Am I just being overly sensitive?

Options
13»

Replies

• Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    use the same line on him next time you have sex.

^^ I second this.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    You're being over sensitive.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    He OR she (as has been stated..I feel folks are jumping to the wrong conclusions here) may have been indirectly questioning why it takes so long when you go to the gym vs the 10 minutes at home. So instead of a remark concerning the dedication or lack there of, of your exercise regiment, it could be a subconcious insecurity remark toward your relationship. In other words..."Why are you gone for 2 hours to the gym when it only takes you 10 minutes to complete your workout here??" I hope that is not the case but to me, that would be a more logical reason for a remark like that.
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    use the same line on him next time you have sex.

My favorite MFP advice EVER!!!

I have to agree! THATS FUNNY!!! I don't care who you are!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Interesting.....

The OP NEVER used a word the specified the sex of her SO. She referred to the person as "they" and a good majority referred to the SO as a he. And some answered were even geared towards the response being typically male.
    I noticed that too. Not in a judge-y way on anyone, but heterosexuality is usually assumed. :huh:
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    15 minutes in the grand scheme of ANYTHING (with the exception of pain!) really isn't long. I'm talking in VERY GENERAL TERMS, not in terms of how long you (OP) worked out. Because Lord knows 15 minutes of a killer workout can feel like an hour.

I've had my DH say the same thing to me. In no way does he mean that I wasn't working out hard or putting any effort into it - he sees me panting and dripping with sweat and basically a gross mess after a workout. What he means, and ALL he means, is that I disappeared in the basement for a workout and he was surprised at it only taking X amount of time.

I know it's a very sensitive area - trying to get in shape, working out, etc - is extremely personal, so it's easy to take things personally immediately, rather than thinking, processing, evaluating, etc. But intention has to come into play here, too. Would your SO *really* say something to hurt you when s/he knows you're trying so hard? (Some aren't supportive and that sucks, but I'm just saying - benefit of the doubt, you know?)

Keep on keeping on - and good for you for a great workout!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Last night instead of hitting the gym I decided to do a workout at home..it was only about 10-15 mins BUT it was one of the hardest home workouts that I've ever done and I finished feeling quite proud that I actually did almost everything involved. When I was done my SO was standing in the kitchen (and although has been totally supportive in all my weight loss efforts) says "That wasn't long". Now, I know they didn't mean it as a negative remark and was not trying to hurt my feelings..BUT..it did. Am I over reacting!? I just felt like they popped my bubble a bit..

I am sure you would of said the same if that was the amount of effort he gave you in the bedroom.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My family always makes remarks like that. It doesn't matter what I do, but they will say you didn't work out for very long, or that doesn't look very hard. However when I ask any of them to do, they suddenly shut up. =)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    What if he normally watches sexy movies while you're at the gym, and you totally threw off his schedule? Maybe he was just commenting because he was disappointed that he wouldn't find out the thrilling conclusion to "Saving Ryan's Privates"....
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Interesting.....

The OP NEVER used a word the specified the sex of her SO. She referred to the person as "they" and a good majority referred to the SO as a he. And some answered were even geared towards the response being typically male.
    I noticed that too. Not in a judge-y way on anyone, but heterosexuality is usually assumed. :huh:

That's what I had meant - I didn't care the sexuality either way, just interesting to see the auto-assumption that the OP must be hetero by default.