How much did you gain during the holidays and WHY?

Options
If you've gained weight over this month, I challenge you to say what you were--what you are now and take a moment to really break down WHY. (Friend me! I'm looking for more friends on here. I love to be supportive)

I was at 171 (down from 182-185) and within 4 weeks of moving to a new state (Small Town with only a few restaurants to being between Dallas and Fort Worth with a billion food options less then 5 minutes away) and Christmas and I have weighed consistently 179 in the mornings for the past 3 days. I can really feel it in my gut and my bum.

WHY?

Stopped going to the Gym when we moved - I was going pretty good 2-3 times a week, burning 300-600 calories and doing a bit of weights from time to time. We moved and while I have a FREE Gym here that looks great (And is only a few minute walk away) I haven't gone a single time! I don't have a job. I sit at home and clean/do dishes/fix food on the rare occasions that we eat in and when we do eat in he only wants Chicken Penini from a frozen bag or Hamburger Helper.

Baskin Robbins - I've had at least 5 Banana Royals (two scoops of Ice Cream Eatch) and 3 Quarts of Ice-Cream from there since we moved. I haven't had Baskin Robbins in 10 years so I clearly have gone overboard. I'm not the type to buy cookies and ice-cream and just sit and eat it but I have been.

Eatting Out - We've had in 4 weeks eattin at Pei Wei's 8 times (Mongolian Beef, Fried Rice, and Wonton Soup), Italian (Pasta/Bread/Pizza) 10-15 times. We have eatten out 5 out of 7 days of the week for Dinner, and often times for lunch as well.

Holidays - I've probably had 4-5 Pounds of Cookies/Sweets and 10-20 Beers/Margaritas/Glasses of Wine.

--- I had over 4 months lost 12 or so pounds, from an average of 182 to 171.

Yesterday I bought ground beef and chicken, greek yogert, egg whites, fiber cereal, and lots of fruits. Some usual stuff I eat but I just haven't bothered to get since we already eat out. I started logging my food again after 4-6 weeks of not bothering. I'm going to be 170 again in 2 months then I'm going to be 160 (my first goal) by May DAMN IT!

Replies

• candu129
    candu129 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You made a really good point when you suggested that we look at WHY. Taking a good look at behaviors helps us see where we became complacent, compromised our choices, and (as a consequence) had a "catastrophe" on the scale. The good and bad news is: Neither success nor failure is ever final. I regained a few pounds by being lax on my choices in December. Today I am doing the right stuff and moving forward.:smile:
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Just shy of 3 pounds because I actually ate the foods I wanted for a change. Stuffing, noodles, sugar cookies, cake pops, hot chocolate and candy
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I gained five pounds.

I'm hugely impressed that I didn't gain more with all the emotional eating of sweets that happened over the last two weeks.
  • george_ie_girl
    george_ie_girl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, shame about the recent gain though!

I'm completely in the same boat! Only put on a couple of kgs though. Why? Because I started to get comfortable with my current weight (around 150 lbs), still want to lose another 20 or so. I've been getting compliments and feeling great, and I've been eating and drinking so much! Slowly getting back on track though!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I gained two. I did well with portion control on the actual meals. That wasn't the problem. I had trouble with the social aspects-- my neighborhood cookie exchange, work parties,, and alcohol. Way too much alcohol. I didn't really plan ahead for that type of temptation, the way I did for the actual huge meal, etc.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    Don't hate, but I lost about 3 lbs over the past two weeks. I told myself way back in September when I got back on MFP that this was the WORST time to BEGIN, which only made it the best for me! Halloween candy, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's...they were all coming up soon, and I was not going to just give up and wait until the new year! I was going to keep things under control and sail right through, and if I could do that, all of 2012 would be gravy!

