Metabolism Miracle

Options
Has anyone tried this? What are the pros and cons? Needing advice please.

Replies

• anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    i googled 'metabolism miracle' and just read the first 63 pages of the book (i dunno why google book preview didn't cut me off before that, not complaining mind you, lol). interesting! in fact i remember writing in my food diary that if i had cereal for breakfast i ended up seeking out carbs rest of day or if i had pasta for dinner, even though fit into cals/day allowance, i would crave sweets bad a few hours later. i have to admit after reading the 63 pages of that book if an altered insulin response, metabolism B, or whatever ya want to call it, is not the reason why i have not lost weight in the 2 months since starting here, hmmm....
    thank you for posting this, you've given me something to think about.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have not read this particular book, but in working with my dietician I have discovered that I cannot and will not lose weight on any of the traditional so-called "healthy" diets. I am very active and have eaten healthy for years.. still year after year, my weight goes up, my waist gets bigger and my energy goes down. Exercise has no impact at all on my weight, and I've never lost more than a couple of pounds on Weight Watchers, Nutri-system, Quick Weight Loss Center -- even tried Joel Furhman's Eat To Live, Why? We believe it's because when I eat carbs, my body will not burn fat - no matter how much I exercise or how low-fat my diet is, my body will only use carbs for fuel.

It is not fat that makes me fat -- it's carbs that makes me fat. This is not true of everyone, but if you eat a healthy carb - like an apple, and then a couple of hours later you are craving a cookie -- you could also be carb-sensitive, insulin resistant or as the book says Metabolism B.

I am currently on a low-carb, high fat, moderate protein diet. 62% of my calories every day must come from fat, 25% from protein and only 13% from carbs. My carbs are only green vegetables - mostly raw. In 3 weeks, I've lost 4 pounds. More importantly, I've lost 2.5 inches on my waist - 2 inches on my hips and 2 inches on my chest!! I am in a mild state of ketosis, which is *NOT* a bad thing. I will have a blood test in a few weeks and we expect my bad cholesterol to drop and my good cholesterol to increase. I've already noticed a drop in my blood pressure.

Calories in/Calories Out is a myth if you are like me. No matter how few calories I eat or how much I exercise, if I eat certain carbs and volume of carbs, I absolutely will not lose weight. I am currently reading "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It". It's a tough read - lots of research and scientific data - but it explains where the Calories In/Calories Out myth came from - and it explains that prior to WW2 there were German scientists that were well on their way to figuring out that Carbs make us fat, not fat... their research was shunned after the war because they were German and the idea of Calories In/Calories out was born.

We are not fat because we overeat - we overeat because we are fat! I know I will probably get blasted for this, and it is not true of everyone, but if you have dieted and been honest about your calorie intake and exercise, and not lost weight, this might be true of you!! If you have a beer belly -- ask yourself -- how much fat is in beer? NONE!! Beer is all carbs and it makes your belly fat! I rest my case.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have not read this particular book, but in working with my dietician I have discovered that I cannot and will not lose weight on any of the traditional so-called "healthy" diets. I am very active and have eaten healthy for years.. still year after year, my weight goes up, my waist gets bigger and my energy goes down. Exercise has no impact at all on my weight, and I've never lost more than a couple of pounds on Weight Watchers, Nutri-system, Quick Weight Loss Center -- even tried Joel Furhman's Eat To Live, Why? We believe it's because when I eat carbs, my body will not burn fat - no matter how much I exercise or how low-fat my diet is, my body will only use carbs for fuel.

It is not fat that makes me fat -- it's carbs that makes me fat. This is not true of everyone, but if you eat a healthy carb - like an apple, and then a couple of hours later you are craving a cookie -- you could also be carb-sensitive, insulin resistant or as the book says Metabolism B.

I am currently on a low-carb, high fat, moderate protein diet. 62% of my calories every day must come from fat, 25% from protein and only 13% from carbs. My carbs are only green vegetables - mostly raw. In 3 weeks, I've lost 4 pounds. More importantly, I've lost 2.5 inches on my waist - 2 inches on my hips and 2 inches on my chest!! I am in a mild state of ketosis, which is *NOT* a bad thing. I will have a blood test in a few weeks and we expect my bad cholesterol to drop and my good cholesterol to increase. I've already noticed a drop in my blood pressure.

Calories in/Calories Out is a myth if you are like me. No matter how few calories I eat or how much I exercise, if I eat certain carbs and volume of carbs, I absolutely will not lose weight. I am currently reading "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It". It's a tough read - lots of research and scientific data - but it explains where the Calories In/Calories Out myth came from - and it explains that prior to WW2 there were German scientists that were well on their way to figuring out that Carbs make us fat, not fat... their research was shunned after the war because they were German and the idea of Calories In/Calories out was born.

