Kitty advice, please

Options

Replies

• Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    My opinion:

If you are even thinking about de-clawing a cat, you are not a cat lover and should not even contemplate cat ownership.
    :flowerforyou:

Yes, it's much better to let that cat be among the hundreds of thousands killed every year in shelters or abandoned because no one wants them than to remove a few toe knuckles.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    In response to the guy who lost his leather couch, and for anyone who needs to get rid of the smell of cat urine:

I found a product that is incomparable in performance. It really does eliminate the odor entirely....even the cats can't smell anything anymore because they do not return to the spot. It's called Force Out, and they make 2 fab products - a stain remover, for the stains you can see, and the Odor Eliminator, which is simply amazing.

It's not that cheap, but I've never found anything that works as well. Hands down a necessity in any home where cats pee in undesirable locations....
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    My advice: give the cat to someone more humane than you and don't get any animals that will "mess up your expensive furniture".

For ****'s sake like.
  • oneorangekitty
    oneorangekitty Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just have the kitty declawed on the front paws. Ask your vet to presribe a pain patch for the first few days after the procedure. The soft paws don't stay on.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get into the "humane or train" discussion, but have you ever had a declawed cat play and swat you.

Pap pap pap pap pap

It kind of tickles and is pretty funny

Pap pap pap pap

Oh, and when they hold on to kick with their back legs, makes me laugh.

The last cat I will ever have was a declawed rescued that was pretty aggressive
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    My opinion:

If you are even thinking about de-clawing a cat, you are not a cat lover and should not even contemplate cat ownership.
    :flowerforyou:

Yes, it's much better to let that cat be among the hundreds of thousands killed every year in shelters or abandoned because no one wants them than to remove a few toe knuckles.
    Maybe spaying or neutering is what your referring to since their claws have nothing to do with their reproductive system.:grumble:
  • gasolean
    Options
    Don't declaw! My cats aren't--we just have a scratch post!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Oh and I should add that I just got a new kitten a few months ago and have brand new furniture. She has caused quite a bit of damage, I scold her and spray her with water, but you know what? I also shrug it off, it's part of owning a cat. I have 2 cats, love them dearly and would NEVER cause them harm so that my house would appear nicer. Maybe the kitten will grow out of it, maybe not...but you know what, declawing will never be my solution to that problem, ever.
  • ksmith2187
    Options
    I will rip through the world to find you and take that poor kitty off you if you even think about the idea of considering to maybe declaw it.

That is the cruellest thing you could do and I cannot believe people still do it.

please don't.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I didn't have time to read through all the responses, but my Hubz & I have 4 cats right now, possibly a 5th who we think has been abandoned & is now living on our front porch. I've grown up with cats & they have always kept their claws. We train them to not scratch from a young age, and keep cardboard scratching posts around for them which they love!
    My thought is this. What if the cat does get out? They have no defenses to fight or climb to get away from a potential "bully".

We clip their claws when they turn into talons (when the cat jumps on your lap to knead & you feel the claws, it's time to clip); start them out young enough & they know what it's about, they get treats once the clipping is done & they're happy. We do have 1 abandoned Cat who adopted us when she was around 6 or 7 who HATES getting her claws clipped. So much so that while I hold her wrapped in a towel, Hubz has a welding glove on because it's the only thing she can't bite through! But once its done, she runs off to sulk for about 5 minutes then she's back & loving as ever.

But to each their own. Cats are actually trainable, if you start them young & teach them. Yes, they're independent, but ultimately, you're the one with the food control & they will concede to food & a warm place to sleep :bigsmile:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I will rip through the world to find you and take that poor kitty off you if you even think about the idea of considering to maybe declaw it.

That is the cruellest thing you could do and I cannot believe people still do it.

please don't.

Worse than dropping it off at a shelter or in the woods somewhere? Or on the side of a road? Really??
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    We do have 1 abandoned Cat who adopted us when she was around 6 or 7 who HATES getting her claws clipped. So much so that while I hold her wrapped in a towel, Hubz has a welding glove on because it's the only thing she can't bite through!

And your cat has to go through this every week or so? And this is better? Sounds extremely anxiety-producing to me.
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't believe declawing cats is inhumane at all. It doesn't cut off the toe or pad. Cats also do not use the last bone to walk. Your cat doesn't feel any irregular pain outside of the normal post operation pain. Do you plan on fixing your cat? I'm sure that won't feel too well either. It isn't even necessary for your cats to have their paws shaven or for them to bleed. Laser removal works great and minimizes the recovery time. I have never heard of a cat that was traumatized by the loss of their claws. I have owned many cats and they have all had their front and back claws removed.

Spaying and neutering are done so that there arne't thousands upon thousands of homeless cats and dogs running around fending for themselves (many of which will die very young because they are domestic and nt able to properly care for themselves in the wild). Not to mention that male cats that are not neutered get injured in fights and female cats who have even one litter of kittens have an increased chance of getting cancer.

Declawing is done simply because people care more about asthetics than the animals in their care. No comparison. If you don't want your furniture clawed, don't get a cat. Or work with the cat to ensure the best outcome.

How do you know what kind of pain the cat feels from being declawed? How would you like a bone from each toe removed, plus every nail?

There is nothing inhumane about it. Declawing isn't only for aesthetics. There are many other reasons to declaw a cat. Also, contrary to popular belief, declawing a cat is not comparable to removing a bone or fingernail from the human body. I don't understand how you are coming to this conclusion.

Try google. You will see what everyone is referring to. In fact, there is a website - www.declawing.com - which is run by a vet that explains why a cat needs claws.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on the fabric on the furniture.

