Do you use a food scale?

Options

Replies

• Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do use my food scale quite a bit. I really needed to learn about appropriate portion sizes, especially for things like pasta. Plus, I lost the scooper that came with my coffee maker, and the only way I can figure out how to make coffee now is to weigh it!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am not that bothered about over or underestimating. I lost the weight, so it clearly worked.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Not me. Seems kinda OCD to me. I just eat small portions.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't. I guess, and have had no problems losing all the weight I wanted to and more that way. I can't be bothered weighing everything, that's too control-freaky for the way I live.
    Congrats to you for losing without having to weigh....some people are not that good at judging and there is nothing wrong with using a scale, I use mine for my fruits, meats and cheese's....if you need a scale by all means please use one and eventually you may be able to eyeball the servings.......good luck and enjoy the scale
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything!!! The only way you will know what you are actually eating/drinking is to measure it out. I even weigh my protein powder since it's more accurate than the scooper.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I weighed the hand cut bread slices I ate at lunch (hence 1.08 100g servings!). I use my digital scales heaps.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    some people need that kinda ocd to go on. me specifically. I defnitly second the protein powder scooper inaccuracy. by a TON. If just eating smaller portions worked for everyone, that would be awesome. It dosen't tho. NOt for me at least. So, I lost 80 lbs using my scale. And I'm kind of a number junkie. I love to know my pace, my distance, my calories burned, i LOVE data.

Wow, I'm a nerd.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I use it when I'm not sure of a serving size. For example I had ham with my lunch, had no idea how much 3oz of ham is so I took out the scale. If it's something I can count out or measure in a cup then I don't weigh it, but I've found it helpful so far.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I got one a couple of weeks ago too. I just use it to check my guesstimates now and then. Seems I was being really scroogey with the cheese portions.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Yes i use my food scale and i weigh everything. Guessing sucks, once you weigh food, you notice that you either overestimated or the opposite. Much better to measure everything.
    I am not going for average, I am going for shredded, and the only way is to be precise.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use my scale to portion out bulk foods into serving sizes. For example, I'll buy a big tub of Goldfish, pretzels or animal crackers (for the kids, I swear!) and then break it down into serving size portions in snack size baggies. It makes packing the kids' lunches a breeze in the morning and prevents me from having more than I should if I want a salty snack.

I also break out the scale to measure everything when I don't lose after a few weeks. Usually I need a reminder of what a proper portion size should be.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have a scale and I use it for oatmeal, or nuts. I usually use my palm, I use a very small plate.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just got one and I use it on meats and cheese!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Personally I weigh everything otherwise I tend to cheat myself into thinking I've eaten less than I actually have. I find it a useful habit to get into with weightloss.

^This is what I use mine for too!^
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    a food scale is the single most important tool that a person can use to combat weight loss. measuring spoons/cups are a close second.

using these things to weigh out and measure your portions can aid you, especially if you were like me, and had problems with portion control.

most are under $30, and i tell people all the time to get them before they get a heart rate monitor.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yep. I need to or I feel guilty. haha
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wish I could! I can't use one at home--my mother would freak out--and you can't really weigh things in a dining hall. Once I'm living on my own and doing my own cooking, I just might.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I weigh just about everything...I love my food scale and use it daily!
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    At first i did not use it but when I started trying to log foods that were in OZ I was having to guess. One day I guessed then weighed the portion and I was way off and I have used it for everything ever since. The actual weight was double my guess!!!! If the serving size listed on something is not a portion of a cup or tablespoons etc then I use it.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use it for dry pasta so I can cook just what I need. I also use it for sweets like candy, chocolate, cookies, etc. The mass measurement for the serving is more accurate than the volume measurement. I weigh ice cream too since it's a pain to put into a measuring cup. I don't weigh fruit or veggies. But any high calorie items, you betcha.