Does anyone regret having had Gastric Bypass?

Options
Does anyone regret having had gastric bypass. I am 6 weeks out and pretty miserable. I know it's too late now but can anyone tell me if they felt like this and if it ever gets any better?

Replies

• Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The first few months can be completely awful. A lot of people regret it in that time frame. You're probably completely normal. What is making you regret it? I've never regretted mine, but that was also because I had a textbook recovery. Getting used to being full on eating hardly anything was rough, but in time, you'll be able to eat a small meal and you'll feel much better about it.
  • skatermom503
    Options
    I actually didn't have any problems from the surgery despite being an older person. And I followed the post-op diet carefully. I am now at the phase where no foods are restricted, i just have to find out what I can eat comfortably. One problem is that nothing tastes good and my mouth tastes like stale cigarettes (I don't smoke). I am encouraged that you said the 1st few months are hard. I am more hopeful this will get better now.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Oh yep! I remember the taste changes. Your taste buds will be messed up for a while. The stale cigarette taste is probably a result of you being in ketosis, where your body is burning a lot of fat. Drink lots and lots of water. It should pass. It'll happen intermittently for a few months. I had a metallicy taste and got dehydrated a lot. I ended up in the ER for dehydration, so drinking a lot right now is very important.
  • skatermom503
    Options
    OMG, finding you was a gift! Nobody I've talked to including my doctor had a clue about taste changes. It is like a metallic taste. I'm not crazy! What a relief. :) It's good to know that it won't be forever (hopefully). I don't drink enough water but I;m getting better. Oddly, plain water was the hardest thing for me to drink in the first month or so at least. It actually hurt. Now I am getting more down so will just keep working at it. Thank you so much for your support. The doctors aren't all that much help because unless you've been through this, you just can't know. I looked at you pictures, and you have become a totally different person physically. Congratulations!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about creating a new topic for this question, but I figure maybe I'll ask my question here instead.

To those of you who have had, or have thought about having, the gastric bypass surgery, or even lap band, or anything alike... why? I'm not criticizing or anything, I'm just wondering.... why'd you do it? Or why do you WANT to do it? It's a TON of money, a LOT of pain, and you STILL have to diet - extremely, at that - and exercise after healing. Like I said, I'm not criticizing... I've thought about doing one of these surgeries myself at one point, then I researched and researched and found that the first few months (even a year or two!) you have to go on a pretty extreme diet, and ease your way into eating new foods.... if you could do that POST-op, why not just do it all by yourself anyway? How much do the surgeries REALLY help? And for those who have to lose some weight in order to even get the surgeries done... why not just continue to do it yourself instead of putting yourself through all that?

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • tillmanlady
    tillmanlady Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skatermom503
    Options
    Some people can do it "themselves" and be successful. I have lost a lot of weight over the years but here I am at 58 with a starting weight of almost 400# and looking towards the end of my life. The decision to use surgery as an aid is very personal and different for everyone who makes it. It isn't a cure but it will help decrease how much you can physically eat so that it helps with portion control and types of foods eaten. I agree it sounds odd to have to lose weight BEFORE surgery (trust me, I was shocked) but the reason for it is to get some fat off the liver and have a safer surgery. Most people can lose some weight if there is an end in sight like losing 30# pre-op but when you are looking at losing 150 or 200# or more, it is overwhelming and very few people can do it. I think the younger the better for this life-changing procedure so that people can live their lives, not wait to live them. Please don't criticize anyone who makes this decision, it is not an easy fix and is dangerous but if it works it will change their life for the better. And the initial low calorie diet is easy because you really are not hungry. I am miserable now but it will get better and so will I. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • xhellokittycatx
    Options
    I was planning having gastric bypass surgery June 2 2010. Four days before my surgery, I called my doctors office to call it off. I was losing so much weight just counting calories and going to the gym. I was very focused. I am glad that I didn't do it. That was my choice. Surgery isn't for everyone.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about creating a new topic for this question, but I figure maybe I'll ask my question here instead.

To those of you who have had, or have thought about having, the gastric bypass surgery, or even lap band, or anything alike... why? I'm not criticizing or anything, I'm just wondering....