Just get back to it! It's over and done, starting right now! Even if you have some more parties to go to and cookies to bake. Start NOW! :)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have yet to weigh myself.... :embarassed: Too scared!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    About 5 lbs. Because I spent more days shopping and partying than exercising, and I ate and drank all Christmas weekend without a thought to calories. It was awesome!!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    holidays 7ish pounds, was 237 when I weighed last Friday, on Tuesday I weighed 242-244 and today I weigh 239 again. So mostly water weight, but I didn't log, ate fast food while shopping, ate cookies/drank drinks right before bed. blah, back on track though. this month the weekends did me in, I would lose during the week, gain it back on the weekends then lose it again, stupid cycle of weekends. haha
  • missmeg1970
    missmeg1970 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I simply got lazy... I had a cold and got tired, I thought it would be ok and it wasn't I have gained 3lb. I am struggling to get back on track but my lovely hubby sent me an email with two photo's six months apart and I am blown away at the difference. I wish I could figure out how to post them

Tomorrow is a new day, I am feeling better and no one is going to do this for me... its up to me

Thank you for your support MFP
  • samatalma
    Options
    I didn't gain or lose any weight over the holidays. Which is pretty good in my book. I think the worst I had was a piece of cheesecake on Christmas and a couple of cookies on Monday. Pretty good considering there were like a billion cookies and 3 other pies running around!!
  • littlewords
    Options
    I didn't gain any. In fact, between the beginning of November and Christmas, I lost a little over 2 pounds. I celebrated Thanksgiving twice, and ate Thanksgiving leftovers for a week after. I haven't been working out, either - my elliptical stopped working in that time period.

What I HAVE done is exercise self control. Sure, I ate at Thanksgiving. I ate Thanksgiving food the same way I would any meal. I served myself appropriate portions, more vegetables than anything else, and had one small piece of pie for dessert.

I've had two Xmas cookies and one piece of candy.
    A couple of handfuls of caramel corn and less than one piece of cheesecake.

No, I did not track my calories every day - too many of the "Christmas foods" were too complicated to figure out, But I did use common sense.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I gained a total of .2lbs.
    Yes.. That is POINT 2 lbs. Not 2 lbs.
    I think I did amazingly. :D
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    Lost 6!! Why? Cuz I "challenged" myself not to gain and I WON!

I'm sure you'll get back on track and recoup the gained pounds. Good luck to ya!

xoxoxo
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am actually afraid to weigh myself....I know I gained...I actually HAVE to weigh myself for this BL challenge I am doing that ends on 12/31...

This is a blog I wrote Monday night about getting back into a routine after I turned into a cookie monster over Christmas...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/baypathgradLyns/view/nobody-is-perfect-i-certainly-am-not-182470
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I gained .5. This was the first year that I did not overindulge everyday and still enjoyed the Holidays. I had one day that I had 6-7 cookies and that was about it. We will all get back on track!
  • baypathgradLyns
    Options
    I gained a total of .2lbs.
    Yes.. That is POINT 2 lbs. Not 2 lbs.
    I think I did amazingly. :D

wow! that is amazing!!!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.2 lbs in the 4 days I was out of town for the holidays, eating fast food during the drive and eating lots of calorie-laden homemade goodies at family gatherings (to be fair, the fast food was mostly salad, but I did indulge in family gatherings). Why? B/c I worked my butt off in the previous weeks, keeping a calorie deficit so that a few days of indulgence wouldn't completely do me in. I find that if I work my butt off for a few weeks and then take a day or two off, I often lose weight during those days of not being so strict. I *thought* I was going to gain weight this past weekend, or maybe maintain if I was lucky, but I was really pleasantly surprised to come home and find the number lower than it's been in almost 5 years. :-)
  • baypathgradLyns
    Options
    I gained .5. This was the first year that I did not overindulge everyday and still enjoyed the Holidays. I had one day that I had 6-7 cookies and that was about it. We will all get back on track!

wow! 0.5 will go away rather quickly!

I can't say I limited myself to 6-7 cookies :/
  • baypathgradLyns
    Options
    Lost 6!! Why? Cuz I "challenged" myself not to gain and I WON!

I'm sure you'll get back on track and recoup the gained pounds. Good luck to ya!

xoxoxo

Holy moly!!!!! thats incredible!!!