Anyone else trying to give up chocolate in 2012

Options

Replies

• SandersWifey
    Options
    Mmmmm I just ate some chocolate and it was yummy!! :love:

No way I would ever say good-bye forever!!
  • kdhc89
    Options
    Giving up chocolate was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I found out last year that I am allergic to caffeine and had to cut it out completely. So, not only did I lose chocolate, but I had to give up most soda, coffee and every other product with caffeine. The hardest part is the first 2-3 weeks, keeping it out of your house and desk at work is the best way to make it easiest. Aside from that...chew on gum constantly so that when the urge comes about your mouth is already busy. Try a sweet gum, to help curb the need for sugar. Those are the only things that helped me, it is really just about willpower, I went through caffeine withdraw that my doc said was one of the worst things he has ever seen which made it harder, but don't get frustrated if you cheat a bit, just know that you slipped and need to try harder next time. After all, its not really that hard to just say no and walk away!!!
  • SmujnZ
    SmujnZ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll give it up - its when you say "NEVER" that you end up binging I reckon.... I am going to work hard at not doing the "oh if I eat it now, its all gone and I don't need to worry about it" - That theory is bad bad bad news.... I am going to work hard at being able to eat the foods I struggled with in the past in moderation, and because I choose too, not because I am emotionally grabbing them.... however, happy to support anyone in their decision and goals = to each our own eh?
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    When I first started mfp... I had a chocolate day once a week. It gave me something to look forward to while cutting back. The list included chocolate breakfast cereal... Chocolate mini wheats, chocolate cheerios or cocoa krispies and a candy bar once a week too. Then I discovered Emerald cocoa roast almonds. I did this for almost a year and lost 59 pounds. Then I learned I had cancer... so chocolate slowly crept back into my life. I did more of a maintanance thing for 4 months. I've had my surgery, and only face radiation now... so I am ready to recommit. I feel like this plan worked well in the past and I'm going to give it another round. When you like something... it's unrealistic to give it up completely... find what works for you and stick with it.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    absolutly not. I have been able to do this for the last 14 months because i never had to give up anything.
  • mamiek22
    Options
    Dark chocolate has antioxidants. I'm keeping it!!!!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Hell no.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I will never give up chocolate or cheese or burgers or pizza or . . . I will just eat them in reasonable portions.

I totally agree with this. I lost all the weight I wanted to plus 25 more without giving up any kind of food. Why make dieting more miserable than necessary?
  • Pam1300
    Options
    Sugar in general is my big downfall so I am going to try and give up on chocolate, soda and all other desserts. I told myself that I was never going to have another New Years resolution but here I go again. Good luck to all of you
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    The group for those wanting to cut out or cut down is here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1643-beating-the-food-demons
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    That would be evil :devil:

All things in moderation. :smokin:
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I eat it in moderation. If I want something chocolate, I will figure it into my daily calories.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate has antioxidants. I'm keeping it!!!!!

So do fruit and veges lol I going to stick to those.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    NO! That is ridiculous...well...for me anyway! I don't eat it that often, though I did just enjoy one square of a Lindt Dark Chocolate with a Touch of Sea Salt.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I am seriously hooked on chocolate - eat far too much daily and while I am not gaining I know it is undermining the other good work I do. I really want and need to cut down in 2012 and wondered if there are others struggling with the same thing (doesn't have to be chocolate could be another food demon) and wanted to form a group.
    OUCH!
    Why give anything up? When we continually deprive ourselves, it leads to failure.
    That's why Alcoholics Anonymous has a 95% failure rate. All those poor drunks in those little meetings being told they can never drink ever again.

It doesn't work!
    Do what you feel is best, but I allow all things but in moderation.
    And on "free day" - anything I want, and my results speak for itself.

This. Except that I would add sometimes going cold turkey for a while helps. If I eat refined sugar on a regular basis I get really strong cravings. If I don't eat it for a few weeks to a month the cravings go away, then I can enjoy it in moderation. Once I get home from my current visit to family, I'm definitely going off sugar for a few weeks. Knowing it's only a few weeks makes it manageable. I love chocolate too much to give it up forever.

That said, I do plan to mostly give up diet soda this year. I feel like my eating habits are pretty healthy, except for that glaring exception. I love carbonation, so I'll be drinking more sparkling water, and replacing the caffeine with ice tea and better sleep habits. I'm not saying I'll never drink it, but it shouldn't be an every day thing.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    That's just crazy talk.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Will it make my period stop?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Well i figure if i switch from snorting it to actually eating it i might be ok
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to make 2012 seem as long as possible?
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in giving something up completely just leads you to binge on something else. There's a reason why addicts that are "on the wagon" smoke like fiends...

So, no.