Plans for your tax returns?

Options

Replies

• Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, new flooring in my daughter's room and bathroom, new clothes and savings :):) Oh and a HRM.
  • ccb1030
    ccb1030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well I had big plans to put it into our savings, but it seems our refrigerator is on it's last leg. So I guess I'll be buying a dang refrigerator.
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    we expect a 5000, to 6,000 return. $700 goes toward paying y grandpa back for having him pay to fix my husbands car, $200 for an elliptical for me, a couple hundred to fix a few minor problems on my van like a belt and brakesthen $1000 in savings and the rest put toward my car payment to get it paid off as soon as possible so we can be car payment free by the end of 2012 and never ever get another car payment again
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    No clue what a tax return is :laugh:

Same here!
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    State return into savings. My half of the Fed return will get me new clothes, some new hiking, running, and fishing gear, an incline/decline bench. Maybe some new ink.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Hawaii or the Highlands!!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    We will get ourselves closer to being DEBT FREE! 2012 will be our debt free year! :) 80k down 19k to go!
    Make sure you scream it from the rooftops when you reach it. That's fantastic!

I'll be re-building our emergency fund, and catching up bills so in the future I can pay them on-time or early instead of at the end of the month.

Dave Ramsey fan huh? :)
    Yep!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    We will get ourselves closer to being DEBT FREE! 2012 will be our debt free year! :) 80k down 19k to go!
    Make sure you scream it from the rooftops when you reach it. That's fantastic!

I'll be re-building our emergency fund, and catching up bills so in the future I can pay them on-time or early instead of at the end of the month.

Dave Ramsey fan huh? :)
    Yep!

awesome!
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    For those of us not getting bent over and screwed by Uncle Sam, what do you plan on doing with your tax refund?
    I would consider having given Uncle Sam an interest-free loan all year "getting bent over and screwed" too.
    you don't have to do it that way. Change your deductions...
    Understood. It always cracks me up to see celebration about a big refund. one could adjust his deductions, and stow the money away in an interest-bearing account and come out with even more dough.

Regardless, the fact that only 53% of us pay taxes, and those that make more pay a higher percentage, is what really grinds my gears.
    Just starting this thread so forgive me if this has been addressed.

Many people who get large tax refunds do so because of year end bonuses that are taxed higher at the time but reconfigure when doing your taxes. So it's not really a "year long interest free loan to the government." In most cases it's a 2-4 month loan to the government. With interest rates for savings accounts in the toilet the amount you'd have made is negligible at best. OTOH, if you owe the government more than $500 they charge you interest and penalties. I'd much rather play it safe and get a few hundred/thousand than cut it too close and end up owing even more.

Also, let's say someone reduces their withholdings so they keep an extra $10/week. At the end of the year that's $520 less refund they get. If thy keep it at $10/week they'll probably have absolutely nothing to show for it at the end of the year. If they take it as a lump refund then they can put it into an IRA or pay down debt (that they probably would have only increased with that $10/week) or do some sort of home improvement.
  • Bahet
    Options
    A large amount refunded or due equals bad planning.

Not so true, I own an Income Tax Office, Client can work and earn about 10k have a few babies and pay ZERO in to the Federal Government and get about a $9000.00 refund.. I see it hundreds of time every year...So did they badly plan?

You're right. There are a few instances where individuals pay nothing in taxes to the Fed gov't for an entire year, yet still get a significant "refund" amount. (If you haven't paid in is it still a refund?) In those instances there is nothing anyone can do to plan better. That scenario is not very likely.
    That scenario is actually quite likely. A married couple with 2 kids can make about $32,000 (I forget the exact number) and still get back a refund even if they claimed exempt and had nothing taken out. In this day and age where engineers are laid off and working as pizza delivery guys and 10% of the population is unemployed it's something that happens pretty regularly.
  • Bahet
    Options

Not so true, I own an Income Tax Office, Client can work and earn about 10k have a few babies and pay ZERO in to the Federal Government and get about a $9000.00 refund.. I see it hundreds of time every year...So did they badly plan?

You want to do my taxes? I could use a $9k refund...ha ha ha.
    I also do taxes. Last year the best refund I got a client was $40,000. No, that's not a typo. Yes, I did have a talk with them about adjusting their withholdings. In their defense, they were working overseas so they got the foreign tax credit for each of them and they thought it was a total, not a total for each of them that was allowed.
  • Bahet
    Options
    For us I'll probably get an elliptical. I've taken hubby around to look at a few but he doesn't like any of them. I found one I really like though so I'll probably use part of the refund on that. The rest will go into mutual funds.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It will all go towards my husbands student loans. Trying to get them paid off since my payments start in January and it will knock us down to the 1 loan payment.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

I also do taxes. Last year the best refund I got a client was $40,000. No, that's not a typo. Yes, I did have a talk with them about adjusting their withholdings. In their defense, they were working overseas so they got the foreign tax credit for each of them and they thought it was a total, not a total for each of them that was allowed.

If they would have planned better they wouldn't have got such a big refund and improved their monthly cash flow. Talking to an accountant about the implications of working on foreign soil would have benefited them.
  • Bahet
    Options

If they would have planned better they wouldn't have got such a big refund and improved their monthly cash flow. Talking to an accountant about the implications of working on foreign soil would have benefited them.
    Yes, that's why they talked with me. They really didn't need the cash flow. Obviously someone getting a $40,000 refund is more than financially solvent, especially when they are working overseas and had no expenses. They were a unique situation but it's not at all uncommon for my ex-pat clients to get refunds that would buy them a decent brand new car. That was just the only one that would buy a decent new luxury car.

Again though, it's a matter of how much you make. For some of those people a refund that most people would consider obscenely large and a waste of interest was really only "on loan" to the government for a few weeks/months tops. It wasn't a year long loan. They didn't start to overpay until Nov/Dec and if I file their taxes in Jan/Feb they weren't without the money for much time at all.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    A shopping spree! I need new clothes really bad!
  • TiMoPhat
    TiMoPhat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Treating myself to a 25th birthday vacation in the Caribbean!!!
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For those of us not getting bent over and screwed by Uncle Sam, what do you plan on doing with your tax refund?
    I would consider having given Uncle Sam an interest-free loan all year "getting bent over and screwed" too.

Agreed.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Pay off student loans!
  • mortla
    mortla Posts: 73
    Options
    Buy a new couch and save for my Florida trip :)