn't even kick in until after you've eaten breakfast. So which is the way to go?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I doesn't matter. I've worked out in the mornings on an empty stomach, I've worked out in the afternoon after lunch, I've worked out in the evening before dinner. I lost weight at about the same rate with all of them.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which is "best", but I work out at 6am before work during the week and I eat right before I leave for the gym (so I'm working out 15mins later). I don't eat anything heavy, usually english muffin toasted w/some pb and honey on it.
  • TimeToDoMe87
    Options
    I have been told its best to work out AFTER. Before can cause cramping, or other small things like fatigue, and not wanting to work out as much from being full. If you work out it boosts your metabolism, so when you eat after your work out, your burn the food quicker. I have stuck by that and the days I work out at night I wake up a little bit heavier than the days I work out in the morning. I usually see a bigger difference working out before you eat.
  • Salexan13
    Options
    I eat an hour after my workout because your still burning fat after you finish your workout but if you eat immediately after you'll stop burning fat.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Both. I can't workout on an empty stomach at all.
    So I usually eat (nothing too big), let it settle, then go to the gym, spend around an hour there, go home and have a normal meal. It's usually been at least 3 hours passing in that time, and working out makes me more hungry lol
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    since I workout after work I go straight into it and eat a light dinner after.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I wake up at 5:30 am have a quick cereal or warm up one of my jimmy dean's d-light sandwiches or kashi go lean waffles before I go workout at 6:30 am. Figures it will give my body some quick fuel to do a great workout.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    i'm not sure if it really matters that much as long as you are being consistent and getting your workouts done !
  • ms_karu
    ms_karu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how long you plan to exercise. I was trying to workout for 2 hours (1 hour walk and 1 hour of circuit training) on an empty stomach and during my circuit training I felt sluggish and nearly passed out. I usually have a Fiberone bar (130 calories) before exercising. I find that I when I eat something before exercising I have a lot of energy and keep up a fast walking pace and I can make it through my workout.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I eat something, usually always. My workouts are usually around 9:30, so I do have time to eat before getting it done. If I worked out at 5 or 6 in the morning (god help my family) I probably wouldn't unless it was a protein shake or smoothie.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I normally eat first then wait 30 min to an hr than workout
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I've heard you get more fat loss in the morning on an empty stomach, but that method is not for everyone. I eat both before and after so I have energy to do the exercise and to not be hungry after I sweat my heart out.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If it's in the morning, I'll eat first. Just something small like a fruit, hard boiled egg or bagel. If it's during the day, I work out and then have lunch after, but usually something small such as a vegetable before I start. I've been told that it burns more when you eat after working out.
    :)
  • LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Usually I work out first, sometimes working out curves my appetite
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    I used to workout first, but now I eat first ....
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything I've read says it doesn't matter. it's a myth you'll burn more fat in an empty stomach. I used to work out then eat, but now that I have more time in the morning I have breakfast and head to the gym and hour or so later. I did notice the other day when I hadn't eaten for several hours my workout suffered a bit, but there were other factors at play too, so I don't think that necessarily was caused by not eating.

Do whatever you prefer.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    both.. lol

well, a little before to have some fuel and then a real meal afterwards to repair muscles .. and that is when the metabolism works best (post work out)
  • Leyila
    Options
    Thank you all for replying. I normally work out mid morning after I've had breakfast and coffee. Usually about an hour after I eat. But when the subject came up I started wondering which way was best.
  • MissOphelia
    Options
    I work out after I eat breakfast and then I work out in the middle of the afternoon between meals. It seems to be working well so far :)
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I work out first. I feel like the only time of the day I have the motivation and energy to put towards a workout is FIRST thing in the morning. And it's been working for me. :)