More protein please..

Options
kel7298
kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
I need to eat more protein but need to watch the calories. Less is definitely more for me right now. I would like to keep it under 50 calories but I know that is probably not realistic. Maybe 50-100 calories is better.

What foods give the most protein for the calories buck.

Let me clarify my 50 calories - These are mostly breakfast calories, just enough to take my vitamins with. I like to use the least amount of calories at breakfast...save em for later attitude.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I need to eat more protein but need to watch the calories. Less is definitely more for me right now. I would like to keep it under 50 calories but I know that is probably not realistic. Maybe 50-100 calories is better.

What foods give the most protein for the calories buck.

protein powder

chicken breasts

tuna

shrimp
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    6oz of plain fat-free greek yogurt has 100 calories and 18 grams of protein. I mix in half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (for 60 cals and another 12g of protein) and half a cup of fresh or frozen raspberries (maybe another 40 cals). 200 cals and 30g of protein total.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Under 50 cals for a good amount of pretien, you will struggle. I eat a lot of turkey as a main meal or lunch, rather tahn snacking on protein.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Tuna has about 26 grams per can- 100-120 calories.
    Chicken breast - about 100-120 calories for 4 ounces. About 26 grams of protein as well.
    There are some low calorie whey protein powders on the market as well.
  • 65PONY
    65PONY Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cooage Cheese :-) If you dont like it plain...add 1 fruit cup in light syrup...Yummy
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    chic peas
    chicken
    fish
  • 65PONY
    65PONY Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oppsss Cottage Cheese
  • Try a protien shake! You can usually get a good shake with only 100 calories for about 20g of protien. As for foods: tuna, shrimp, tilapia, salmon, chicken breast, and non fat yogurt.
  • kel7298
    Options
    Maybe I should clarify my 50 calories - These are mostly breakfast calories, just enough to take my vitamins with. I like to use the least amount of calories at breakfast...save em for later attitude.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    After joining here I realized I was way low on protein intake too. I supplement with protein powder, easiest for me.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of chicken. I buy the sacks of frozen boneless skinless breasts and throw whatever seasonings in the bag so it marinates while it thaws. I grill all of them and then we have some for dinner and I take the rest for lunches.
  • simone_84
    simone_84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese! 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese packs about 12 grams of protein, is only 90 calories and is both low in fat and sugar which makes it ideal for both weight loss and building muscle. And you can to it if you like although I just add a little pepper. Greek yogurt is high in protein too but also has more calories and a LOT more sugar.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The most protein you will get for 50 calories is a little over 12 grams. And that's if all it is is protein.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Poultry, egg whites, white fish
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wow! 50 cals for breakfast? I am pretty sure my stomach would consume itself waiting for lunch :)
    My favorite breakfast:

Omlette
    Egg Whites of 3 eggs
    1/4c Reduced fat cheddar
    1 Spinach Feta Chicken Sausage (Applegate Farms - from Sams)
    olive oil spray

275 cals 6g carbs 13g fat 0g sugar 35g protein 7g SatFat

**if you take out the cheese, you save 80cals but lose 7g of protein.

I get 1/3 of my daily recommended protein. This easily keeps me full for 3-4 hours.

Other comment-ers have mentioned greek yogurt. I second this (or third it, or fourth it, or whatever...)
    My favorite way to eat greek yogurt is to get the plain yogurt (no added sugar) and then add a drop of vanilla extract and a splenda and a few chopped strawberries or a half of a banana chopped.

Just the greek yogurt has the following nutritional info: per cup.
    133cals 9g carbs 0g fat 9g sugar 24g protein 0g sat fat

Good luck OP!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Protein Hot Chocolate. 15 g of protein, 80 calories, 8-12 oz of fluid

I like this brand the best:

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=53

It also comes in different flavors and made with Splenda instead of Aspartame.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should clarify my 50 calories - These are mostly breakfast calories, just enough to take my vitamins with. I like to use the least amount of calories at breakfast...save em for later attitude.

I see what you mean about saving your calories for later, but you should eat more in the morning! A great breakfast has protein and fiber to keep you fuller longer. Two eggs scrambled with broccoli and a little cheese (low-fat if you must) fits the bill. Or, a good cereal is quick and easy:
    Kashi GOLean, 1 Cup = 140 Cal, 10 g Fiber, 13 g Protein (we all need more fiber!)
    1% lowfat milk, 1 Cup = 110 Cal, 8 g Protein
    Total grams of Protein = 21 grams!

The point is, eat good healthy foods and the calories are good for you and your body will appreciate it and run well! What is your total calorie goal for the day? If it's say 1400, you can eat 300 at breakfast and still have plenty left for lunch and dinner. It's about making healthy choices for everything you consume to make those calories count and not be empty calories.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow! 50 cals for breakfast? I am pretty sure my stomach would consume itself waiting for lunch :)
    My favorite breakfast:

Omlette
    Egg Whites of 3 eggs
    1/4c Reduced fat cheddar
    1 Spinach Feta Chicken Sausage (Applegate Farms - from Sams)
    olive oil spray

275 cals 6g carbs 13g fat 0g sugar 35g protein 7g SatFat

**if you take out the cheese, you save 80cals but lose 7g of protein.

I get 1/3 of my daily recommended protein. This easily keeps me full for 3-4 hours.

Other comment-ers have mentioned greek yogurt. I second this (or third it, or fourth it, or whatever...)
    My favorite way to eat greek yogurt is to get the plain yogurt (no added sugar) and then add a drop of vanilla extract and a splenda and a few chopped strawberries or a half of a banana chopped.

Just the greek yogurt has the following nutritional info: per cup.
    133cals 9g carbs 0g fat 9g sugar 24g protein 0g sat fat

Good luck OP!

This is all good stuff too! Adding berries and natural sweetener to plain Greek yogurt is a great idea! :smile:
  • kel7298
    Options
    Do these sound right?

1/2 can water packed tuna - 50 calories - 12 grams protein
    1/2 cup egg whites - 50 calories - 10 grams protein
    3 slices oven roasted chicken breast - 50 calories - 10 grams protein
    1 jack links beef steak - 60 calories - 12 grams protein
    1/2 scoop Designer Whey - 50 calories - 9 grams protein
    1/4 cup FF greek yogurt - 35 calories - 6 grams protein
    1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese - 45 calories - 6 grams protein

Not really sure I can swallow tuna first thing in the morning :huh:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    What is your reasoning behind all of this? Are you not losing weight? Are you not eating breakfast and wanting to start?