Question for runners...

Options
13»

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Start signing up for races!!
    bump! just finished my c25k training... need info to get better at it...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    During your your run, which mile feels like the longest? The first or the last one? For me it varies but it is usually the first one.

The uphill one. And if it's an out-and-back, then point where I have to turn around... it always throws off my rhythm.

May I ask you runners another question?

How long did it take you to consider yourself runners? Did you start out hating it? If so, at what point did you stop hating it?

When I started to feel like I was getting reasonably decent at it. That's subjective, I know, but it's kind of inherent to your question. Once I got so I could sustain a 9-min mile I started thinking of myself as a runner.
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Most definately the first 10-20 mins. I have this huge mental game that goes on in my head everytime I step outside. "I don't want to do this, I don't want to do this"... Then I get going, feel like Frankenstein trying to run at first, then, finally it all relaxes and I can just go. Then phase 2 of my stupid mind game about half way. If I stop for ANY reason before I get my desired miles in, I will be stopping a half a dozen times more! I don't stop and I can go the distance. I have to do a mantra, "just keep running, just keep going, don't stop, you can and are breathing fine".
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    At the minute it's the last mile as have not been running long and trying to increase each time. A few years ago when I could run 6 miles, the first 10 mins were harder then I could just keep going. Am looking forward to getting back to that point!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The first mile is difficult, by the 3rd mile I feel like I can run forever, and it starts to get difficult again around mile 7 or 8.

I felt like a runner the first time I ran in bad weather because, well... it was a run day and that's what I do. I don't mind a little rain so long as no thunderstorms are in the area.

That's about like me. 1st mile hard. Second to 8th ok. 9th is HARD. My longest run so far is about 9 or 10 miles, as I don't really ever get more than 90 mins child free (and rarely that, usually 60 mins), so can't comment on further than that.
  • Chrissynysc
    Chrissynysc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It depends...I like interval training, so at the end I may do a big sprint---THAT'S the hardest. If I'm focusing on distance, the first mile does seem like the longest.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options

How long did it take you to consider yourself runners? Did you start out hating it? If so, at what point did you stop hating it?

I hated it for a long time, I kept doing it to become healthier and I developed a passion for it! =) So worth it!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I seas a runner the moment I saw a sunny day and thought it was perfect for a run. Or the day my kids asked to run with me. Or the day someone told me they saw me running. Guess it was the day I put shoe on and dedicated to wanting to be a runner. I never hated it. I wanted it too badly to have an attitude of anything but success.

I read somewhere they'd should smile when you run as it will just make you feel happier and make everyone around you think you are having the time of your life. In my small town people tease me all the time about. Y smile when I run and the fact I wave at drivers that move over for me.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    The hardest step for me is the one out the door.