We are not fat because we overeat - we overeat because we are fat! I know I will probably get blasted for this, and it is not true of everyone, but if you have dieted and been honest about your calorie intake and exercise, and not lost weight, this might be true of you!! If you have a beer belly -- ask yourself -- how much fat is in beer? NONE!! Beer is all carbs and it makes your belly fat! I rest my case.

Very interesting. How did you discover this?
  • tecallahan
    Options

My doctor first suggested that I get rid of carbs - I said "even fruit" and she said -- pretty much all carbs except green, leafy vegetables. But she didn't give me a diet - how many calories to eat, ration of carbs/fat/protein.

Now I have a dietician and we meet weekly to go over my weight loss, Body Fat percentage, measurements, etc. to see if we need to tweak it. At this point, I'm on 1300 calories a day - 62% fat, 25% protein, 13% carbs. I meet with him tonight and we'll see if I need to tweak or stay the course.

I also have to drink 1/2 my weight in water every day. I also work out at least 1 hour a day 6-7 days a week - combination of strength, Pilates and cardio.

I don't want to leave the impression that this is for everyone -- but if you are someone who has tried every kind of low fat diet eating "healthy" carbs, and have not lost weight, this might be you. I understand about 50% of overweight people might respond to this type of eating and lose weight.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Ladies. All the information about was GREAT! I am really excited about the book.
    Anyone but me, this book might be the one for you, also.
    Tecallahan, it sounds like you are on a road to sucess! Congrats! I will keep people posted about my progress.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Calories in/Calories Out is a myth if you are like me. No matter how few calories I eat or how much I exercise, if I eat certain carbs and volume of carbs, I absolutely will not lose weight.

do you mean if you stay under your allotted cals you will still not lose weight? ever?
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options

Calories in/Calories Out is a myth if you are like me. No matter how few calories I eat or how much I exercise, if I eat certain carbs and volume of carbs, I absolutely will not lose weight.

do you mean if you stay under your allotted cals you will still not lose weight? ever?

i haven't in the 2 months since i started here. i eat very clean, log every bite, and at or under allotted cals every single day (except a few days around christmas i went to like 1400 something cals) and work out- strength(heavy as i can weights) and cardio, underestimating cals burned big time when i log them(nor do i eat the estimated cals all back -leaving wide margins for miscalculations in burns)......yet nada changes on scale or tape measure. cals in/cals out is not working for me. i think 2 months is a fair time to give that formula and a fair time to say it is not working for me. i didn't plateau either, i just never got out of starting gate. very frustrating. something is wrong......perhaps this "metabolism B" thing is why. i dunno.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

My doctor first suggested that I get rid of carbs - I said "even fruit" and she said -- pretty much all carbs except green, leafy vegetables. But she didn't give me a diet - how many calories to eat, ration of carbs/fat/protein.

Now I have a dietician and we meet weekly to go over my weight loss, Body Fat percentage, measurements, etc. to see if we need to tweak it. At this point, I'm on 1300 calories a day - 62% fat, 25% protein, 13% carbs. I meet with him tonight and we'll see if I need to tweak or stay the course.

I also have to drink 1/2 my weight in water every day. I also work out at least 1 hour a day 6-7 days a week - combination of strength, Pilates and cardio.

I don't want to leave the impression that this is for everyone -- but if you are someone who has tried every kind of low fat diet eating "healthy" carbs, and have not lost weight, this might be you. I understand about 50% of overweight people might respond to this type of eating and lose weight.

so its the low carbs and not the 1300 calories per day thats causing you to lose?? It seems like workout out so hard and limiting calories as well as carbs may be helping???? How tall are you? Have you tried 1300 calorie diets without such low carbs and gained?? I am trying different things to help me as well....
  • LisaM100
    Options
    Very insightful reading! Since starting on this site, I cut back on my diet sodas (2 each day). I just decided to try drinking iced tea instead of diet pop because I always knew the soda made me feel hungry and a bit shakey. I think the diet pop told my body that I was really hungry. Now I don't crave carbs at all. I still eat whatever I feel like eating. I just don't have the highs and lows each day anymore. Your post is a reminder that each and every person is different, and we need to pay attention to that. My Fitness Pal has been great for me, and I like to look at the reports to see what kind of balance that I am getting in my diet.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    "...each and everyone is different."

I contest this idea.
  • tecallahan
    Options

Number of calories I eat and exercise I do is meaningless if I am eating too many carbs. I ride a bike, walk, do strength training, and eat healthy food and am at a calorie deficit, but do not lose ANYTHING at all. the best I can do while eating carbs is stay below 1200 calories, starve myself, and maintain my fat belly. No thank you.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    so its the low carbs and not the 1300 calories per day thats causing you to lose?? It seems like workout out so hard and limiting calories as well as carbs may be helping???? How tall are you? Have you tried 1300 calorie diets without such low carbs and gained?? I am trying different things to help me as well....

