How often do you weigh?

Options
I have been weighing myself everyday. I know this is not a healthy way to approach weight loss. What do you do?

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    weigh once a day in the morning right after I get up. If it makes you crazy ask someone to hide the scale for you
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing myself everyday. I know this is not a healthy way to approach weight loss. What do you do?
    I weigh EVERY DAY!

Right when I wake up and after a good poo but before breakfast.
    I track weight trends along with body fat which you can do here very easily:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

All this tripe about "weigh in day" doesn't work for me. Weight measurements are just numbers - tools I use to track progress.
    And I want to know every day where I am.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every day but now I'm down the 3 or 4 times a week. Babysteps lol.
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I find this keeps me in check. Now, I realize that our weight fluctuates daily, and because I know that, I don't freak out over being up a pound or two one day. I just chug the water, and find that it comes back off. A lot of people think that weighing daily isn't "healthy", but I truly find that, right now, I need to do this in order to keep myself aware of what is happening. Once I hit my goal, I can see myself backing off on the scale a bit...maybe to once per week.
  • Shannafo
    Shannafo Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, and plan to for a long time. Not getting on the scales more often than I did is how I got this big. Obviously I realize that what and how much I was eating is what got me this size...but not getting on the scales and being aware of what the scale was doing was not smart for me personally. I don't want to let my weight 'sneak' back up ever again!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to weigh every day because the New York Times article that's been flying around here for the past few days said successful dieters who also successfully maintained weighed in every day.

Not sure yet if it's a good idea, though. I might get a little bit obsessive about it.
  • MikeG2
    MikeG2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I found it encouraging at first because it dropped quickly at that time, but I think it should not become a real habit. Later on you will probably level off somewhat (I am just over 3 weeks in), and I doubt you will see as much difference at that time, which is probably when you should check less often. Just my $.02
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Everyday except for "woman time" because I gain soo much water weight and it makes me worry too much. I gotta say, some people cant do the daily thing because your weight fluctuates so much that they get anxiety when they see a couple pounds gained, then the next day you lose a couple pounds. If that starts happening to you, I suggest a few times a week.
  • becky2967
    Options
    going to start doing it once a month, from today onwards. ive noticed doing it weekly my weight fluctuates and its fustrating.
  • _JustLovely
    Options
    Everyday so I can keep myself in check. If it says something crazy, I dont freak out though.
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I check my weight daily but only record each Monday morning. I record inches every 1-2 weeks depending on how much time I have! My trainer usually does every 2 week measurements but she has started asking to measure weekly! *insert happy dance here*

20" GONE over the 5 weeks. (bust, waist, abs, hips, thigh, arms)

30.5# GONE in 77 days. Next official weight at 84 days!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Daily. The only way it is bad is if you let what see on the scale dictate your emotions for the day. If you can keep a healthy perspective about it, there is no reason why you can't weigh every day.
  • reharvrun
    Options
    Totally agree!
  • Alicja_W
    Alicja_W Posts: 169
    Options
    I weight myself every day :/ i dont know if its good but i feel better if i know that i have control over it :ohwell:
  • V_Zanoudakis
    V_Zanoudakis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i weigh every morning. it motivates me to do well that day.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Actually, it can be a good way to track your progress, as long as you keep in mind that your weight WILL fluctuate. I am at my goal weight, which is a healthy weight for my body type/height, I eat healthy and exercise regularly, and my weight STILL fluctuates. There is nothing wrong with weighing once a day as long as you aren't beating yourself up if you gain half a lb one day... chances are, you will end up losing it and then some a little later. I read that aiming for one single number isn't reasonable due to our body's natural fluctuations, and that you should aim to stay in a window of +2/-2 lbs or so (some people fluctuate more- especially people who take in a lot of high-sodium foods). So for me, I aim to stay around 123-126. Also, even though I sometimes weigh myself each day, I only record my weight once a week because I find its a better indicator of my "true" weight loss, fluctuations aside.. It's all about your attitude and mindset toward the whole thing :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every day for my mental reminder and track in writing once a week.

Pffft on those who say you shouldn't weigh every day. My vote is do whatever works for you.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I weigh EVERY DAY!

Right when I wake up and after a good poo but before breakfast.
    I track weight trends along with body fat which you can do here very easily:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

All this tripe about "weigh in day" doesn't work for me. Weight measurements are just numbers - tools I use to track progress.
    And I want to know every day where I am.

^this
    I have one of those scales that gives you water %, etc. It helps me to track how well I'm hydrating (did I hydrate enough yesterday considering my activities?) as well as knowing where I am weight-wise. But I take what I've eaten over the last few days into account when I look at the weight number.
  • mellymclaughlin
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week. I need some new scales and I think I'll move to once every two weeks.

My weight fluctuates a lot during the week so I know I'd be disheartened if it even goes a pound the wrong way. For that reason alone, it's a bad thing for me to weigh myself any more. That said, I'd prefer for the focal point of my new eating habits to be just that. I do want to weigh less and achieve a target weight but I don't want to be obsessed with the numbers...
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday keeps me on track and to keep pushing my myself.I don't feel there's and thing wrong with it.