Didn't read the whole thread, but I have seven cats, all with claws, and none of them scratch at my (good) furniture. They'll scratch at their scratching posts, and sometimes at the carpet, but since I have hardwood or tiled floors and just have fairly cheap area rugs, I don't care about that. And I have an old junky couch upstairs that was here when I bought the house and too big to bother moving, so I just slipcover it. That's a thick, loosly woven, textured fabric that they can really sink their claws into, and they like to scratch at it... under the slipcover. Again... don't care. My ultrasuede couch and loveseat? They have no interest in the fabric at all.
  • ksmith2187
    Options

please don't.

Worse than dropping it off at a shelter or in the woods somewhere? Or on the side of a road? Really??

For the sake of arguing my point in this situation yes it is worse.

All cats scratch. Scratching is a natural and necessary part of feline life. In fact, it is IMPOSSIBLE for a cat or kitten NOT to scratch.

A cat’s claws are as important to it as your fingers are to you. When you declaw a cat, you aren’t just removing its nails. Declawing removes the tool cats use to grasp; when climbing, running, reaching and any number of activities a cat might engage in

1. Claws are a cats first line (and really only line) of defence, without them in a confrontation its like you have put your cat in the middle of a highway at peak hour traffic, they don't stand a chance.

2. claws are essential for their paw, front leg, shoulder and back health, this relates to their fitness.

3. to catch prey/ have fun, without claws it is estimated that a cat with claws has a 82% more chance to catch dinner than a de clawed cat. so if it escapes/got out one night and couldn't find its way home it would have a s*** all rate of survival. and even though she will keep it inside, we all know cats get out one way or another they always do.

4. declawed cats often stop using their litter, after the operation and sometimes when they are completely healed the pads on their paws are still so tender they cannot handle walking into a litter box.

5.personality changes - generally after a massive operation and such pain afterwards you cat loses all trust it had in you, become either fearful or withdrawn.

6. The same way you need all your toes for walking, cats need those clawed joints to move naturally. In fact, cats need that part of their feet even more because they are far more physical creatures than humans are.

I firmly believe that cats can be trained. More specifically, training a cat to use a scratching post (and other scratching toys) is certainly possible! Cats are smart animals and if consistently trained with love, patience and care…you can turn their destructive behavior around.

I own three wonderful fully clawed cats, I wouldn't change a thing about them and I would never willingly put them in harms way. You choose to declaw you cat, you choose to put that cat through one of the most painful procedures a cat can go through. the physical rehabilitation can be endless, the cons far outweigh the pros (who bloody cares about furniture, if you love your furniture more than your cat you shouldn't have a cat).

Australia, England, Brazil, Japan, Scotland, New Zealand to name a few recognise this as completely barbaric and have made it illegal and i can tell you some US states are looking into that option but once again they are behind the rest of the developed world when it comes to animal safety. - NOT AN ATTACK ON AMERICAN PEOPLE

http://www.declawing.com/
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    OK Cat's do not just randomly pee and poop on or in other things other then there cat box..... unless you don't keep ther box cleaned out. If it isn't clean then yes they will go else where. I've had my Declawed cat for 4 yrs now and he doesn't go anywhere else but his box. He is Happy and healthy and loves me and my fiancee! Cats are very easy to train, so if you decide that you "THINK" that they will be in pain then don't do it. Personaly I've had cat's with and with out there front claws, I still have a chair that shows it! (not my cat, my roommate's), I know that mine was never upset and never went outside the box when it came to going to the bathroom. SO I don't see anything wrong with having your cat declawed if they are going to be indoors.... O and mine can do everything a cat with front claws can. He hits my dog with his front paw all the time and scares the Poop out of my dog! Just sayin!
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day it is up to you but I would strongly advise against declawing, it is cruel and inhumane to be honest. It should be illegal. If you put the time and effort into training your cat, (s)he won't claw your furniture. I've had cats my whole life and our couches are in perfect condition. My cats have a scratch pole and they know that is the ONLY thing in the house that they can claw.

Think of it this way - if you had a child and that child scratched you because it didn't know any better, would you remove your child's nails completely? Or would you teach it not to scratch?

Hurting a living and breathing creature for the sake of your furniture is just... I cannot even fathom it.

ETA:
    I firmly believe that cats can be trained. More specifically, training a cat to use a scratching post (and other scratching toys) is certainly possible! Cats are smart animals and if consistently trained with love, patience and care…you can turn their destructive behavior around.

tumblr_lwxjkximXN1qh2o7zo1_500.gif

You know how I trained my cats not to claw our furniture? I lifted them away from the couch when they attempted to claw it. None of this shooting them with water, smacking them, and yelling at them business. You need patience and a lot of love!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    The cat that we have now is not de-clawed. We got her last year and she's eight. I'm sure we'd prefer her to be declawed but we're not going to declaw an older cat. Our other cats were declawed though.

The cat we have now has scratched several surfaces, including our leather couch and the carpet on the stairs. We've tried many different products to deter her from scratching but they don't really work - she just finds a different place to scratch. If you don't want to declaw, you are going to have to get used to the scratching unless you can find a product that works to deter the scratching.
    Did that many people really get all heated up at the mere mention of declawing that they totally missed the question being asked?

The poster said herself that she thinks declawing is cruel. She did not ask for people to agree or disagree with her! She asked about Softpaws and/or other alternatives! Sheesh.

I'm glad you said this. I feel like nobody actually read the original post. People were really saying some mean things about how she doesn't deserve to have a cat. That's just plain rude and those people have no class!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    WE have two cats, and I am really a dog person. When we first got the first cat we wanted to declaw, but then we too discovered how painful it was be to the cat, and I think it demoralize them for life.... sounds a bit silly but we decided not to declaw. We have no problem with furniture and we had one cat for 8 years and the other for 2 years.

this spring we are getting a dog, finally! (we will not declaw the dog either).
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    double post