I was over 300 pounds and the stats on losing200 pounds AND keeping it off if you are that heavy are slim to none. I wanted my life back and am damn proud of myself for taking control and being healthy again. Plus I wanted to look good, too, which is the icing on the cake.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I do not regret having it, I regret not doing what I was suppose to with my weight gain now. I did not have the same taste buds for awhile either. I remember when I moved from Liquids to pureed my dr. told me anything can be pureed, SOOO not true Texture means a lot when it comes to food!! I lived off mash potatoes for the first week or so when i moved to pureed food.
  • kybrandyb
    kybrandyb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 months out today, and I would do it all over again. I had almost 200 pounds to lose and i have lost 140 of them. 47 to go. I felt like crap for 4 months but the weight was falling off so I was cool with it. I feel good now and can eat and actually get hungry again... but still fill up on almost nothing. I actually had the gastric sleeve.....
    And to answer the other persons question , its alot easier to diet when your not hungry and excersise when your knees can hold your weight. I have such an easier time walking and can even run some now
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I did not have a gastric bypass, but know enough people that were miserable for years after the surgery that I would not recommend it to anyone.
  • bflysmile
    Options
    I'm 5 weeks out and I'd do it again in a heartbeat and annoyed that I didn't do it 2 years ago when my doctor suggested it. The idea that people can just "do it on their own" is one that many people who have had surgery are going to find offensive, btw. Most of us have "done it on our own" and seen the weight come back (plus!) - nearly every diet study proves this.

For many people, a radical life style change is needed to cut the cord between your stomach and your head. There are many things about WLS that change your physiology that regaining the weight (although possible, certainly) is more difficult than when following a traditional diet plan. And on top of that things like NOT feeling hunger, having a physical reaction to eating more than you can in one sitting, and as someone mentioned being able to lose enough weight that exercise is possible - are ways that this tool can make permanent weight loss possible.

I would never recommend the surgery for someone who didn't have a history of weight-related issues. At 41 years old, I was staring at 300 pounds, early stage diabetes and sleep apnea. I was on 5 pills a day - all weight-related. Something had to change and WLS has given me a good tool to make that change.

I didn't do this to look better in a pair of jeans. I did it to save my life or not die prematurely.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Those that had complications and died would probably say they regret it, if they could. My sister had it and is completely happy, but she cant eat more than a few spoonful of food at a time. She has a lot of lose skin, however she is in her late 60's
  • Chrisandsteph99
    Options
    My sister had it done about 5 or 6 years ago. She lost a ton of weight and now has unfortunately gained most of it back. I try to get her motivated but it's not working. Her dilemma now is she can't ubsorb (sp) vitamins now because of the surgery and might have to have a blood tranfusion. Is this normal for gastric bypass patients? She said it is and I am so nervous for her.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    My mom had is done probably like 6 years ago, or so. She regrets it. Her stomach has stretched back out & she's gained like 40 lbs of her weight back [think she lost like 130 or something like that after she had]. The stomach stretching back out was her own fault, I'm pretty sure but yea. She did have a long period of time where she would puke almost every time she ate, even though her stomach is stretched back out mostly now, she still ends up getting sick sometimes. She lost the weight rapidly & was left with a lot of loose skin, so that was another downfall. She's trying to lose weight once again, hopefully this time it will be successful; I hate to see her struggle.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My sister had it done about 5 or 6 years ago. She lost a ton of weight and now has unfortunately gained most of it back. I try to get her motivated but it's not working. Her dilemma now is she can't ubsorb (sp) vitamins now because of the surgery and might have to have a blood tranfusion. Is this normal for gastric bypass patients? She said it is and I am so nervous for her.

It sounds like your sister's surgeon didn't properly prepare her for her surgery with visiting a nutritionist. When you have gastric bypass, you automatically have mal-absorbtion due to the change in the way things are digested. Vitamins are required every day to be healthy. If they aren't taken, you can have many problems with vitamin deficiency..... My husband had gastric bypass and lost 200 lbs. He is 5 years post- op and has had no problems at all. He tells me that he would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • Jme140
    Jme140 Posts: 1
    Options
    Some people are too over whelmed by the amount of weight they have gained. This over whelming feeling keeps them from being abel to get started because they can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I haven't had any thing like this done but have had that feeling of I don't even know where to start. Good luck to those who have had the surgery, Weight loss is hard work, but together we can achive a healthier life.:smile:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I haven't but my mother did. I still miss her 11 years later. Please think about this carefully. It is so hard for the families to go on after the loss of a loved one because of this surgery.

She was never told how high the mortality rate was for the first year. Would it have changed her mind? Probably not but do some research and talk to your family.

To answer the question about blood transfusion -- is it "normal" no but it does happen a lot.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I hope you can work out your issues with the surgery and congrats on your loss. I know it's hard work for anyone to lose 100+ lbs, and you should be commended for all your hard work. Please be safe and make sure you check with your doctor before doing anything against your protocol.