Tingling toes on the elliptical?

Options

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me every single time I've ever used the elliptical. It is one reason I stopped using it and switched to the treadmill. No matter what I did - it happened. Kinda hard to workout when you can't feel your toes! lol.
  • murraycharlie
    Options
    i get that exact thing too, but ONLY on the elliptical, regardless of the shoes i wear. i have no problem with this on the treadmill.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It happens to me every time. I usually go backwards for about 2 minutes after going forward for 10. It helps to restore circulation in my feet... I was told by one of the trainers at my gym that it's normal for those on the shorter side.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I get it too. Started wearing flipflops and it doesn't happen. I do it in my fuzzy slippers too!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wears slippers to workout!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I had this and asked my Dr. He said it is the shoes. Yours are apparently pinching something. Not necessarily the wrong size just how the shoe falls on the ankle.
  • kristimartiny
    Options
    It happens to me all the time after 15 minutes or so....even go barefoot, same result...soooo..it must be the way I am standing and using my feet. Think too much pressure of the balls and not enough on the heels. Glad I am not the only one with this problem....is frustrating...disrupts my routine....
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    Not necessarily the shoes, but how tight you have the laces. Loosen them.

Completely agree with this. I used to get tingly toes, I tried loosening my laces a bit and that seems to have worked.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else? I can only stay on for like, 15min before my toes start feeling numb. :( I've done some research, and I don't think it's something to worry about too-too much, but it is irksome....
    All the time... just lack of blood flow due to the motion and perhaps too tight trainers socks... its normally fine... like getting a dead arm when you sleep on it!
  • ludke
    ludke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've also found that going backwards for just a minute can help. :smile:
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    I have a bulging disc in my low back at the lowest vertabre ( L-5/S1 ) and my toes and sometimes even part of my foot tingles and goes numb, my doctor says that is why it happens to me, for me it has nothing to do with any of my shoes. It even happens when I am barefoot.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I get it too. Only thing that helps for me is new, well cushioned socks. Also, I make small foot position adjustments regularly.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to wear shoes that have mesh toes, so that will I am on the elliptical I can wiggle my toes around to keep the blood flow going.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a chiropractor? Sometimes if the smallest thing is out of line it can cause pressure on different nerves. My hips tend to shift at an angle so I get adjusted every few months and it seems to really help with muscle tightness, low back and hip pain. Everything is connected so it might be worth a look.
  • kylashea
    kylashea Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get this too, but I also get it in the arch of my foot. I get it on any exercise equipment though
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have a bulging disc in my low back at the lowest vertabre ( L-5/S1 ) and my toes and sometimes even part of my foot tingles and goes numb, my doctor says that is why it happens to me, for me it has nothing to do with any of my shoes. It even happens when I am barefoot.

I have a bulging disc in the same spot - but it happened to me before I had issues with that disc. I've tried different shoes, different socks, tighter laces, loosening the laces - NOTHING helps.

I don't particularly like the elliptical (I feel off balance on it), so I don't mind switching to the treadmill or incline trainer. :)
  • Thunderrose1
    Options
    chevy88grl, I also have the back issues. I had that disc removed. I still have the tingling. Same thing, shoes, slippers, flipflops and even bare feet. (which by the way is not comfortable on my elliptical). It is a nerve issue that is different for different people. I just try to ignore it and push on. I change the pressure point on my foot as I work through my routine. That helps a little. But some days are better than others.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Same thing happens to me on the exercise bike.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Happens to me, too, regardless of shoes. Although I've never tried without shoes....interesting idea. I can still stay on the elliptical and I do, because I love it! It is about 30 minutes before it happens to me. Anyway, I just hang with the numb toes because I like the elliptical a lot. :wink:
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i get this too, my shoes are plenty big enough as i wear them for running with no problems.
    i think its to do with the actual machine and how it positions your feet, the gym recently got all new equipment and i had no issues on the old ellipticals, but the new ones give me fuzzy toes and my feet seem to slide right forwards on the plates!
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You're probably pushing with the balls of your feet. Push evenly through your whole foot.