I was on 1200-1300 calories a day since 2008, was very active and did not lose any weight. Now I am on same number of calories but different ratios and finally losing inches + pounds.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    @tecallahan: thanks. how long before you saw results. I have tried lower carbs a few times and either gain or stay the same, even though i am still at a deficit.
    Also how do you get enough fiber?? I need 40 g a day minimum to keep things from backing up (sorry TMI)
  • Glenda2012
    Options
    I have not read the book but this is an interesting thread. I know that if you eat too few calories that you will not lose weight (unless you are totally starving) because your body thinks it is starving and holds onto every single calorie it can get. When i signed up here I modified my daily calorie goal to what I learned on TBL. That is 7 times my weight. (as long as I am between 150 and 300 lbs) My weight goal will change as my weight changes. That keeps me from eating either too few or too many calories to lose.

I agree that we are all a bit different and sometimes have to have different approaches. If I eat too many carbs it becomes too difficult for me to avoid certain other carbs during the day. Also, simple carbs will trigger carb hunger. If I get sufficient protein and concentrate on veggies, berries and some other whole fruits then the carb cravings go away.

Christmas presented too many challenges for me to post food intake into MFP. We had tons of differend kinds of food and I not only don't know how they were made but don't even know the name for a lot. I enjoyed the treats in moderation and started back posting today. Will give it a few days before I weigh in.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    @tecallahan: thanks. how long before you saw results. I have tried lower carbs a few times and either gain or stay the same, even though i am still at a deficit.
    Also how do you get enough fiber?? I need 40 g a day minimum to keep things from backing up (sorry TMI)

Some people do low carb/high protein and keep the fat low. That's not what I'm doing... my protein is moderate (25%). I am in moderate ketosis -- which means I am burning FAT!!

I started losing inches the first week... then a pound a week after that. Some people will have remarkable weight loss, but my body is so freaking efficient at burning carbs, that it still tries to resist burning fat instead.

Yeah - you can use some of your carb grams on a fiber supplement. That's what I have to do as well.

Read the book: Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It. By Gary Taubes. It's not a miracle diet-- in fact there's no diet in the book at all. It's a tough read, but it goes into great details about the science of why Calories In/Calories Out doesn't work for everyone. And why some of us are not fat because we overeat... we overeat because we are fat!

Again, it's not for everyone -- but if you have belly fat, high cholesterol, high blood pressure yet you eat right and exercise -- this might be your answer. Some people are blessed with proper insulin usage and some are not. I was just lucky that my doctor and my dietician figured it out for me. Now I have to stay the course.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Thank you so much Ladies. All the information about was GREAT! I am really excited about the book.
    Anyone but me, this book might be the one for you, also.
    Tecallahan, it sounds like you are on a road to sucess! Congrats! I will keep people posted about my progress.

Go forth and conquer! For some of us, carbs are our worst enemy. I would love to have that greek yogurt with strawberries, but my belly fat wants it more :-)
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    so you cant really have fruit or carbs? I have insulin resistance too, and I dont know how to survive without something sweet. Fruit and jello have been my go to sweets, but I worry that I will have to give up the foods I love most that arent really even all that bad for you. I have also been told by my doctor that insulin resistance can go away at a healthy weight.
  • lovelylupita82
    Options
    I haven't read this book, but I do agree that calorie intake is important when losing weight. i had a weight problem myself around this time last year and have managed to get it under control, and I'd have to say the biggest factor was my diet. There are more straight forward (without all the "bloat" lol) and probably more effective products out there...I found a good course at www.theweightlossreviewguru.com when I started out and its helped me trim down a ton. I still have more to go, but it feels great to see progress!
  • larryking46
    Options
    This is great confirmation for me! I have had a very difficult time losing weight and have been using MFP for quite some time. I am trying to lose 2 pounds per week. Sometimes it is my fault - meaning, I yo yo diet, good day, the really bad day and so on. However, I do notice that I lose weight if the 1700 calories are are made up of fruits and vegetables, a healthy sandwich from subway etc. Conversely, when I "fill" the calories with crackers, desserts, cheese, and no fruit, the results are nearly none.

Also, I notice on the cardio I have to be conservative. I use the machines at the gym - stationary bike and elliptical. If I enter the 1000 calories the machine says I burnt then forget it... I would never lose weight. So, I error on the side of caution and enter 500 instead of a 1000. Any thoughts on this? Similar experiences?

Larry
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this book, but I do agree that calorie intake is important when losing weight. i had a weight problem myself around this time last year and have managed to get it under control, and I'd have to say the biggest factor was my diet. There are more straight forward (without all the "bloat" lol) and probably more effective products out there...I found a good course at www.theweightlossreviewguru.com when I started out and its helped me trim down a ton. I still have more to go, but it feels great to see progress!

What this book is saying this not everyone can lose weight the same weight. Not everyone can just count calories and lose weight. If the counting calories works for you then....keep on doing it. This book says to eat several times through out the day and you are allowe to have carbs.