Accents

Options

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a Louisiana drawl, but it's subtle and only comes out when I''m frustrated, excited or drinking =)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    This is too funny, I was just thinking about this less than an hour ago. I don't have an accent but when I get around my family in Northern Minnesota I pick up theirs very quickly and than it takes me weeks to get rid of!

I just got back from MN and as my co-workers will tell me "My MN is coming out"
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    I have a Jersey Accent...don't believe it's always there but I do know when it comes out....Others have told me they hear it the whole time...
  • sinobaako82
    sinobaako82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am Asian and my husband is from NJ. We went to Georgia one time and they all knew he was from NJ. They thought he had an accent (I really don't know what the NJ accent is) and I didn't, which was really weird to me. I just know they don't have proper grammar. LOL. Instead of saying "she doesn't" they say "she don't" or "I says" instead of "I said".
  • tnvolsfan74
    tnvolsfan74 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    <
    is an East TN girl......I have the same, thick accent. Several of my friends are from Michigan, Maryland, and PA, and they get a kick out me, but it is just a part of who I am! :flowerforyou: Though, sometimes people want to deduct IQ points when they hear you speak, but it's all good.

LOL Yup. East TN is a really distinct accent. I remember going to Spain last year, and the Spaniards got a serious kick out of me speaking Castilian with a southern drawl. I know when people from Knoxville call me because the accent is so distinct.

It is quite distinctive. I live in the Nashville area now and the southern folks around here sound nothing like East TN people...LOL!
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have remnants of my mom's Cuban accent.
  • daisydog101
    daisydog101 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty standard Australian accent :)

Although ours doesnt have as much of variety as you guys in the states
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love American accents!

I'm from England. I say "bin" instead of been, and "sin" instead of "seen."

I also speak super fast :)

I wonder if anyone could translate:

Questin: Yow alroight? How av ya bin keepin ah kid?
    Answer: I aye bin well. Me back as bin playin up bad like.

That's how some folk speak around here. Lol
  • craig1970
    craig1970 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a London, England accent.

Think Patrick Stewart but cockney...pmsl
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ordinary English accent. I fight against my Essex accent. I don't always win, but I don't sound too bad!
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I don't feel like I have any sort of accent, but I'm assuming I do to other people. I'm from South Jersey but I can tell I have no Philly influence in the way I speak. I would love to have an Irish or Russian accent.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Not usually. When I get overly excited or tired it goes English. (Fathers side)
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    There is a man who comes to the clinic where I work who is from Austria.
    His voice is heavenly! It sounds like Sexy sex sex...makes us all melt listening to him.....he is super friendly and talks alot so that makes it all the more better when he has an appt. :heart: :blushing: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    After a few drinks I sound like I have a southern drawl.....lol
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    halfway thru high school we moved from northern Illinois to Memphis, Tennessee. The girls used to tell me "you have the cutest nawthern accent!"

I just thought I sounded 'normal' like most everyone on tv and in the movies.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I never really think I have an accent but whenever I meet new people they tell me that I have a New York accent. Whenever I spend a long amount of time with my relatives from the south I kind of start talking like a southerner.
    But speaking of accents.. Australian accents are so awesome!
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm from Western Canada...I don't think I have much of an accent, but anyone from the States who hears me talk says I have one for sure (although it's not the same as how Canadians sound from Newfoundland or Nova Scotia...I do not say "a-boot" when I'm saying "about".
    My ex fiancee is originally from Denmark, and I'd get him to say "ball" and "bowl" and then I'd laugh because they sound the same. Also "bugs" and "box" sounded the same. HA HA HA HA!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I have a London, England accent.

Think Patrick Stewart but cockney...pmsl

Wait do you have an English accent because your from there or because your trying to impress the ladies ;)
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I dont have an accent but oh man those irish accents.....*drool* I'd probably marry someone for their accent as long as they agreed to talk to me every day :)
    I'm from the Midwest....I have no accent! ;)

Yes you do. If you speak, you have an accent. It may be the "standard" accent, but it's still an accent.
    absolutely everyone has an accent. (^if you speak anything!)
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm from Western Canada...I don't think I have much of an accent, but anyone from the States who hears me talk says I have one for sure (although it's not the same as how Canadians sound from Newfoundland or Nova Scotia...I do not say "a-boot" when I'm saying "about".
    My ex fiancee is originally from Denmark, and I'd get him to say "ball" and "bowl" and then I'd laugh because they sound the same. Also "bugs" and "box" sounded the same. HA HA HA HA!
    anyone who speaks anything has an accent.