Any trick to drink 8 cups of water per day?

Options

Replies

• PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    For me I need to have my water with me at all times, even when I'm not thirsty. Just seeing it helps remind me to drink it. Also, for some reason, it's easier for me to get my water in when I'm drinking it with a straw.

Totally agree. I also bought myself a plastic tumbler with a lid and straw (walmart for around $5). the water goes down so much easier. :smile: Plus I need it to be ice cold.

What they said! :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    In real terms it should read 8 cups of liquid. Any more than 2 litres of liquid a day can be harmful. That includes tea, coffee and drinks like coca cola/lemonade. Other than coffee/tea I only drink water. I add a squeeze of lime or lemon (e.g. Berri 99% lemon juice) to the water....makes it tasty.
    How is it harmful? I drink over a gallon of water almost every day. More if I'm doing something strenuous outside in the heat. I've been doing it for years.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm going to commit blasphemy here and tell you not to worry about. The need to drink 8 cups of water a day is a medical myth (http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp this is just one source). Most of us get all the water we need through the food we eat, especially if we are eating clean with high water content food like fruits and vegetables, not to mention other beverages we might drink during the day. Don't get me wrong, you need to stay well hydrated, especially if you are losing water through exercise, etc.. I also know that some people use it as a way to help fill the their stomach before or during meals. Unfortunately, there is evidence that lots of water in your stomach with meals hinders digestion, slowing it down and making your alimentary tract less efficient. Finally, my proof is in my own results. I don't track my water but I know that i don't drink 8 glasses a day and it has not slowed my progress down.

9114468.png

I concur
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    If your urine is a light yellow, then you probably are taking in enough water. Count your broth in soups, liquids in your protein drink, juice,milk and water itself. Doesn't have to be just plain water.
  • gravesgrg
    Options
    Drink tea:) This contributes nicely to your 8 glasses a day!

Isn't tea a diuretic? Would that affect the amount you had to drink?

I agree, though. I love a cold, unsweetend ice tea with lemon.
  • gravesgrg
    Options
    I find it easier if there is some flavor. I altenate between adding a squirt of lemon juice or key lime juice to my water (I have a favorite juice brand that is more concentrated than the typical store brands, but it's available at my local grocer). I find that I always have a glass of it with me when I am home.

At work I use an insulated tumbler with ice and purified water (we have an RO water dispenser connected in the kitchen). Gives me a good excuse to break from the computer when the 20 oz bottle is empty and I have to refill it.
  • SLT4273
    SLT4273 Posts: 56
    Options
    I drink 16 ounces with every snack or meal, regardless of how small it is. I start with a new 16 oz bottle each day and refill it all day long. It's easy to drink it all when you have it w/each meal or snack. :flowerforyou:
  • mortla
    mortla Posts: 73
    Options
    Personally I am not a big water person. The way I get myself to do it is by adding Crystal Light packets. I need favor :)
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have an hour commute to work, so I commit to drink one bottle on my way. I have to stop drinking about 3:30 to 4pm to make sure I can make the ride home. So I have to drink the other 3 by then. But starting out with the bottle on the way to work really keeps my momentum. I find if I miss it, I struggle with meeting by goal. Also the 20 ounce bottles help. Two bottles equals 5 cups! I'm so used to drinking water now, it's not a struggle to meet it. Also you can try crystal light or the sort, even sparking water with crystal light helps the desire for soda.

Good luck
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    Try drinking from a straw. I bought a plastic cup with a lid and straw. I keep one at work and at home. You drink it faster and it really helps.

Definitely! I had a hard time getting in 8 glasses of water then I bought a big 32 oz mug with a straw. I have no problem drinking two of those 32 oz mugs and for some reason I drink much quicker through a straw.
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I actually have a water bottle that holds 28 oz so 3 glasses. One of the first things I do in the morning is fill my water bottle and finish the whole bottle before breakfast while getting ready for the day. I refill then and and try a finsh the second bottle by 12:00. I also drink water for meals. But it isn't too hard to get another 2 glasses after 12:00 around here. I usually get in 12 glasses a day.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For me I need to have my water with me at all times, even when I'm not thirsty. Just seeing it helps remind me to drink it. Also, for some reason, it's easier for me to get my water in when I'm drinking it with a straw.

