weight loss and negative effects on appearance

Options
Lots of us have heard it...."u are getting too skinny"....do people say this too us b/c we truly look BETTER with some extra meat?? I am 5'6" 122...so certainly not too thin.

sometimes I struggle with the negative physical affects of weight loss. I have three kids and my skin on my stomach looks much better with extra weight on me....when I get thin it just hangs...

Also my face starts appearing super thin/long....when I look at pics of me heavier I like the roundness of my face..but not my body...

In general my skin is paper thin and I just feel a little "aged" when im thin.

Does anyone else have these issues...any advice or words of wisdom?

Im feeling GREAT about my body but really unconfident about everything else.

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I lift so I doubt I'd get that "too skinny" look. Too skinny to me is the look that some people with eating disorders get when they flat out don't eat. Looking at your pics, you are far from it.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    2x post
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I haven't really got to a point of being really skinny but I already have quite a hangy stomach from having three children and one thing I really hate is since I was young I've always had a big face and I have like a ribbed effect under my chin and its horrible. I wouldn't Chang it for the world as I love fitting nice clothes ect
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You look great in your userpic, but if you aren't happy your a less rounded face, it might just be time for a cute new haircut. :-) A good stylist can help you choose a cut that complements the slimmer you perfectly.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Jenna you're looking great and have nothing to be worried about. That being said I know we all struggle with body image issues. My advice is to try being comfortable in your own body and to appreciate your beauty. Be kind to yourself, you deserve it!
  • lenny776
    Options
    Most people say that because they are jealous of how great you look!
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    Most people say that because they are jealous of how great you look!

AYYYYYYYMEN TO THAT! You look like what I am striving to look like! :drinker:
  • BrittanyAlexisN
    Options
    I know what you are describing. I am a petite woman myself but I have a goal in mind and it seems the closer I get to my goal the more I hear people asking "how much longer are you going to exercise" "don't you think you've done enough?" Really? I just don't think people are used to seeing too many people take their health seriously to exercise regularly... I know I am small and don't need to lose any weight, but I would love to be more toned and have more muscle but I don't think I need to explain that to anyone but myself and my doctor (if he asked, lol). As for others, I think I'm going to try and focus on my own goals instead of what others think I should do.
  • Lorijo50
    Options
    I think its your hair making your face look thin, the face sides are hidden behind your hair. Try putting your hair behind your ears and take a photo and look. I think you look super though.
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! My stock skin is getting looser and hanging more. And I can see the lines in my face more ;-(. I also have a goal in mind and others tell me that I don't need to lose any more. I'm really trying to build up muscle and make my body sculpted (not easy). I also just figured out that I probably separated my lower abdominal muscles with pregnancy and I'm going to try and work on that. I guess we all take the good and take the bad!!!
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't like negetive people. I work with a whole bunch of them. They hate the fact that I've lost weight. They are always telling me that I need to stop what I'm doing and gain some weight back. I'm 5 4 I weigh 122 pounds. I'm not skinny. I'm healthy! Ya I have a lot of saggy skin on my belly but I've had 2 babies. I can live with that. My employers actally bring in junk food into work and tell me you no you can eat! I hate that! I just kill them with kindness. I no that they are just jealous. Inside it stresses me out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No one has said anything to me, but I see it in myself.

From the shoulders down, I love how I look and sometimes see areas that I'd like to shrink a bit more. From the neck up, I think I'm starting to look a little too thin. I've stopped losing weight, actually gained back about 5#, and I'm eating at maintenance, but I'm still getting smaller.

I was looking at pictures from Xmas three years ago, when I weighed about 10-15# more, and thought I looked prettier. I look better than I did last Xmas when I weighed 30# more, and I think my body looks better than it ever has.
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm much bigger than you, but I get it too...When I get down to about 170 I get the comments that I look too skinny for my body....I mean really? Drives me nuts, but if I feel good and I feel I look good - bite me!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Most people say I look really good, but I can see that my wrinkles are far more prominent, even if no one else has commented on them.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel the same about my face and well, really my upper body when I'm at my lowest weight. I feel like my hands look ancient and veiny, more wrinkles on my face, I don't like the way my breast bone looks. But even with all this my thighs and lower body are still fat. This time I'm trying to combat this by focusing more on lifting and even going through a "bulking" cycle this winter. I'm going to try to cut again this spring and if I get back down to a weight where I don't like some things I'll reassess where I want to be. Maybe it's worth it have chubby thighs in order to be happy with my chest, face and hands. I think it is all about balance.
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I still weigh over 200lbs so I've got lots still to lose yet I've had people at work say that if I lose anymore I'll disappear! How stupid, I'm still classed as obese so how on earth am I going to 'disappear'!

Even now I have lots of saggy, wrinkly bits on my body which I don't like but I know I'd rather have them and be healthier, less tired and able to do more then be bigger and not have them. They can be hidden with clothes. I'm also taking it slowly and trying to do plenty of body shaping exercise which will hopefully help some of the sagging.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think you are beautiful and perfect just the way you are. People are jealous.

I have a long face and different hair styles effect how "thin" it looks. Play with your hair a little if the "long" appearance bothers you. I think you're pretty and have nothing to worry about but I do understand that we are our own worst critics :(.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    <---- This is the most recent picture taken of me. I really do feel as if my face is less pretty without the fat. I've been overweight with a full face all my adult life, so maybe it's just the shock of seeing my face without the fat. It seems as if flaws I didn't know I had are coming out.
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the responses...I know I would rather have my body look the way it does now, it is just frustrating to feel like the better my body looks the worese everything else looks.

What triggered me to write this is an episode of atlanta housewives, one of cynthias male freinds lost alot of weight and I even though...oh he looked better/more youthful before! It made me realize that when people tell me I am too thin, they are probably just saying, wow you look older now! LOL!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I lift so I doubt I'd get that "too skinny" look. Too skinny to me is the look that some people with eating disorders get when they flat out don't eat. Looking at your pics, you are far from it.

Fill out that saggy skin with muscle. Ladies, you need to lift weights