Seriously!?!? Is this really a healthy snack?

Options
So I purchased some Emerald Breakfast on the Go nut and granola mix. I figured this would be a good mid-morning snack. I get to work at 7:30, eat my cheerios at my desk around 8:00 and don't get lunch until 1:00 so I need something around 10:30 or 11:00 to hold me over. After comparing the nutrition lable of the Emerald product to a potato chip bag, I am rethinking my choice (not that I am going to eat the chips mind you) The Emerald packet has 20 more calories than the chips, only 3 less fat grams, and nearly twice the carbs. I was just really shocked at the comparison. So I guess my question is; How healthy is this snack? Thoughts? Comments? Feedback?

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the fiber and the protien too. You need to compare everything. Don't forget that protien and fiber will curb the sugar spike that your body gets from the carbs. I am not saying this is the best choice, but keep going when you are comparing nutritional value. It's not all calories, carbs and fat. Some fats are better than others, too.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sometimes things that look healthy, or have a reputation as a good snack, can be surprising. It pays to check out the nutritional breakdown, as you did. Granola is a major culprit - really high in sugar too!

My mid morning snacks are rice cakes with some cheese, a piece of fruit, a hard boiled egg, or some almonds.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Look at the protein and fiber. Look at the ingredient list. Remember the grease on your fingers from the last time you had a bag of chips.

Look at the sodium.

A few more calories, huh - that's nothing. 3 grams of fat less per serving? Really, that's fantastic.

You will feel much more satisfied by the granola mix over the chips. Just the satisfaction of the different flavors will help a bunch.

Now I'm not saying that that really is a healthy snack because I've never had it or looked at the label. But in comparison to any chips... hell yes!
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Take into consideration that you are probably getting much more protein with the Emerald Breakfast. It will most likely keep you more satisfied hunger wise as well. Personally, I would rather have a handful of raw (or lightly salted) almonds, which aren't nearly as processed as a granola mix. Emerald has a great selection of flavored almonds, from wasabi to salt and vinegar! They are packed with protein, and extremelyyy tasty!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Healthy is not just about fat, carbs and calories. The type of fat and carbs are very important. Do the carbs come along with fiber and protein as they do in fruit and nuts, or are they simple or empty carbs as in many chips.

Look at the entire nutrition label to see which is healthier.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    The Emerald breakfast is sugary. Better breakfast on the go -> yogurt and a handful of almonds.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't have the chip bag in front of me but the emerald pack has 3g of protein & 3g of fiber. I know the granola mix is definately a better choice, but was shocked at some of the comparison.
  • GurleyGirl524
    Options
    I don't have the chip bag in front of me but the emerald pack has 3g of protein & 3g of fiber. I know the granola mix is definately a better choice, but was shocked at some of the comparison.
  • GurleyGirl524
    Options
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Take into consideration that you are probably getting much more protein with the Emerald Breakfast. It will most likely keep you more satisfied hunger wise as well. Personally, I would rather have a handful of raw (or lightly salted) almonds, which aren't nearly as processed as a granola mix. Emerald has a great selection of flavored almonds, from wasabi to salt and vinegar! They are packed with protein, and extremelyyy tasty!

yup Almonds are where its at! i also like jerkey or egg whites as a snack . Protien rules
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    it is so hard sometimes to make the right choice... you think it is a better choice but find out it was worse. I was also munching on peanuts today when i looked at the bag and for a 1/3 cup it was over 300 calories... ouch!
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am not so big on counting carbs as I am on counting calories. Pound for pound, I would probably rather have 200 calories from a trail mix bar (provided it doesn't have a lot of sugar) as opposed to 200 calories from chips.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

It is kind of crazy just comparing calories but nuts are dense and are full of other nutrients that chips definitely are not. The less processing they go through the better. As other's have said you're better off with a small serving of raw trail mix than the chips or even the granola.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just curious... do you know what the difference was in the level of saturated fat?

I'm learning (somewhat to my own shock) that the fat we eat serves and important purpose. Fat from nuts is likely going to be better than fat from fried potatoes.

But sometimes those "healthful" options are really sneaky!!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Many items are marketed to be healthy but in real comparison they are not. We just believe what we see and hear.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Honestly the whole debate on "healthy" and "unhealthy" is out of hand. I'm a 100% believer in the idea of, a fat is a fat, a carb is a carb, and protein is protein. Regardless of where you're getting them from, my honest opinion is that companies create these "healthy" type snacks in order to get people to pay more or even just to choose their product over another because of the health claims they make. Don't fall victim to these companies scams do your own research. The bag of potato chips or the bag of nuts and granola are really no different. Besides the price of course.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Remember, granola is a complex carb that won't spike your sugar as much as simple carbs. Also, the fats in the granola may be from nuts which are healthier fats. Look at the breakdown of fat, not just the total fat grams. The mono- and poly-unsaturated fats are healthier then the saturated fats, so you may have a much bigger difference when looking at the breakdown of types of fat. Also, there are probably more vitamins and minerals in the granola mix then in the potato chips.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Honestly the whole debate on "healthy" and "unhealthy" is out of hand. I'm a 100% believer in the idea of, a fat is a fat, a carb is a carb, and protein is protein.

To some degree "fat" is "fat"... but when it come to hydrogenated fats (like in potato chips) there's just nothing your body can DO with that. Why eat something your body can't use?
  • Germerican_Ang
    Options
    I so agree with that! I just started counting about 6 weeks ago via an app on my phone and am totally not into the carb thing (maybe YET?) or ever? either way I focus on the cals for now ;-) 14 lbs down woot! (my ticker is wrong LOL I need help!)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on the specific item you're asking about, since I don't have the packaging in front of me, but I'd like to point out that calories, fat and carbs do not determine how healthy something is. None of those are bad - all are necessary for a healthy diet. Plain almonds are super high in fat and calories, but can be part of an incredibly healthy diet. Similarly, most "low/zero" calorie or "low carb" diet foods are complete crap, in my opinion.

When I'm looking for healthy snacks, the #1 question I ask is - how processed is this?

Example:
    1) Raw Peanuts - Fantastic snack! (in limited quantities, since it is calorie dense)
    2) trail mix with almonds/dried fruit/etc - Okay snack - probably has added sugars/salt - but not too horrible (again, in limited quantities, as it tends to be calorie dense)
    3)"snack bar" with "real fruit" in it - most of these aren't healthy - lots of added sugars/oils/preservatives/etc. - not much real fruit at all.

I analyze everything like this, and try to make the best choices based on what type of snack I'm looking for (ex. something light or something filling) and what I have available.

Edited to add: Learn to read the ingredients first, and then the nutrition facts. Things you want to look for include: If you see a ton of ingredients that you have no idea what they are, chances are you don't want to eat it. If sugar (any form - corn syrup, fruit juice concentrate, etc.) is the 1st ingredient or there are various types of sugars listed, it's probably not the best snack. (ingredients are listed in order of how much is in the product.) I'm sure you get the picture...