Do you run in the rain? Do you care if people are starring a

Options
Okay My question is, would you still run in the rain? but the weather is not cold any-ways, just raining?? and do you care if people on the road are staring at you running? I ask this because i live in a main street, i got a cross trainer at home but i just want to go out with my iPod and run but i care about what people are thinking, people that are driving by and looking at me lol .

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't. I'm from Australia so it's hard for me to motivate myself to do anything in the rain since I'm not used to it :P I know a lot of people who do though - I think if you live somewhere that it rains a lot then you kind of have to if you want to keep your running fitness up.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Yessss I do!

I have just started C25K and although it is summer here in NZ we have had a few rainy days. I do my running at my kids school field and do it barefoot so the rain is a really beautiful feeling!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I ran in the rain for the first time last week! I wasn't going to at first but I threw caution to the wind and just went.

It was incredibly liberating to do. It didn't rain that hard but I wish it did because the water was cooling me down quite a bit.

It also forced to jog without my phone. No music or podcasts to help me take my mind off the running. It was easier than I thought. My mind just wandered. It was nice to be able to let my mind go a little.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I love running in the rain! It is exhilarating and actually nice to keep you cool. If it's really a heavy rain then the only down side is that it continues to get in your face & eyes. But a sprinkle is ideal I think.

Who cares if someone's watching. Heck, maybe it'll inspire others to not make petty excuses like imperfect weather.
  • sunnyh7
    sunnyh7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do as long as there is no lightning. :) I used to train with a running group and we ran regardless of weather. It kinda reminds me of when I used to be kid with no worries about getting wet or dirty. I really could care less what others think because I'm doing it for my health.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is the most incredible sense of empowerment that you can have! I get almost giddy when I see rain in the forecast now! The next thing I want to do is run in the snow
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I worry about running outside in general. People ALWAYS stare whether you are overweight or thin! I hate people looking at me ><
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    sounds fun but where I live rain = lighting so i dont think i would be running in the rain...
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain saves your body from having to sweat :P

But really some of my best runs have been in the rain. And not always warm rain. That's what happens when you're in Seattle.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    i dont run but i love walking in the rain, i live in the tropics so our summer is usually pretty wet :) its fantastic, unless we're flooded lol
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I will run in the rain if it is not lightning or too windy. Training for my first marathon I had a long run on a particularly wet and windy morning and the wind made the rain feel like needles on my face. Not fun.

Donna
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Who cares what people in cars driving by think?? They either think you're crazy, in which case f-- 'em, or they think you like running in the rain (which you are), or they wish they could be doing it too.

Or they didn't even notice you - that would be 90% of them.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain...and I don't care if people stare...more power to me!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Okay My question is, would you still run in the rain? but the weather is not cold any-ways, just raining?? and do you care if people on the road are staring at you running? I ask this because i live in a main street, i got a cross trainer at home but i just want to go out with my iPod and run but i care about what people are thinking, people that are driving by and looking at me lol .

I run in whatever crappy weather there is and nope I don't care if people stare or not. (unless it's a cute girl then she can stare away :blushing: ) I used to worry about what others thought of me while being in the gym @ 400+ lbs. I'll admit it took me a few months of getting over it at first but I eventually realized I am too damn important to worry or care if others stare.

but from a different point of view I could understand how some people maybe freaked out. a.k.a. a stalker, ex or something like that. if possible, safety in numbers.
  • tiggertail
    tiggertail Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yep definately! Only thing I miss when it rains is my music but then the wonderful sounds & smells from a fresh rainfall certainly make up for it! Don't worry about people staring, they obviously have very boring lives if they can't find anything else to look at.....you never know, maybe it might motivate them to get out in the fresh air too! xxx
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I don't run. But just wanted to reassure you, if I'm looking at someone running in the rain it's only out of admiration :flowerforyou:
  • freezee2010
    freezee2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, I run in the rain & no I don't really care what people say. If they didn't see you in the rain jogging, they'll be saying something anyway! lol I'm a black American woman living in Germany. I'm the only black women in my area for at least 30 miles so yes, I get looks all the time. You'll get use to it. Just pretend that they're the papparazzi! :)
  • freezee2010
    freezee2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Jogging in the rain feels great too (as long as it's not too windy). I love not having to worry about the sweat factor and keeping cool. I like it.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Just curious - why do you all think that when people look, that they're thinking something BAD? Don't be so paranoid people!
  • nicd100
    nicd100 Posts: 14
    Options
    Running in the rain is amazing (as long as its not torrential that hurts!), it always makes me smile.
    If people look at you it doesn't matter they are probably wishing they had the enthusiasm to do it too or they are looking but not staring as they are busy thinking about other things - don't let them stop you once you've been out a couple of times you wont even think about them
    :happy:

13983669.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods