How do you keep from getting sick?

Options

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Washing hands and enough sleep, as so many have mentioned. But also, especially since you're a teacher and you can't just go off to the bathroom whenever - I am not a fan of antibacterial junk so until you can get to a bathroom, be conscious of not touching your face. That's usually what happens - germs get picked up on your hands, then you rub your eyes or your nose and spread the germs.

If you feel something coming on, this is what my roommate and I do and it almost always works:
    Take a product called Kick *kitten* Immune (can be found at Whole Foods and other natural food stores)
    Add some true elderberry syrup
    Drink Celestial Seasoning's Red Zinger tea (can't remember the herb that's in there right now, but it's king of like vitamin C); for an added boost add some Slippery Elm and Licorice tincture to the tea.

Seriously, we do this every time and as long as we do it as soon as we feel something, it kicks it out, if it's not as soon as it just shortens it.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I will make sure to follow them!

I did have another suggestion of more vitamin D, so I plan to pick some up at the store.

Does anyone think maybe I'm taking too many supplements? That was also suggested.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think maybe I'm taking too many supplements? That was also suggested.

Yes. If you eat a normally healthy and varied diet all the additional daily supplements you're taking shouldn't really be necessary.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    VITAMIN D!!!!! It is the ultimate cold/flu buster, even moreso than vitamin C.
    Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. I take vitamin D for other reasons but this is interesting.
  • medwards89
    medwards89 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My microbiology class did an experiment on hand washing. Soap and water is great for dirt or whatever you may have on your skin, but to remove germs and microbes, you need to use hand sanitizer, regardless of the type of soap you use!

Otherwise it seems like you do everything you can to support your immune system.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    VITAMIN D!!!!! It is the ultimate cold/flu buster, even moreso than vitamin C.
    Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. I take vitamin D for other reasons but this is interesting.

Well, I suppose it's not a "buster," but it's really a much better preventative measure than C. There's a lot of research on it. Here's just one example: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/managing-your-healthcare/infectious-diseases/articles/2009/02/23/too-little-vitamin-d-may-mean-more-colds-and-flu
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    Hand washing and lots of sleep. If I start to feel that sick feeling, I take Airborne, which really seems to help nip it in the bud.
  • gloriann1
    gloriann1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking Yerba Mate for 5 years, nearly every morning, and I have not been majorly sick ever since! I used to get really bad sore throats and stuffy noses. You may have heard it touted as a weight loss product recently, but I have not seen that side effect (sadly.) That said, having a strong immune system has really been worth it (and it is my favorite tea.) I drink it with a gourd and bombilla (the old fashioned way,) it's a nice little calming routine.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Getting enough sleep-can't stress it enough!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Vitamins, eat veggies (which you already do!), and sanitize ALL the time!

I work in a kindergarten class and I have not been sick since last year. (knock on wood lol) :laugh:
    Before changing my eating habits I got sick every other month, no joke.

If you feel like you're getting sick, gargle with warm salt water. Nip it in the bud before it gets bad! This has always worked for me.

:flowerforyou:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If it's not been mentioned before, make sure you get a good air filter for your home. A lot of bugs and allergens get caught up in there so make sure you are cleaning it out monthly. Also, forget all the homeopathic stuff. None of it is proven to work, so just eat well, keep your home clean (sanitize countertops, doorknobs, remote controls, any surface you touch regularly, and wash your hands regularly).

Also, try to keep your stress level under control. I only get sick when I'm stressed out badly, then I get very sick.
  • angkev2560
    Options
    I also work at a high school and I found I was always getting sick. I'd be just getting over a cold and I would come down with strep throat or a flu or something equally annoying, and it would always set me back on working out and weight loss! Ever since I started taking the daily Cold FX, I can feel that I might be coming down with something, but it never progresses beyond that. For example, because I work for the school board, I get two weeks off at Christmas, and the minute school let out for xmas break, I felt like I was coming down with something. But because I was taking my cold FX, it didn't progress and I managed to work out every day before xmas:) oh and lots of water and a good nights sleep, and hand washing are also key!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Eat right and wash your hands.

Please, for the love of God, DON'T USE ANTI BACTERIALS! I'd rather get sick with something my body can handle than try to deal with the superbugs we are creating with all this anti-bacterial garbage!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    double post
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    You're in a tough environment, but my strategy, which seems to have worked is this:

1. Keep fit and healthy
    2. Wash my hands regularly
    3. Avoid touching my nose and eyes when I'm not at home, ie when I'm in an environment where there are other people's viruses on the hard surfaces.

The last one is the very hardest one to do, but it does make a huge difference in preventing the spread of viruses.

Depending on the age of the kids in your class you can try teaching them to sneeze into the crook of their elbow - sneezing into their hand is just asking for them to transfer their viruses onto hard surfaces in the classroom, whereas viruses last far less time if they're on soft materials such as clothing.
  • ziggle_7
    ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    hand washing is important but even when you wash for the suggested amount of time your are actually only riding yourself of about 20% of the bacteria. Try keeping hand sanitizer around and using it. Also keep your everyday surfaces clean. keep eating lots of fruits and veggies (berries are great for the immune system too!). Maybe try some yummy herbal teas =)
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    avoid human contact :drinker:
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    DRINK WATER. When you think you've drank enough, drink another bottle. Anything with caffeine make up for it with twice as much water. I'm a nurse practitioner working in Urgent Care and all I see are colds all day long...they're ALL dehydrated. Also, once you start feeling ill, take decongestants to dry up drainage--most start viral but turn bacterial, so dry that snot up and don't give bacteria a chance to get in there and set up shop. And WASH YOUR HANDS.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hand washing and lots of sleep. If I start to feel that sick feeling, I take Airborne, which really seems to help nip it in the bud.
    This is my suggestion also. In addition to this when I'm feeling run down, I take a few days to rest. I know it's ok to exercise when you have a cold, but for me I kick it much quicker if I take a few down days.