Edited to add this... I've read that when our bodies are thirsty, we've actually waited too late to drink the water.

Hope this helps. :smile:

This, I bought a 32 oz. reusable bottle with a straw from Walmart and keep it with me at all times at work. I need to buy another for my house.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Drink tea:) This contributes nicely to your 8 glasses a day!

Isn't tea a diuretic? Would that affect the amount you had to drink?

I agree, though. I love a cold, unsweetend ice tea with lemon.
    Water is a diuretic, so, no. It doesn't change the amount you need to drink. Water, tea, juice, soda, coffee, beer, all of these, plus just about anything else you can think of (except maybe hard liquor) will count toward your hydration.

In fact, this whole ridiculous myth started because a doctor in the 70's mentioned in a book that the average person in average conditions should drink about 8 cups of fluid a day for proper hydration. Notice I said fluid, because he included juice, coffee, tea, soda and everything else toward that goal. It was the bottled water industry that changed the word "fluid" to the word "water" in an effort to boost sales.

In other words "drink 8 cups of water a day" is nothing more than marketing.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 ounce mug from when my Mom was in the hospital. I fill it up in the morning and it's finished by the time I leave for work. That's half. After that I may or may not get in the rest but at least I know I've had quite a bit already.
  • Hecnotha1
    Hecnotha1 Posts: 200
    Options
    crystal light lemonade, ots so good, but as soon as you are done it makes you thirsty again
  • mhollywood1
    Options
    I'm going to commit blasphemy here and tell you not to worry about. The need to drink 8 cups of water a day is a medical myth (http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp this is just one source). Most of us get all the water we need through the food we eat, especially if we are eating clean with high water content food like fruits and vegetables, not to mention other beverages we might drink during the day. Don't get me wrong, you need to stay well hydrated, especially if you are losing water through exercise, etc.. I also know that some people use it as a way to help fill the their stomach before or during meals. Unfortunately, there is evidence that lots of water in your stomach with meals hinders digestion, slowing it down and making your alimentary tract less efficient. Finally, my proof is in my own results. I don't track my water but I know that i don't drink 8 glasses a day and it has not slowed my progress down.

9114468.png

Sorry but I believe one should consult with their primary care physician about how much water intake is right for the person.... some people may require more if they are taking certain medications, certain lines of work may demand more water-intake, etc...

My family is full of doctors, all unanimous that the modern day advice to chug down eight glasses of water a day in addition to other liquids is a pile of nonsense.

I agree with PP that one needs to consult with their own primary care physician. I think that in most circumstances you do get enough water from regular consumption and food sources but as the PP stated there are medical conditions and medications that require a higher intake of water. I am exclusively breast feeding currently and I'm sure even your family full of doctors would agree that I need to "chug" 8 glasses of water since other liquids such as coffee, tea, and milk can cause issues with my child.

I get my water by drinking it cold with fresh lemon in it. I always have a tall glass of water with me and drink it with lunch and dinner.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses of water a day is a myth. You need the equivalent of 8 cups of water a day on average, from any source. These sources can be pure water/tea/coffee/juice/soda/milk/fruit/veg etc. It does NOT have to be pure neat water!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/07/wellness-water-8x8-myth.html

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

Water is a good way to get hydrated without adding calories.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My stepmom just got me a personalized insulated cup. I'd say it holds close to 2 cups of liquid. I can handle hot and cold beverages and keeps them cold or hot for a long time. I take my morning coffee in it and when I'm done I rinse it out and refill it with water all day long while I'm at work. It has my name on it and a little running girl. I love it because it's unique to me! I also take it to the gym... keeps my ice water cold for my whole workout.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    my water bottle is 3 cups... i drink room temperature water so i can drink a lot at once.. i just make sure i fill up my water bottle 3 times a day and i'm good to go :)
  • Faiththefattie
    Options
    I like to 8 bracelets or rubberbands on my arm and every time I drink 1 glass of water I take 1 rubberband off, so its helps me remember to drink up. :)