I want to be a Runner!

Options
I know that I am out of shape, and weigh a lot, but I want to be a runner. It is going to take me a long time to get started but I want to inspire myself and my 9 yr. old daughter to be healthy. We live in the country so we can run with little traffic. I need help starting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Hopingforchange
    Options
    Look into the Couch to 5K program. It adds small amounts of running to a walking program. In 9 weeks you will be able to run a full 5K (3.1 miles). I did it, and it does work!
  • ek724q
    ek724q Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I was doing the c25k and loved it. The app is great
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Definitely Couch 2 5K! You can either download podcasts or you can download an app if you have a iPhone or Android. Good luck!
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I want to do the same thing is there a certain app that I should lok for? I saw the NHS one but is there another? (The NHS womes voice was too boring and the music drab) We just moved to the country and I want to take advantage of this! Good Luck!!
  • ek724q
    ek724q Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    good luck to you 2. I am trying to down load podcast.
  • PurelyTheRealMe
    Options
    I want to do the same thing is there a certain app that I should lok for? I saw the NHS one but is there another? (The NHS womes voice was too boring and the music drab) We just moved to the country and I want to take advantage of this! Good Luck!!

Try Couch-to-5k by The Active Network. This app can sync with the playlist on your phone and you can choose from 3 voices.
  • pthomp2268
    Options
    You can do it! Gradually building is the way to go. I'm nowhere close to being a runner, but when I first started, I couldn't even do a lap around the track - last week I was able to do 1.5 miles without stopping. I couldn't believe it. I think what allowed me to do it was gradual work, like I said (alternating jogging with walking), and losing some weight (so it requires less effort to move my body around). Good luck - you've got this!
  • pirate4hire
    Options
    Another vote here for the Couch to 5k program. I started it at the beginning of December but took a hiatus due to moving. Restarting next week but this time without a treadmill. We'll see how that changes things!
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I used to run in high school and when I got overweight I decided I wanted to run again... I found the best way to get started is to get up... I set mini goals. I started by walking... Then I would try to run for 2 minutes straight... Then walk for 5-10 min... The stronger I got the shorter rest time I gave myself and the longer run... So 5 minutes of straight running with 2 minutes resting... Within 3 months I was running 8-10 miles in about an hour and twenty minutes. I have heard great things about C25k. good luck!!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I know that I am out of shape, and weigh a lot, but I want to be a runner. It is going to take me a long time to get started but I want to inspire myself and my 9 yr. old daughter to be healthy. We live in the country so we can run with little traffic. I need help starting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just get out and do it. Go as far as you can each day w/ out stopping. Then increase each time.

if i can do it you can do it.
    i just ran 5 miles tonight.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I recently (beginning of December) finished C25K and am now beginning the 3rd week of the Bridge to 10K program. I can run 5 miles in around 56 minutes right now, and when I started C25K I struggled to run 3 minutes without stopping. You and do it!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Exactly, just do it. that's what i did! just started with what i could do, 15-20 seconds at a time, walk until you catch your breath (don't let your heart slow down TOO much - just wait until it's not pounding TOO hard anymore) and then run again. you'll do great.
  • dpvike80
    dpvike80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Invest in some good running shoes. I would suggest going to a store that sells exclusively or primarily to runners and get custom fitted. You will likely spend around a hundred dollars or more (mine were 139). A good pair of shoes is worth every penny.

Good luck!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I started jogging during commercials last summer then started jogging a little on my dog walks, adding a little more all the time. I am up to 2 miles a day, 5 days a week up and down hills. I am slow! But I am doing it. I plan to do 5k this spring and 10k this coming fall.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner :( (I have an old knee injury that prohibits me from running)

I would try the Couch to 5k - that sounds amazing.

I wasn't much into sports or anything but before I went to boot camp, I had 3 months to get in shape & running seriously helped me out. I couldn't even run 1/8th of a mile when I started. I gradually worked my way up. If you have a track to run on, you can run on the straight part of the track then walk on the bends of the track. I did this every few days, to every couple days to everyday. Before I knew it, I was running 6 miles a day. Run to Cadence tracks helped me keep going on my run. Each time you run push yourself a little further. You'll know when you become comfortable it's time to push.

When you're to the point where you don't have to walk in the middle of running, give yourself periods of long strides, then resume to a normal run, I did the strides on a the straight part of the track, then a normal jog at the bends of the track.

Every night draw your ABC's with one foot, , then the other - do uppercase lower case. Do lots of different stretching exercises before your warm ups & after your cool downs. This will prevent injuries. Make sure you eat raw foods that have lots of potassium to prevent muscle cramps. Stay well hydrated. These tips are dated from about 2000, I'm sure there are newer techniques out there now.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I know this is repetitive, but... Couch to 5K. :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great, so is Jeff Galloway's walk/run method. Note that you can "repeat" weeks if you need more practice, there's no law saying you have to complete the program in 9 weeks. I did a variation of C25k and it took me more like 13 weeks to run a full 30 minutes without stopping...but since then I've completed a half marathon :happy:

Also make sure you've got good running shoes-if possible, go to a running specialty store and get fitted for the right shoes.

Stretch after you run, especially your shins--you can google all sorts of good stretches on Youtube.

Do a brisk walk as your "warm up."

Have fun!
  • ryan92408
    Options
    you ARE a runner . . . keep saying it, even if you are running a few steps . . . your mind is very powerful, especially when it comes to running.