RED MEAT?

Options

Replies

• Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Only when I can afford it...which is like, never! Lol. Forget grass-fed! Although it would be nice :-(
  • jenocelot
    Options
    I have not eaten meat of any kind for 25 years. Look up how the animals are treated in factory 'farms'...look up health reasons...look up pollution of our planet... I am fit, healthy (run marathons), and nearing fifty many people assume I'm much younger, largely due to my diet. Not to start arguments, just, so you might open your eyes and ears to what the meat industries are doing.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a week. While I don't want to give it up entirely, I also don't want to go overboard.
  • tinamarie204
    Options
    3-4 times a week...get lean cuts and avoid pan frying and heavy sauces.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    None.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Never. :-) No animal protein of any kind, actually, but red meat would be last on the list if I did. I don't preach it, but I will share that I am 54 years old, 5'7", 115 lean and healthy pounds and never gain, no matter how I pig out on my whole foods, plant-based diet. Exercise every day - most days a 3-4 mile walk included - sleep great, have more energy than I know what to do with, and have a joy and lightness of spirit in my life that I never had when I ate animals. :-) Don't get me wrong, I did at one time enjoy the taste, and so I know what you mean. But like any other unhealthy habit, the craving DOES go away in time. I loved cigarettes at one time of my life, too, but gave those up over a decade ago. Sometimes we want things that are not best for our health.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I find that since I started with the weights, I crave it more! Chicken and fish just won't do it for me...steak, hamburger and, of course, BACON!:heart: Nothing unhealthy about that!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten meat of any kind for 25 years. Look up how the animals are treated in factory 'farms'...look up health reasons...look up pollution of our planet... I am fit, healthy (run marathons), and nearing fifty many people assume I'm much younger, largely due to my diet. Not to start arguments, just, so you might open your eyes and ears to what the meat industries are doing.

To each his/her own. I used to be vegan....now i happily eat meat. It's funny how so many discussions about meat get turned into a lifestyle discussion. I'm very glad being a vegetarian is working so well for you!!! :)

I know plenty of meat eaters that are ridiculously healthy and look younger than their age :) A large part of that is due to genetics :flowerforyou: I also know many vegetarians and vegans that look like they've been ran over with a bus because they don't know how to eat a balanced meal.

Vegetarian and Vegan diets are wonderful, but not for everyone. Not to start arguments, but people need to make their own well-informed decisions, regardless of where that decision leads them.

To the OP : We eat red meat probably 3-4 times a week, lean cuts. We also eat a lot of wild game (trukey and venison mostly) that we harvest.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    We eat red meat about once a week, raised on my parent's "hobby farm". Eating it any more than that tends to leave us feeling sluggish and bloated. Also, when we do eat it, we keep it to about 3-4 oz servings per person and ensure there are plenty of veggies on the side. That reduces cost and prevents some of the not-so-pleasant feelings afterwards.
  • thunderlight7
    Options
    Thats Funny. Lol.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Since I started upping my veggies to enormous proportions I feel so much better! I still love red meat but rarely eat it. When I do, I try to keep it to 2 oz portions (for weight loss still) and it just stops up the works almost immediately! I eat it mainly because I give it to my husband maybe twice a month. I mainly cook chicken, fish, and shrimp for him.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I eat it every week or so, when I can afford it. I buy very lean sirloin steak and trim all the fat off. No chop meat.
  • Sardine239
    Sardine239 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I live on a farm where we raise our own beef and at the moment we have a side and a half of beef in our freezers, so we eat it almost every day. Since we raise it ourselves, it's cheaper then other meat options and since it's farm raised, I "trust" it more then the stuff sold in stores...I can't even eat store beef--nasty!
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I eat a serving of red meat about once or twice a week. Most of my protein comes from chicken or turkey.

I'm not particularly picky about the meat that I eat, so there's no specific "cut" that I go for. I like stews and soups that have red meat in them, but I rarely sit down and have a slab of it.

During my period I usually satisfy my iron deficiency with a giant Five Guys burger. So, I have a burger once a month.

Also, if people are going to moralize about it, I'd suggest eating more cow and less chicken. Birds fare far worse in large factory situations than mammals do, because mammals actually require more upkeep so that the meat doesn't become inedible. Which means they're treated far better than chickens.

Truth.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Never. :laugh:
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    red meat makes me sick, so like once a month whenever i feel like being mean to my body
  • thejam0
    thejam0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pork at all, and beef only once every 3 to 6 months. I don't like how it makes me feel either, it just makes me very irritable, impatient and angry for some reason.
    I get that way when I don't eat red meat.

HA! me too :)
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week. I go for lean cuts and watch portion size.
  • b757
    b757 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are working out and craving it, it is because you need some protein. Protein helps repair your muscles. Dig in, in moderation. It's not going to kill you. Once or twice a week should be fine, if you are eating moderate portions. Once a day for red meat is probably too much though.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost daily. Hard to believe I was a vegetarian for more than five years! I crave both red meat and milk now that I'm working out. Someone in another thread mentioned that calcium and protein get used up during exercise, so I thought maybe that was why.